FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DCS 2012: Travel Updates ... Gas Prices, Construction Notices, Speed Traps, etc.

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I agree ... CB Radios come in handy. Both the Diesel RV and the F350 Ext. Cab Dually will be running with CB Radio coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I really need to get back into the world of CB radio. There was a time when I put a CB and a huge antenna on every car I owned. It would be awesome to put a CB in the Delorean and listen to truckers while going down the highway. I just don't know where I would put an antenna on the car.

I wonder if there are any hand held units powerful enough to talk a few miles without an external antenna. With a decent CB and huge antenna you can talk to people 10 miles away. Laugh all you want but a CB gives far more accurate information than any radar detector or traffic alert service.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    I agree ... CB Radios come in handy. Both the Diesel RV and the F350 Ext. Cab Dually will be running with CB Radio coverage.
    Are your Deloreans going to be covered? I bet it would be an entertaining ride listening to truckers talk about your cars.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Are your Deloreans going to be covered? I bet it would be an entertaining ride listening to truckers talk about your cars.
    ahem..from post 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    FYI - for those interested, below is the route I will be taking to DCS 2012 (to help confirm any D Rex Sightings).

I plan to depart Illinois next Monday, following this route:

I-57 S from Central IL to where it intersects I-55 S
    I-55 S into the Memphis area (to say Hi to Elvis)
    I-55 S to about Hammond, LA, where it intersects I-10 / I-12
    I-10 E to the Pensacola area (for a brief stop at the beach)
    I-10 E to I-95 S to Daytona Beach (D Rex drives the beach?)
    I-4 W from Daytona Beach, FL to Downtown Disney Orlando, FL

I plan to arrive at the Hilton, late Wednesday afternoon.

Thanks,
    Rich W.

BTW: The D Rex will be on a open trailer, the D Limo in enclosed trailer.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    06960

I just don't know where I would put an antenna on the car.
    For years Bruce Benson would attach a CB antenna to one of the lower luggage rack mounts, since his car had luggage rack mounts. The comments from Truckers, especially when you get a large caravan going, can be very entertaining.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Jim is correct. IIRC, Bruce used a "mirror mount" bracket on one of the round tubes on the luggage rack,
    which is about the same diameter as the round mirror brackets on most trucks (at least prior to 1995).

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    For years Bruce Benson would attach a CB antenna to one of the lower luggage rack mounts, since his car had luggage rack mounts. The comments from Truckers, especially when you get a large caravan going, can be very entertaining.

My VIN:    6654

Club(s):   (DCF)

If you are coming down I-95 and thinking about crossing 301 to get to I-75 be careful in Lawtey and Waldo.

There is a huge billboard that warns you Lawtey is a speed trap.

http://autoclubsouth.aaa.com/PGR/traffic_traps.aspx
    <<<
    These two small Florida communities are located on U.S. Highway 301 situated about halfway between Jacksonville and Gainesville and still depend on revenue generated by traffic tickets to help meet their annual budget.
    >>>

If it was me I'd stay on I-95 to I-4
    Last edited by Lenny; 06-05-2012 at 06:41 PM.
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

My VIN:    02378 & 15500 - Previous owner of 4363, 5319, 5692, 10246, 01924, 04389, 03133, 11408, 10989

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Atlanta Question

What time does morning traffic get bad in Atlanta? Should I go through the city or around?

I'm leaving early Tuesday morning for Daytona to spend a day at the beach prior to attending the show and would appreciate any info. I'm going to lose an hour on the way and it's about four hours to Atlanta so I'm guessing I"ll have to leave here around 12:00 AM. I prefer to travel at night anyway.

See everyone in Orlando.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean02378 View Post
    What time does morning traffic get bad in Atlanta? Should I go through the city or around?

I'm leaving early Tuesday morning for Daytona to spend a day at the beach prior to attending the show and would appreciate any info. I'm going to lose an hour on the way and it's about four hours to Atlanta so I'm guessing I"ll have to leave here around 12:00 AM. I prefer to travel at night anyway.

See everyone in Orlando.

Kirk
    If you get through downtown Atlanta before 6 you should be fine.

Traffic patterns tend to be coming into the city and communities north of the city.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Sphiend - VIN 6510
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

My VIN:    16655

I-75 South in Northern TN

Those of you headed down from my neck of the woods or further North that plan to take I-75 will start seeing signs as you get near the southern end of Kentuck about I-75 going down to one lane.

Having just gone through THAT nightmare, I HIGHLY recommend following their instructions for the detour- when I went through around 5pm this afternoon it was about an hour and a half of crawling along up and down hills at speeds too low for the speedo to register. Even if the detour is twice the distance and only 35 mph it's WAY better than getting stuck in that mess.

Thankfully 16655 made it through with flying colors, but I was more than a bit worried about the cooling system, clutch, and my foot from having to work it constantly.

My VIN:    4534

I10 in the Pensacola area seems to be clear after the storms. However, be careful what exits you take as there are a few roads that are closed/underwater.

Rich, I don't know where in Pensacola your family wants to see the beach but I110 looks to be your safest route to get to Pensacola Beach and back to the interstate. A lot of roads to and from Perdido Beach are closed. Highway 59 seems to be clear all the way to Gulf Shores but that's one heck of a trek out of the way to see a beach, even though the Gulf Shores beaches are nicer
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast