FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: What receiver-dryer should 2638 have? Also, AC question.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Thanks guys. It looks like there is a heavy gauge spring in the hole. I agree to cover it. Otherwise, if its vertically oriented, it would fill up with water ( in theory). I'll cover the top with a round piece of clear tape.

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Yes, it's spring loaded and as you mentioned , will stand vertical when installed. On the Hub hose configuration it sits in a downward position. Any potential water would drain out. The one thing I'm not sure about is if the RV is installed with an O-ring, I never unscrewed it from the Hub.

Dennis
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Dana, did you ever get that new accumulator to work?
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Dana, did you ever get that new accumulator to work?
    I'm still working on it, but I found a shop that makes custom A/C aluminum tubes, and knew exactly what I needed. I just need to spec it out and send it to them. The owner said it will probably be $15 or $20. So, all told, I can make a new accumulator that is close to the early version for around $50.

The unit that I linked to above has a body that is shorter than the original, due to the bottom fitting being included in the 9" length of the original. That makes sense, because otherwise with a 9" body and a fitting, it would be too long. I can't think of a reason for a shorter body to be a problem, unless the volume of the accumulator is critical. Other thoughts?

I'll buy one for comparison. The only downside to this set up that I can see is an additional joint that might leak. To me, it's worth it to maintain the early hose that is tucked along the frame.

When I get the time to do this, it would be great if someone with CAD skills can partner with me to create a professional specification. Then, after I verify that it works, the shop can hang on to the specs and make one for whoever else wants one.

I also emailed John Hervey to pitch that product solution to revive the early accumulator, since he has the early hose. He hasn't responded yet, but when I talked to him a couple weeks ago he said he doesn't get many inquiries on the early accumulator.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

..I realized I have a NOS a/c accumulator on the shelf which I thought to install after my a/c box restoration, do you think is worth to use it after 35 years of storage? Houston is still selling them...
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

As long as the sealed protection Caps are in place it should be fine to use.

Dennis
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    ..I realized I have a NOS a/c accumulator on the shelf which I thought to install after my a/c box restoration, do you think is worth to use it after 35 years of storage? Houston is still selling them...
    That is a good question. First how good the sealing caps worked for 35 years. Second is the dryer pellets were made for R12 so will it work for R134?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I'm back on track with my A/C refurb, and I have a question about the late style accumulator, specifically, what is the original orientation of the low side fitting/hose and low pressure switch fitting and is that desirable to avoid interference in the wheelwell?

Here are the pictures from the four seasons catalog of the 2 units discussed above:

The Corvette unit (33177)
    Attachment 52815

The Olds Firenza unit (33186)
    Attachment 52816

Also, this unit looks like some OEM pictures I've seen:
    (This is also an Olds Firenza unit)
    image.jpg

If anyone could post a picture of the OEM late style accumulator installed showing where the low side hose is in relation to the frame/wheelwell that would be helpful for me to decide whether I'll stick with the early style or convert to the late style.

Thanks!
    Dana

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    I'm back on track with my A/C refurb, and I have a question about the late style accumulator, specifically, what is the original orientation of the low side fitting/hose and low pressure switch fitting and is that desirable to avoid interference in the wheelwell?

Here are the pictures from the four seasons catalog of the 2 units discussed above:

The Corvette unit (33177)
    image.jpg

The Olds Firenza unit (33186)
    image.jpg

Also, this unit looks like some OEM pictures I've seen:
    (This is also an Olds Firenza unit)
    image.jpg

If anyone could post a picture of the OEM late style accumulator installed showing where the low side hose is in relation to the frame/wheelwell that would be helpful for me to decide whether I'll stick with the early style or convert to the late style.

Thanks!
    Apologies. The pictures didn't upload last time. I've fixed them. Also, I saw a picture of the late style OEM accumulator installed, and it seems to route the hose under the accumulator, close to the frame and tucked behind the shock tower. For some reason I thought that that version allowed the low side hose to protrude into the wheel well a lot more. That's good.

That makes me more in favor of switching to the late version. If somebody has a picture of the Corvette accumulator installed, that would be good to see, especially on what port you installed your low pressure switch. I'm not crazy about how it's stuck out in the well on my early version.

(My goal here in this exercise is to tuck the hose and the switch out of the wheel well as much as possible.)

Thanks.
    Dana

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7