FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: My Bad.. previous post...I meant running Open loop - what are the steps to Diagnosis?

My VIN:    16245

My Bad.. previous post...I meant running Open loop - what are the steps to Diagnosis?

Oops.. I had my terms flipped! ("Open" and "Close" loop .. the semantics)

Ok, I've been running 16245 for about a year. I'm pretty sure it's been running open loop for all that time.

Actually, it runs pretty well. Good mileage (about 22-25) and throttle response. Occasional hiccups, which I know is mixture related.

I've tried to put a dwell meter on it twice, and the needle stays consistent. I did this on my other car - 1722 and it worked like it should. So I know how to check Dwell and adjust mixture to center around 40.

What are the steps to use a meter to check voltages to the frequency valve (it buzzes) and ECU (and any other items to check)

I do have the option of swapping parts from my other car too. I tried the Lambda relay - that was not it.

My RPM relay is good - I have Dave's (Bitsyncmasters) RPM relay too.

Thanks!
    Jeff
    Q: How do you make a small fortune restoring a DeLorean?
    A: Start out with a large fortune!

Vin 16245 (83, 5sp Blk) aka Stinky

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Might have a bad O2 sensor. Check the ECU with a battery as per the Workshop Manual and see what you get. You should also trip the WOT micro and see what happens. If you can't get it into 'closed loop" either your mixture is way off, the freq valve is not running, or your O2 sensor isn't working.
    David Teitelbaum

[QUOTE=JeffKay;58606]Oops.. I had my terms flipped! ("Open" and "Close" loop .. the semantics)

[QUOTE=David T;58616]Might have a bad O2 sensor. Check the ECU with a battery as per the Workshop Manual and see what you get. You should also trip the WOT micro and see what happens. If you can't get it into 'closed loop" either your mixture is way off, the freq valve is not running, or your O2 sensor isn't working.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by JeffKay View Post
    David, I have the workshop manual. I wish the PDF was searchable!

I could not find how to Check the ECU with a battery as per the Workshop Manual.. do you know what page that's on or what steps.. It seems like pages D:04:12 .. but I don't know exactly how to...

On Pages D:04:15 it mentions the dwell readings for the o2 sensor disconnected and different dwell readings for the lead disconnected, ground lead.. ??

Thanks again
    Jeff

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by JeffKay View Post

I've tried to put a dwell meter on it twice, and the needle stays consistent. I did this on my other car - 1722 and it worked like it should. So I know how to check Dwell and adjust mixture to center around 40.
    Jeff
    What was your dwell meter reading? You may just need to adjust the mixture. If your to far off than the dwell will read constant low or high. Since the FV is buzzing, your ECU is most likly working. If your WOT switch is stuck on (not likly) the reading will be constant.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    What was your dwell meter reading? You may just need to adjust the mixture. If your to far off than the dwell will read constant low or high. Since the FV is buzzing, your ECU is most likly working. If your WOT switch is stuck on (not likly) the reading will be constant.
    You two were right (You and David) ! The dwell was so far lean, the readings were off the meter. I richened it about 1/4 a turn , then I fine tuned it. All good now. I'm amazed it ran that lean.

Thanks all!