FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What receiver-dryer should 2638 have? Also, AC question.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If there was a sight glass it could be helpful to charge the system, it would bubble when the compressor cycles. One big draw-back with a sight glass, you cannot tell an empty system from a full one, all you can see in a sight glass is bubbles and there won't be bubbles in an empty system.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Ok, so in order to use the A/C accumulator from a 1986 Corvette, I need to change the low pressure hose. Which one do I need to use from what vender, this one?

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean...b-assembly.jpg

and then It should work? The set up I have looks exactly like this-

but adding the AC hub assembly will I end up with 2 low pressure switches, or is it a high pressure / low pressure switch now, and I need to re-wire from the existing switch? Also, will I need to replace all the other hoses too or are the fittings the same? Also, split Vs continuous hoses?
    As I read this informative thread, I have a question: Is it only Special-T/DAP that has the earlier accumulator? If so, does it cross to another application (like the later one does to the Corvette), or is it either old stock or another unit that Hervey has modified to fit? In any case, for anyone who has bought it, does it fit? How do you like it? Any problems? Etc.

Thanks!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    As I read this informative thread, I have a question: Is it only Special-T/DAP that has the earlier accumulator? If so, does it cross to another application (like the later one does to the Corvette), or is it either old stock or another unit that Hervey has modified to fit? In any case, for anyone who has bought it, does it fit? How do you like it? Any problems? Etc.

Thanks!
    Never underestimate the power of cross referencing the old fashoned way, either take a trip to the local auto parts store and ask to look at their Four Seasons Accumulator catalog and compare the accumulator pictures to the early vin DMC accumulator. In the alternative, you could download the Four Seasons catalog. This was how I Confirmed that the Four Seasons 33186 was an exact match for the later style accumulator (it crosses to a 1988 Olds Firenza). The Corvette accumulator places the low side hose way too close to the wheel.

For the low vin app, you may want to look at the accumulator for a 1983 Olds Toronado. Some of them use a interchangable outlet on the bottom, thus you would need to find the correct outlet pipe for the DeLorean.

My VIN:    3294

If I'm going to invest this much into the AC system, I'd like to protect that investment as much as possible if I can.

Is the connector to the HP switch available separately? How would one wire the new connection up and fabricate a new harness?
    I just got through doing this exact same thing on my car earlier this week. Installing the connection for the high pressure switch at the base of the condenser is VERY easy.
    At the low pressure switch harness (behind the passenger side front tire) there are 4 wires going into the connector for the low pressure switch. One side of the connector has 3 wires, the other side of the connector has one wire. Cut the side with one wire and connect accordingly to the diagram shown below.

Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Never underestimate the power of cross referencing the old fashoned way, either take a trip to the local auto parts store and ask to look at their Four Seasons Accumulator catalog and compare the accumulator pictures to the early vin DMC accumulator. In the alternative, you could download the Four Seasons catalog. This was how I Confirmed that the Four Seasons 33186 was an exact match for the later style accumulator (it crosses to a 1988 Olds Firenza). The Corvette accumulator places the low side hose way too close to the wheel.

For the low vin app, you may want to look at the accumulator for a 1983 Olds Toronado. Some of them use a interchangable outlet on the bottom, thus you would need to find the correct outlet pipe for the DeLorean.
    Thanks Andrew. I looked at the Toronado unit and it doesn't look the same.. as far as the bottom tube being welded on. I'll keep researching.

Really, I don't mind paying a vendor for a quality product, so I wonder if Hervey's is a new cross reference unit that is the same as the early VIN unit, or if it is one that he engineered to fit. Does anyone who bought one know? Is it exactly the unit pictured on his website?

Here's why I'm asking. Below is an RPM relay that I bought soon after I got my car. After I got it, I discovered that he engineered it to let the heat escape....

image.jpg

I kid you not. This modification wasn't pictured on his website. It looks like it suffered an alien probe. It worked, but it wasn't exactly concourse! I wouldn't want to order the accumulator and have to through the hassle of returning it.

Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd View Post
    I just got through doing this exact same thing on my car earlier this week. Installing the connection for the high pressure switch at the base of the condenser is VERY easy.
    At the low pressure switch harness (behind the passenger side front tire) there are 4 wires going into the connector for the low pressure switch. One side of the connector has 3 wires, the other side of the connector has one wire. Cut the side with one wire and connect accordingly to the diagram shown below.
    Thanks for the great info Barry. I too have a very early VIN without the high pressure switch. I'm going to add one for safety as part of my AC recommissioning.

Question for anyone who knows: I see that DMC has the wire harness for the HPS. I wonder if some of the cars without one have the provision on the harness to plug it in? The reason I ask is I see this connector in the passenger side footwell...

image.jpg

Currently it seems to be bypassed. Is this perhaps where you connect the HPS harness?

Thanks!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Here's why I'm asking. Below is an RPM relay that I bought soon after I got my car. After I got it, I discovered that he engineered it to let the heat escape....

image.jpg

I kid you not. This modification wasn't pictured on his website. It looks like it suffered an alien probe.
    LOL, oh, Hervey. Typical.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Thanks!
    It is my understanding that JH doesn't have anymore of the Early style accumulators available. Even if they were readily available, they were about $100 IIRC. I have the same dilemma as you now, which is why I am opting to replace all my hoses since I have to replace the low side to fit a newer style accumulator anyway.

Question for anyone who knows: I see that DMC has the wire harness for the HPS. I wonder if some of the cars without one have the provision on the harness to plug it in? The reason I ask is I see this connector in the passenger side footwell...

image.jpg

Currently it seems to be bypassed. Is this perhaps where you connect the HPS harness?

Thanks!
    I am really interested to see if that is the case. I want to check my car now and see if I have the same plug! I wasn't looking forward to cutting and splicing in a HPS.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    02613

image.jpg

If memory serves, that is correct. It's been a while since I re-did my a/c, but I recall checking continuity at that connector and it rang to the LP switch. (I know the wire's the same color, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything on these cars! LOL) Do you have a digital multi meter you can use to check continuity?
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    If memory serves, that is correct. It's been a while since I re-did my a/c, but I recall checking continuity at that connector and it rang to the LP switch. (I know the wire's the same color, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything on these cars! LOL) Do you have a digital multi meter you can use to check continuity?
    Thanks! I'll do testing with my multi meter.
    Dana

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

So, I have combed the catalogs of a few manufacturers, and I found 33204 from Four Seasons to be the approximate dimensions (very close or exact at first pass), and switch placement of the original low vin accumulator. As a bonus, it's around $21.

image.jpeg

What do you think? Is it a match?

So, like Andrew said, I would just need to figure out the bottom tube. I see part 34208 which I suppose can be cut to the right length and re-flared it with a 3/4" tool, depending on the type of flare.

Question: does anyone know the type of flare that the bottom of the low vin unit has, where it connects to the hose? A picture would be fabulous. Is it one of these two types:

A)
    image.jpeg

B)
    image.jpeg

By the way, I called DAP and like Brandon said, they don't sell the low vin version anymore. John said that he had a major Dallas AC manufacturer make them. So I guess this avenue is my only viable shot to keep it somewhat original.

Thanks for your help.
    Dana

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast