FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: VIN 559 - Captain's Log

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Normally I would never attempt to start a car with a questionable fuel system. Since it had already been tried prior the damage was done at this point.
    I got it to run last time for about five minutes straight, but considering how rough it ran, there's no question some damage had been done. It needed the work anyways, and had problems from the day it went on the truck from Las Vegas. Less than five thousand miles and zero sta-bil will do that. At least it gave me an excuse to have it worked on right off the bat

I am wondering about that "reverse tachometer" thing. It was quite odd seeing that, but I'm hoping it's just a low battery, I had similar problems with the tach going up to redline and above when the battery died last time. Fingers crossed.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by EMDF View Post
    I got it to run last time for about five minutes straight, but considering how rough it ran, there's no question some damage had been done. It needed the work anyways, and had problems from the day it went on the truck from Las Vegas. Less than five thousand miles and zero sta-bil will do that. At least it gave me an excuse to have it worked on right off the bat

I am wondering about that "reverse tachometer" thing. It was quite odd seeing that, but I'm hoping it's just a low battery, I had similar problems with the tach going up to redline and above when the battery died last time. Fingers crossed.
    Weird tach problems like that are frequently problems with bad grounds. Josh will straighten that out no problem I'm sure Cool guy to be sure, and that shop looks great.

Josh, if you're reading this - you should put together a photo tour of your shop and post it up here! I bet we'd all love that, I know I enjoyed Tony's tour of DMCFL. You know, in all your spare time...
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Weird tach problems like that are frequently problems with bad grounds. Josh will straighten that out no problem I'm sure Cool guy to be sure, and that shop looks great.

Josh, if you're reading this - you should put together a photo tour of your shop and post it up here! I bet we'd all love that, I know I enjoyed Tony's tour of DMCFL. You know, in all your spare time...
    We are about to be featured on a multiple TV shows (which is all I can legally say at this time). The shop was in tip top shape with 30+ cars here for the second shoot.

Plus we are finally almost completed with the next set of Gear Head episodes. We started over and filmed the current season from Feb-June15th so the content is current and aligns with the current people involved in the company
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

We are about to be featured on a multiple TV shows (which is all I can legally say at this time). The shop was in tip top shape with 30+ cars here for the second shoot.

Plus we are finally almost completed with the next set of Gear Head episodes. We started over and filmed the current season from Feb-June15th so the content is current and aligns with the current people involved in the company
    Oh, cool. This sounds like a series of projects that will deserve their own thread when you're allowed to talk about them!
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Oh, cool. This sounds like a series of projects that will deserve their own thread when you're allowed to talk about them!
    Indeed, can't wait to find out about this!

Wow, sweet! If I may ask, are you allowed to mention what VINs are making special appearances? Feel completely free to include 559 as part of that process, she's no stranger to TV cameras, and I'm sure she'll do just fine

Are you allowed to say what type of show it is (e.g auto-restoration show, entrepreneur show, interesting businesses show, documentary)? I'll keep my eyes open!

Well, I have two bits of good news, and two bits of bad news. First the two bits of bad news: the engine needs a major overhaul. When the Volvo dealer worked on both the heads, they didn't put them on properly, which caused the lower cylinder seals to fail. When DPI Josh went to drain the oil, normally it has 7 qts, but instead he filled a 12 qt container and still had about 6 qts left over. Half of this was oil, and the other half was coolant. He said he was shocked it's even run at all in the past few years, and that helps explain why when I got it to run for five minutes in my driveway I needed to give it constant gas.

The second bit of bad news: I now have my first 5-figure repair bill. I bought it for $18,500, but now have about $22,000 in repair bills. Which seems horrible until the first bit of good news: dollar for dollar, that repair bill goes directly to the value! Josh said after it's all fixed up, it'll be worth $40,000 to $45,000, which is $21,500 to $26,500 more than what I bought it for. Hot damn, I've never had an investment go that well (401K aside, of course). Even though I had to loan money from my parents to pay for it in the first place, they said they'll give me another loan until I can pay them back, which is the second bit of good news. By the time it's done, I'll already have five more paychecks, so that'll help offset the cost on both ends.

He also said it won't be back on the road until about two and a half months from now, which, if my math is correct, will be roughly September 16th. At Cruisin' Solon, the very next night after this is Cruiser of the Year Award night, which is where all the winners of the previous nights get placed beside each other and the winner is drawn from there. Sort of a "members only" thing, except with winners from previous nights. This means I won't be premiering it there after all, and honestly, I have no idea where to premiere it, or even how long after I get it back I'll be showing it off. By mid-September, all the good car shows are wrapping up and/or done, so it might not be until a year from now that I show it off. Unless of course, there's a DeLorean get-together somewhere around here.

But the high note of my night was my first-ever ride in a DeLorean! Yes I coasted mine down the street, and drove it around in my driveway, but I've never been in a running DeLorean on the road before! I've seen five or six of them before today, but only been inside two: mine, and Josh's. He drove me around the block. What an experience! I was enthralled by the whole thing, taking everything in and learning while he's pointing things out. I'm glad I did too: He demonstrated braking distance, which has me really thinking of getting a brake upgrade while it's in there, with (at the very least) cross-drilled rotors to make stopping that much better. I've never been in a car that needed that much distance to stop, and let's just say much of my route requires good braking power. I've been in my fair share of close calls from guys stopping suddenly or pulling out in front of me as recently as Friday, and if the brakes are inadequate, that won't end well.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by EMDF View Post
    Well, I have two bits of good news, and two bits of bad news. First the two bits of bad news: the engine needs a major overhaul. When the Volvo dealer worked on both the heads, they didn't put them on properly, which caused the lower cylinder seals to fail. When DPI Josh went to drain the oil, normally it has 7 qts, but instead he filled a 12 qt container and still had about 6 qts left over. Half of this was oil, and the other half was coolant. He said he was shocked it's even run at all in the past few years, and that helps explain why when I got it to run for five minutes in my driveway I needed to give it constant gas.

The second bit of bad news: I now have my first 5-figure repair bill. I bought it for $18,500, but now have about $22,000 in repair bills. Which seems horrible until the first bit of good news: dollar for dollar, that repair bill goes directly to the value! Josh said after it's all fixed up, it'll be worth $40,000 to $45,000, which is $21,500 to $26,500 more than what I bought it for. Hot damn, I've never had an investment go that well (401K aside, of course). Even though I had to loan money from my parents to pay for it in the first place, they said they'll give me another loan until I can pay them back, which is the second bit of good news. By the time it's done, I'll already have five more paychecks, so that'll help offset the cost on both ends.

He also said it won't be back on the road until about two and a half months from now, which, if my math is correct, will be roughly September 16th. At Cruisin' Solon, the very next night after this is Cruiser of the Year Award night, which is where all the winners of the previous nights get placed beside each other and the winner is drawn from there. Sort of a "members only" thing, except with winners from previous nights. This means I won't be premiering it there after all, and honestly, I have no idea where to premiere it, or even how long after I get it back I'll be showing it off. By mid-September, all the good car shows are wrapping up and/or done, so it might not be until a year from now that I show it off. Unless of course, there's a DeLorean get-together somewhere around here.

But the high note of my night was my first-ever ride in a DeLorean! Yes I coasted mine down the street, and drove it around in my driveway, but I've never been in a running DeLorean on the road before! I've seen five or six of them before today, but only been inside two: mine, and Josh's. He drove me around the block. What an experience! I was enthralled by the whole thing, taking everything in and learning while he's pointing things out. I'm glad I did too: He demonstrated braking distance, which has me really thinking of getting a brake upgrade while it's in there, with (at the very least) cross-drilled rotors to make stopping that much better. I've never been in a car that needed that much distance to stop, and let's just say much of my route requires good braking power. I've been in my fair share of close calls from guys stopping suddenly or pulling out in front of me as recently as Friday, and if the brakes are inadequate, that won't end well.
    When completed this will be one of the nicest low mile/ early vin cars out there. I have seen a number of top end frames but this one blew me away. Minus the lack of general maintaince the car is excellent. I'm very glad that we are taking the course of "original" and preserving the car as much as possible. I'm glad this car found an owner who wants to preserve it. When finished this car will be one of the best early vin cars I have ever seen and will be worth what has been put into it. Those who ask me the "is it worth it" from an investment standpoint rarely get the yes response from me in terms to money spent vs. value.

Braking is a bit different then our Honda's isn't it. I will have Carla bring over her auto Delorean from the house to drive on your next visit. It is basically a finished version of what you will have + an exhaust.
    Last edited by Delorean Industries; 07-01-2012 at 11:33 PM.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

The plot thickens! I've been talking with DMCH James about my rear window (the recessed one said to be wind tunnel testing), and he says there's no documentation about that window. He also says he is "fairly certain" it was not like that when it was there. The problem is, if my service records are indeed 100% complete, 559 was never at any DMC facility. Yet it's clearly visible from its appearance on Pawn Stars.

What the hell is the story behind this thing?

It's definitely intentional, but the question is who's intention was it? Assuming it's not factory, my running theory now is that the rear window separated from the stainless, whereupon it was given a DIY fix of residential window putty. Alternatively, the window broke, a replacement was ordered, and it was installed DIY. In any case, he told me 559 was an employee car, but he wasn't sure who it was given to. I told him I have records from Chestnut Fleet Rentals giving the title to the original owner (listing the full VIN even!), who worked for them at the time. I'm thinking this might be why it's called an "employee" car, just a CFR employee instead of a DMC one. Of course, if this isn't the employee referenced, then that would explain the 700+ miles on the odometer prior to the original owner's purchase. The problem then would become finding this employee when there seems to be no record of who it was, or if it was even a specific employee (as opposed to a generic company car).

Regardless, I was planning on going to DPI tomorrow to check up in 559. Problem is, things are so haphazard now, I may not be able to get up there. I'm having DeLorean Withdrawl, it's been too long since I've seen her last. If I could just place my hand on her again... *sigh* I can't wait to get her back in my garage

I saw VIN 559 today!

Okay, technically it was yesterday since it's after midnight, but damn did I need to see her again. The odd thing is that I had a completely different party this time. Last/first time it was my parents that went with me. This time it was my family from Florida and Texas, both up here for the wedding. Couldn't fit six in the car, or my dad would've went too.

It was a very last-minute thing, actually. I saw the DPI truck headed north on I-271 at around noon today, and I knew I just had to see 559 again. When I got home, I called them up, and Josh told me he would be handing a bunch of original parts off to me. Sweet! I ate lunch and drove right up there, taking the headliner and stainless steel coolant bottle I had acquired back when I thought I would be fixing both.

I walked in, and there she was!

That alone made the whole trip very much worth it No wheels, no engine, reminded me of that scene from Back To The Future Part II where they hover and land in that alley in the rain. Well, almost, the engine was resting to its left.

Thankfully, it looks like it should be able to retain the original engine! Yes, the green stuff is coolant. At least there was some unmixed coolant in the system. While I was at it, I got a picture of the engine number.

So VIN 559 has engine number 477 and frame number 98! I snapped a picture of the frame number while I was at it, since I missed it last time. I forgot to take a picture of the VIN plate and look for Cave Paintings in the inner fenders like I had planned on since I forgot the ToDo list, but I remembered the parts and to document the engine and frame numbers! Frame number pictured:

Then Josh informed me all those parts I had walked past were mine, freshly plated and ready to go! I dropped off my headliner and coolant bottle with the rest of it.

One of the front wheels had imperfections in it so it was sent back to be redone, hence there being only three wheels. And when I turned around, even more parts that needed to be plated!

Among some parts are the springs, exhaust heat shield, engine valve covers, pulleys, brackets, and the like. Looks like they were sandblasted, but I'm not quite sure. Seemed done to the untrained eye, but the springs gave it away that it's just bare metal and not already coated with anything. Then came the fun part: loading parts in the trunk of our Explorer! There was a crate of parts that was filled just below halfway.

Closer look:

Among some of the parts there:
    - distributor cap
    - yellow coolant bottle
    - door weatherstripping seals
    - a crapload of rubber pipes
    - engine mounts (stained my shirt, but it's the first DeLorean stain I've gotten on the first DeLorean shirt I've gotten, so I hope it stays!)
    - Intake manifolds. Or exhaust manifolds. Honestly I'm not familiar with the visible difference between the two, but I'm thinking intake.
    - some plastic part that held the condenser or radiator or bumper or something like that. It cracked, so it had to be replaced.
    - radiator (not sure if it's broken or just worn, but I have it now).
    - and the part I identify most with, the silver intake hose! When I bought 559 and popped the louvers for the first time (heh, I rhymed ), this part stuck out the most to me as the most interesting part, and I was fascinated by it. I know it's just a hose, but something about the looks or function or something like that makes this the first DeLorean part to go on my car wall!

When I got there, I just had to lay a hand on the stainless. The opportunity didn't present itself without awkwardness until my aunt (who previously knew nothing about DeLoreans, but is now fascinated!) asked if it was painted, to which I replied "nope, bare stainless" and patted my hand on the LFF (left-front fender). It had been in the sunlight, so the LFF was warm to the touch. I think I even heard her smile And no one suspected a thing

Progress is sweet! (Even though technically it's not my progress...)

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast