FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Twin Turbocharger Setup WILL BE for sale! Story inside with PICS!!!

My VIN:    10588

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Twin Turbocharger Setup WILL BE for sale! Story inside with PICS!!!

Hello to my new friends at DMCTalk!!!!!

I will be purchasing Vin #005587 coming next week and as I live in California, I will not be able to smog the car with the catless twin turbocharger setup in-place and running. That's right. IN PLACE AND RUNNING. The car has 33,000 miles on it and has been in storage since 96 with occasional starts. I have no idea how many miles the turbochargers have on them, less then 33,000 miles. it was owned by a wealthy hospital chain owner who loved eclectic cars. Dont worry! I didnt run the old fuel through it, I pulled the fuel pump, put a fresh hose in some fresh fuel, pumped all the old stuff out, manually wired the fuel pump and fired the car up. Ran beautifully. no crazy sounds and as you know, the exhaust system from engine to turbo to muffler to outlet is so short, and no smoke, no oil, no anything odd or bad blowing out the back of the car.

I will be removing all components (I'm an experienced mechanic) and packaging them for sale for a complete turn key turbo charger setup!!! I took some pics when I went to make some arrangements yesterday, hopefully someone can tell me a little about what kit this is and approx what its worth!!

Direct Links (larger photos):

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d.../WP_003245.jpg

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d.../WP_003246.jpg

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d.../WP_003244.jpg

I've heard of one or two turbocharger setups, no idea which this has... but there is one picture with the turbo and I tried to get the label on the housing in the shot. I'd love to know more about the setup!! I'd also do a partial trade with someone who has the right and left stock manifolds and the intake 'W' that i would need to put the car back to stock.

Thank you for the warm welcome! And I look forward to many years of posts!!!
    Have a great day everyone!
    Luigi

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

That is the "Island Twin Turbo" kit. Developed back when the car was new. They had a later version with converters.

Keep in mind that if the kit was installed per the original instructions that came with it, the ignition distributor was modified slightly for less mechanical advance. This may have some impact on your emission testing after you de-turbo the car, and whoever buys the turbo may need to modify theirs per the original instructions.
    Last edited by DMCMW Dave; 06-04-2012 at 07:10 PM.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Just curious, why sell the turbo? Just want a stock car?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10588

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    That is the "Island Twin Turbo" kit. Developed back when the car was new. They had a later version with converters.

Keep in mind that if the kit was installed per the original instructions that came with it, the ignition distributor was modified slightly for less mechanical advance. This may have some impact on your emission testing after you de-turbo the car, and whoever buys the turbo may need to modify theirs per the original instructions.
    Thats fantastic information. Thank you! Any idea what these go for as a turn key system?

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Just curious, why sell the turbo? Just want a stock car?
    I figured as soon as I saw the cats missing, I wouldn't be able to smog the car, hence putting it back to stock. Are the cats able to be sourced to make the kit smoggable? I already have a spirited driver (subaru), this will be a cruiser, so I don't need the extra oomph. ...but if I were able to source cats... then I might need to rethink my strategy, but! I want to take the money from the kit and put it into the interior and other little bits the car needs.

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Very cool buy! My bud has the same turbo kit on his Delorean (and still runs great!) with the catylitic converter. He was one of the last people to buy one, before the company quit making the kits. Keep us posted on your project.

DeLorean Driver

My VIN:    2638

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclearbacon View Post
    Thats fantastic information. Thank you! Any idea what these go for as a turn key system?

I figured as soon as I saw the cats missing, I wouldn't be able to smog the car, hence putting it back to stock. Are the cats able to be sourced to make the kit smoggable? I already have a spirited driver (subaru), this will be a cruiser, so I don't need the extra oomph. ...but if I were able to source cats... then I might need to rethink my strategy, but! I want to take the money from the kit and put it into the interior and other little bits the car needs.
    9 of these kits just sold for what, $600 each? You MIGHT be able to get manifolds and a cat for $200-400 more than this?
    Still rocking the Ducellier

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    9 of these kits just sold for what, $600 each? You MIGHT be able to get manifolds and a cat for $200-400 more than this?
    Those kits were also in unknown condition; the fact that this is a turn-key system is pretty appealing. Still, seems like it cant be too impossible to get some kind of cats in there. I'll bet if nothing else a custom exhaust shop would be able to set you up. I'm sure plenty of exhaust work will have to go into making it stock again so why not just see if it can be made legal as is? Seems a shame to disassemble something that is already working so well. Just my thought. Cool find!

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Those kits were also in unknown condition; the fact that this is a turn-key system is pretty appealing. Still, seems like it cant be too impossible to get some kind of cats in there. I'll bet if nothing else a custom exhaust shop would be able to set you up. I'm sure plenty of exhaust work will have to go into making it stock again so why not just see if it can be made legal as is? Seems a shame to disassemble something that is already working so well. Just my thought. Cool find!
    You are right. There is a big difference between taking of a kit on a car that has been sitting for years and one that runs. Helps to take out a lot of variables.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

welcome to the forum, Luigi!

congrats on finding a D, keep us updated on your progress.
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

alternator

another significant change is that the alternator is moved to the top of the engine. You can of course run it like this without the turbos but the new owner would need the bracket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast