FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: VIN 559 - Captain's Log

After a well-hidden history, VIN 559 is now quite public! I never liked it when a rare car is bought and kept in seclusion. If you're going to have a piece of history, let everyone else enjoy it too! There's so little known about VIN 559 by the DeLorean community that I decided I was going to document all my work on it in this Captain's Log (I may have watched Star Trek: Enterprise in my earlier days, hence the title).

From highest to lowest priority, here are the areas I have to work on:

Broken window regulator

Unattached seat reclining mechanism

Bent radiator windscreen

Missing tire valve caps

Broken horn (may be low battery)

Malfunctioning taillights

Dirty battery compartment

Droopy Doors

Missing glovebox lock

Missing battery access cover screws

Damaged tape/label under hood latch

Broken weatherstripping

Gas Cap doesn't lock

Unattached and missing bonnet carpeting

Sagging headliner

Interior heat damage

Broken louvers (strut bracket)

Splitting shifter knob

Driver's door handle vinyl wear

Red paint in engine compartment

So there's 20 areas of VIN 559 that need attention before I'll consider it immaculate. Right now, I fixed the window to the extent that I am able to (I'll let DPI Josh do the rest), the seat reclining mechanism is reattached, the horn may work (haven't tried, but I think it's just a dead battery), and the red paint I'm not going to fix.

Long term plans, I plan on getting PJ Grady taillight boards, since some lights don't work yet every single bulb is intact (I've heard rumors they may no longer stock that part though...). I also intend on removing the bonnet carpeting entirely to make room for a car info sheet that fits nicely in the recess. What better place for it than right there? I also have an unfinished RepRap, which I will be using to print a couple brackets for the broken louvers prior to its first public appearance. I may also print out some plastic cupholders for the center tray behind the ashtray.

Now for some rarities!

I first heard about my hood being unique from the previous owner's friend (who was storing it at the time). Rich W. later clarified this: take a look at the bottom half of the "X". See those four large holes with the plugs in them? Those plugs are the same ones used in the brake fluid access cover by the gas cap. Rich recalls the original owner saying the holes exist to test hood light wiring. By the way, please excuse the poor carpet job in that picture, it's on my todo list!

There's also no VIN plate on the driver's door. Rich W. clarified this one, saying many 500 series DeLoreans (sounds official ), being pre-production and not intended for sale, didn't have VIN plates there. But hey, it's symmetric!

The shifter knob isn't unique to VIN 559, but's still a very early design. I have a picture in my documentation of a parted out early VIN (no clue which one) with the shifter knob visible and identical to mine. It's not the angled kind like on all later D's with the emblem on top; instead it's a curved unit without any emblem whatsoever. Mine has wear and tear that I need to address though (see previous post).

This one's directly due to the low miles: the front fascia has very little warping. For those that don't know, the front fascia warps above the headlights due to the heat. It's 4-6 inches deep and perfectly level, so the heat can't escape. The more you use your headlights, the more it warps. I've considered getting a pair of "angel eye" headlights with an LED ring so I can avoid as much heat as possible from the headlights, but I'm still debating this one. Ohio now has a law that requires headlights to be on whenever you use the wipers, which is why I'd go that route. (It's a car, not a salt block, rain's not big deal really.)

This is by far the most interesting part of VIN 559 (to me, at least). The driver's side rear window is like every other DeLorean, flush with the stainless, making it aerodynamic. However, move to the passenger side, and the window is quite recessed! It's recessed about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch. The previous owner told me this was done for testing to see what effect (if any) the turbulence caused by the recess would have on the air intake. No one's come forward with documentation or knowledge about this yet though. As this is a two-owner DeLorean, and I'm the second owner, I see no reason to fake this kind of thing. The recess isn't evenly distributed in depth anyways, so it must've had some purpose. Until documentation or knowledge surfaces, this is all [quite educated] speculation.

And last, but not least, this was the very same car that appeared on Pawn Stars. The previous owner, Rick, was the one that appeared in the episode, and he said much of the same stuff as he did in that episode, also describing the experience when I met him in person. Two major gripes about those guys: the incessant BTTF/cocaine references, and fishtailing in the original tires! (Still on the car right now!) I don't care who you are, you just don't screw around with original equipment, especially if it's not your car and you're not even going to make a serious offer on it. It's no wonder I don't watch that show. And yes, I'm keeping those original tires as a memento, but still putting new tires on it for safety reasons.

I mean honestly, they started off at $8,000, and even Rick laughed when he heard that. Then they had the balls to say it was worth only teens in immaculate condition. Dumbasses even stood in the front waiting for him to pop the hood when they asked to see the engine! And yet they claim to know anything about the DeLorean. Then when they finally saw the engine, they called it a mid-engine design.

My VIN:    SCEDT26T5BD06996

Club(s):   (DMA)

None of your pictures work...
    "He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man"
    - William Shakespeare

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by EMDF View Post
    I mean honestly, they started off at $8,000, and even Rick laughed when he heard that.
    Rick got free advertising to help sell his car. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

Oh, btw. Welcome to the cult.

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

congratulations on your new D! i really like the uniqueness of the early-VIN DeLoreans.

...This one's directly due to the low miles: the front fascia has very little warping. For those that don't know, the front fascia warps above the headlights due to the heat. It's 4-6 inches deep and perfectly level, so the heat can't escape. The more you use your headlights, the more it warps.
    the source of the 'eyebrows' has been debated in the past... some have presented evidence that it may be due to insufficient support in the fascia and not due to heat... but its been 15 years since ive laid eyes on a DeLorean, so i couldnt really tell you for sure either way.

...Then when they finally saw the engine, they called it a mid-engine design.
    yeah, i was yelling at the TV when they were making all those stupid comments... im glad the vehicle went to someone who knows & appreciates it!
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

Quote Originally Posted by congerz83 View Post
    None of your pictures work...
    That's because I'm an idiot and didn't figure out how Dropbox works. Apparently everything needs to be in the "Public" folder to actually be public. And now that I've fixed that, I can't seem to edit my posts. Some days...

Anyways, just thought I'd post a teaser as to what's coming next:

This is something I've been working on since 5/26 and finally finished today! Technically yesterday, since it's now after midnight. Just need to compile all the documentation to make another post about it. Honestly, documentation was the longest part of this whole thing, it's just easy as hell really. And to not give too much away, that's all I'm saying.

By the way, I've never really mentioned this anywhere yet, but my almost-brother-in-law is also a huge fan of DeLoreans. In fact, it's his and my sister's wedding that VIN 559 may make its first public showing. It's quite funny actually, when I was still just looking for a DeLorean, he had the mindset that I'd have one, and it'd be in the family, so there wouldn't be a need for him to get one. When he saw it in my driveway, he suddenly had a change of heart... now he wants one too! We may have two DeLoreans in the family if he realizes his dream. It's sure nice to be able to talk DeLorean with someone who I've known since before I even came close to being able to afford one.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Thanks for the update, even without the photos.

Oddly, your links just seem to link back to this same thread. maybe I am missing something.

The shifter knob isn't unique to VIN 559, but's still a very early design. I have a picture in my documentation of a parted out early VIN (no clue which one) with the shifter knob visible and identical to mine. It's not the angled kind like on all later D's with the emblem on top; instead it's a curved unit without any emblem whatsoever. Mine has wear and tear that I need to address though (see previous post).

Actually, this isn't as rare as you might think. Mine has it also (2743), but I don't know when they changed to the logo version. I know that DMCH only have the logo version in stock, so it's certainly unobtainable NOS.

This one's directly due to the low miles: the front fascia has very little warping. For those that don't know, the front fascia warps above the headlights due to the heat. It's 4-6 inches deep and perfectly level, so the heat can't escape. The more you use your headlights, the more it warps. I've considered getting a pair of "angel eye" headlights with an LED ring so I can avoid as much heat as possible from the headlights, but I'm still debating this one. Ohio now has a law that requires headlights to be on whenever you use the wipers, which is why I'd go that route. (It's a car, not a salt block, rain's not big deal really.)
    As dvonk pointed out, this is not necessarily correct. The main area of warpage is over the (rarely used) "brights", rather than the much more used Headlights, (or dipped beams). Cars that live outside tend to have a much better chance of eyebrows that cars stored inside. When the fascia expands in the heat it seems to deflect at the weakest point which seems to be above the "brights". Use of the lights would certainly add to the heat.

There is a common fix of installing a short aluminium bar inside the fascia at this spot to provide some rigidity. My car has wicked eyebrows, yet no functional "brights". Need to fix both items.

If this is the red paint you mentioned, I am not sure that you are aware that they signify that certain recalls were done to the car by dealerships (though I don't remember which ones). Probably completely irrelevant 30 years later, but just thought I'd mention it in case you thought they were just random paint-ball attacks

Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

EMDF,

When working on a 500 series DeLorean, it is important not to "over restore" the car, with many "later car" parts.
    The easiest thing to remember is to NOT throw away any old, original parts (to help preserve the car's heritage).

I told this to Dick Sr. as well (back when the car had not run for years, prior to it's recent "restoration" work done).
    Hopefully, some of the early parts (removed during that work) came with the car, otherwise they are most likely in
    a landfill near Las Vegas now. For example, early fuel pumps had different fittings, and if the fuel system has been
    gone over and the fuel pump replaced, it is very possible it has had the fittings updated to the later style fittings.

Other items, such as the early battery cover, did not have the later style fasteners, so this would be an example
    of something you would not want to "over restore" with the later style parts, used on most 81's and all 82's, 83's.

Later,
    Rich W.

Very cool car EMDF!

I'm a big fan of 500 series cars.

Definately keep in mind what Rich W. is talking about with over restoration on such an early car, it be a shame to loose to much of it's uniqueness of an early example like that by mixing newer parts then what should be the car.

Also just want to concur the paint in the engine compartment if its blotches of red or blue on the fire wall it was done so by a dealership or QAC when a particular recall was performed.
    "your delusions are yours and not mine!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    EMDF,

When working on a 500 series DeLorean, it is important not to "over restore" the car, with many "later car" parts.
    The easiest thing to remember is to NOT throw away any old, original parts (to help preserve the car's heritage).

I told this to Dick Sr. as well (back when the car had not run for years, prior to it's recent "restoration" work done).
    Hopefully, some of the early parts (removed during that work) came with the car, otherwise they are most likely in
    a landfill near Las Vegas now. For example, early fuel pumps had different fittings, and if the fuel system has been
    gone over and the fuel pump replaced, it is very possible it has had the fittings updated to the later style fittings.

Other items, such as the early battery cover, did not have the later style fasteners, so this would be an example
    of something you would not want to "over restore" with the later style parts, used on most 81's and all 82's, 83's.

Later,
    Rich W.
    Unfortunately, no old parts were kept as far as I know. And I say "as far as I know" because Rick (Jr.) has said that there may be other things Dick (Sr.) had went with VIN 559 prior to him passing away, but he gave me all he had.

As far as the fuel pump, that unfortunately may not be stock pretty soon. It's still not titled in my name officially, since the bastards at the Ohio DMV require an "out of state" inspection on any car titled in another state... which requires the car to be able to drive to the location, regardless of age. DPI Josh will try to squeeze me in to fix it just enough to get it running so I can get it titled, then after DCS 2012 I'll take it back for the remainder of the work that needs to be done (he's booked solid until then). Part of that work is on the fuel system itself, which may or may not include the pump and fittings. But quite frankly, while originality is a goal for me, it is not a strict requirement, and certainly the ability to drive takes precedence over originality any day. If I can't drive it, what's the point in owning it, you know? It doesn't matter what DeLorean I ultimately went with, whatever I bought is going to stay with me until I'm put in a nursing home, at which point it will be passed on to kids, nephews, or nieces, in order of preference (although I have none yet).

The battery cover and fittings on the other hand are perfectly intact. The only problem I have with that part is that the studs are there in the wood, but the fasteners themselves are not. What does that part even look like, might I ask?

Thanks for the info on the red paint guys! I definitely won't be removing it then... it's part of the history!

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast