FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Driver side torsion bar replacements - options/experiences

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

This torsion bar has been installed in our test car for about 7.5 years now and while the visible rust has grown, the bar still works fine. We have intentionally not done any maintenance or attempted any clean-up/refinishing to try and slow this process. Overall, we're pretty pleased with it and if we can make it to ten years with this one we'll consider it a great success. Even if it breaks tomorrow, we've had a good, working torsion bar for about $115 year (plus installation labor).

torsion bar dmoco jan 2017.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    We just got the Stage III car back from being at DMCF/DCS and noticed the aftermarket DMOCO torsion bar is starting to rust. It's a little over three years since installation.

The original bars were a fairly esoteric variant of 301 stainless. DMOCO's are some type of mild steel and then powdercoated. The slight twisting of the torsion bar has caused the powdercoating to fail and rust has formed as shown in the attached photo.

I've emailed Rick this photo and asked him to check with their supplier for recommendations. At 3+ years, it's out of warranty.

James
    James Espey, President
    DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
    http://www.lcassicdmc.com

My VIN:    03572

Heat shrink tubing would probably solve the rusting problem if don't when the bar is new. You can seal the ends with RTV just to make sure.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    This torsion bar has been installed in our test car for about 7.5 years now and while the visible rust has grown, the bar still works fine. We have intentionally not done any maintenance or attempted any clean-up/refinishing to try and slow this process. Overall, we're pretty pleased with it and if we can make it to ten years with this one we'll consider it a great success. Even if it breaks tomorrow, we've had a good, working torsion bar for about $115 year (plus installation labor).

torsion bar dmoco jan 2017.jpg
    Hi James. Do you have any update on how the torsion bar is doing?

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6