FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sewing my own seats...or at least attempting to.

My VIN:    4534

Sewing my own seats...or at least attempting to.

First off, yes, I can sew. My grandmother taught me a long time ago. I haven't done it in awhile thought so I'm going to be rusty. Plus this is automotive interior, much more difficult than a shirt. But this is something I've wanted to learn how to do for awhile. I also have the lady at my mom's church for help and a really nice book. I decided to make the seats myself with her assistance instead of having her do all the sewing. I wanted to make the Nova's seat covers when the time comes but they are both bench seats. The Mustang had perfect interior when I bought it so there was no reason to mess with it. However, the Delorean seats are in bad shape. Cory W sent me a torn up cover to use as a template. I wanted to do something small to start so when I mess up (which I expect to a lot) I won't ruin a lot of fabric. The Nova seat is almost 2 yards to itself. The Delorean bucket is a lot smaller than that. Plus it is a two piece seat. The seat area is small and I can try over and over to get it right.

I'm trying to decide on the material now. I found vinyl is easier to take care of, cheaper (for when I screw up), and comes in a variety of colors. I know I want a perforated look to the center sections of the seats kind of like the modern sports cars have. I also may go with a two tone. I'm leaning toward a slightly darker center with a stock appearing outer. I borrowed and altered the seat picture from Hervey's site to get an idea of what I may want. It is extremely crude but it works.

I decided I don't like the lighter center section. I've got 3 sets of darker perforated samples to choose from. I'll try to get pictures of them in the light with my stock colored vinyl tomorrow. I know they vary from almost a perfect match to very dark gray. I'm open to thoughts and suggestions.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

I managed to get some pictures today. Why is it when you want to start a project you suddenly get bombarded with all sorts of other things?

I think the second from the left is the color I am going to order. It'll be two tone without having too much contrast.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

I finally have something to show from this project.

It looks large because it's just laying on the seat. I still have to sew the supporting edges on but I can't do that until I sew in the welt. Still trying to locate a reasonable source for welt cord. I don't need a spool that costs 80 bucks and has enough to wrap around the earth twice.

They may not be perfect but they'll be better than the torn up mess I have now. Plus it's another thing I can check off as having done myself.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

That's looking very good! The two-tone is also noticeable, yet subtle at the same time.

I've been interested in seeing your progress on this. Anxious to see the next step, when you're ready.

My VIN:    3757

Looks GREAT!. As for welting... try a normal fabric store, they sell by the yard... or go to a Auto upholstry shop, and ask if you can just buy a few yards, most people are happy to help.

Craig

Thanks guys, it's been an interesting project so far. I'm fascinated by how the seat is put together. The local Joann's didn't have any welting. I forgot to check around in Hobby Lobby last time I was there. I was too busy checking out the metal garage signs they started carrying. Not cheap but some very cool stuff. I'll check the local auto upholstery shop but they don't even sell carpeting. Seriously, no carpeting at all.

I started the seat back today since I can't finish the bottom quite yet. I wanted to get a shot of it in the car but it got too dark for a decent photo. I just laid it on my bed for this shot.

I thought about getting DMC stitched to the headrest area but I figure for my first go at this I'd keep it simple. Plus I was afraid it might look tacky.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

My VIN:    05141

I think you did very well, especially for a first time.
    Jan

Steering with power

Thank you. It's going so well so far I'm nervous that I'm going to mess something up in the next few steps. I found welt cord today. I found it at a furniture upholstery store. I also purchased some thin brass rod for the seat bottom and back tacking points.

I didn't do any real work on the seat but I did take it out for a "test fit". I stretched the bottom over the seat as much as I could with all the brackets in the way. I think it's going to fit well. The darker gray center piece needs to be brought in a little toward the middle. It looks like it should be tapered but the seat I took apart was a little too messed up to see that. Oh well, at least I cut it a little too large instead of a little too small.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

I would be very proud of that. Great job.

All I have to do to complete the bottom is to sew in the two inner center supports and cut around the seat supports during install. I've taken the back partially apart because the headrest is giving me fits. It's an extremely complex piece, at least with my limited skills.

When the back is complete I'm going to install this one on the driver's seat since it'll get the most abuse. I may drive it like that for a bit to see if I have any issues before I make the passenger seat. Yeah, it'll look funny but I don't want to make two pieces of junk if I can help it.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast