FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Temporary binnacle fix/covers?

Temporary binnacle fix/covers?

I was wondering what some members have done to temporary improve the appearance of the binnacle?i have a crack right down the middle.i ordered a dash mat but it was not for a delorean when it arrived lol so i am waiting on another .I know dmc is working on one apparently to be done in the next few months?.anyways until then how can i hide this dash crack?...i am not a fan of the upholstered ones and hope i can get a good replacement in the very near future.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by lamboman View Post
    I was wondering what some members have done to temporary improve the appearance of the binnacle?i have a crack right down the middle.i ordered a dash mat but it was not for a delorean when it arrived lol so i am waiting on another .I know dmc is working on one apparently to be done in the next few months?.anyways until then how can i hide this dash crack?...i am not a fan of the upholstered ones and hope i can get a good replacement in the very near future.
    I believe DMC CA had a leather covered one available for a while... Not sure if they still have them.

Otherwise the ne manufactured original appearance once will be available in two weeks at DCS.

Cheers.
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

DMCH sells a cheap dash repalcement that costs about $230 (I think). Its not the best but it is low cost and is better than a cracked dash. Your best bet is to have your dash recovered but some people have reported it costing over $300. I replaced my cracked dash with one of the DMCH (it was thrown in free when I purchased my car) and am somewhat satisfied. Several studs did break upon installation.

When I get around to it I am going to attempt to refurbish my original dash with materials such as bondo, fiberglass, paint, and reinstall it. The original dashes are much better quality than the plastic ones being sold by DMCH.

If you want a temporary solution to make things look better just buy you a dash mat made for the Delorean. They only cost about $30 and can be ordered from most vendors.

Edit: I thought he was also talking about dash board but I was wrong. Don't hold your breath waiting for a DMCH binnacle. Most of us don't believe they are ever going to happen.

My VIN:    000774

Club(s):   (DMA)

I had reskinned the black dash in my car which was faded and had a large crack down the middle as well. Went to Jo Ans fabric and picked up 2 yards of alpine black vinyl and it couldnt have come out better. I filled the crack with resin and sanded it down flush and level. I reccomend this to anyone who doesnt want to drop 300 on a replacement. This looks just as nice, possibly better, and the grain is spot on with the rest of the leather in the car. Very easy to install just cut out a pattern with the dash, spray the dash with 3M adhesive and staple the edges back underneath where they wont be visible. Im told they also sell this in a grey that matches perfectly as well.5050036763652_ORIG.jpeg3050036822958_ORIG.jpeg4050036986501_ORIG.jpeg8050036796557_ORIG.jpeg10050036898761_ORIG.jpeg

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post

Edit: I thought he was also talking about dash board but I was wrong. Don't hold your breath waiting for a DMCH binnacle. Most of us don't believe they are ever going to happen.
    Why do you think I threw that last bit in there? It was totally to bait you, Steve.

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

so either upholster it or wait for a replacement that may never happen?.what is the one going to be at DCS with original appearance?.is there any quick cover up ideas other then a dash mat i can use until i get a proper replacement?.

Banned

so either upholster it or wait for a replacement that may never happen?.what is the one going to be at DCS with original appearance?
    There will probably be one or two at DCS just for display purposes. DMCH seems to enjoy teasing people with them. DMCH showed the new binnacles last year at an open house event and claimed the were coming soon. A young whipper snapper at DMCH guaranteed they would be for sale at DCS which is only weeks away. I would just get yours recovered or try to refurbish it yourself with some bondo and fiberglass.

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Don't hold your breath waiting for a DMCH binnacle. Most of us don't believe they are ever going to happen.
    A massive overstatement if there ever was one.

My VIN:    4534

Quote Originally Posted by Nick774 View Post
    Im told they also sell this in a grey that matches perfectly as well.
    Yep, there is, Alpine Gray Vinyl.

Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    A massive overstatement if there ever was one.
    Based on this poll people aren't expecting to see binnacles any time soon from DMCH.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?35...=dmch+binnacle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast