FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Inside the the heads..

My VIN:    000774

Club(s):   (DMA)

Inside the the heads..

Hey guys, so right now I have the heads open and removed the chain cover. All looks relatively decent except for some white powdery nasty stuff im finding in the heads and around the chains. Is this from oxidation or from water damage? Anyone ever have this in their blocks?

10051656299710_ORIG.jpeg9051656299696_ORIG.jpeg8051948771574_ORIG.jpeg8051656299689_ORIG.jpeg7051948771325_ORIG.jpeg7051656299673_ORIG.jpeg

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Yikes! Do you know if there was some kind of flood history involving this car? I take it you are trying to resurrect this engine from 20 years of sitting. That's a lot of corrosion. Your going to need to go deep into this one and verify he integrity of the block. Especially the VOD deep recesses (under the intake manifold). As long as there aren't any swiss cheese holes in the water jacket it can be disassembled bead blasted and cleaned too make it live again.

Btw: please fill in Some info about yourself. So we can better you and know who we are trying to help. I'm going to guess your name is Nick am I correct? It also helps to know the last 5 of the VIN and what City , State or Country do you reside. You never know there may be a very knowledgeable owner in your neck of the woods.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 06-04-2012 at 09:40 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Correct you are sir, Nicks the name and 000774 is the vin number. I reside in Howell, NJ and am ten minutes south of Marc Levy from the DMA club here. I intend to do a full engine revival. The car sat for the past eleven years so the work has been eventful! I still have to finish setting up the rest of my profile here but I get sidetracked so easily as soon as I log on, Ive grown quite fond of the site here.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Ten minutes south of MARK LEVY! You have our sympathy But seriously, Mark is a good guy and strong supporter of the Delorean marque and club activist. One of a handful of behind the scene event coordinators at DCS events. Will you making trek to DCS? D'less of course.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It would appear to be from condensation and corrosion. Depending on how deep you want to go you can do anything from a full disassembly to cleaning up what you can and then changing the oil a couple of times and an engine flush once you get it running. More important would be a borescope inspection of the cylinders and a compression test. If they look good I would just try running it and cleaning it up with a couple of flushes.
    David Teitelbaum

[QUOTE=Nick774;58975]Hey guys, so right now I have the heads open and removed the chain cover. All looks relatively decent except for some white powdery nasty stuff im finding in the heads and around the chains. Is this from oxidation or from water damage? Anyone ever have this in their blocks?

Oooh sorry to see that, doesn't look that great. I would bite the bullet and rebuild it, chances of it lasting otherwise; however hard you try to clean up is probably going to result in a short lived engine. Aluminium oxide is abrasive carried in oil so better to be thorough, pity to see that... but opportunity to change to the OE ally rockers, and do some other performance upgrades too, I'm sure lots of US forum members can advise.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

I would suggest pulling the engine completely apart. Too much debris and corrosion. Running this will result in a restricted oiling system most likely at the pick up.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

+1

You might have a good engine that just need cleaning, if you fail to completely disassembly and inspect your engine, you may end up spending a lot more than needed.

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    I would suggest pulling the engine completely apart. Too much debris and corrosion. Running this will result in a restricted oiling system most likely at the pick up.
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

10052000397135_ORIG.jpeg

So this guy's been living in my block for 12 years...slimer2.jpg

Bet you will also find wasps, bees and even rodents!
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast