FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Inside the the heads..

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick774 View Post
    So this guy's been living in my block for 12 years...
    haha, gross.
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Truthfully I expected worse Nick. Best to take the advice from the guys here and completely tear it down. You might also want to think about looking around for a decent used motor or consider doing a 3.0 upgrade. I know you'd like to keep it original but you know what your in for with this motor and if the valley in the block is badly corroded its probably not worth mesing with.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    000774

Club(s):   (DMA)

Thanks everyone, As of now the motor is stripped completely to the block. My plan is to have it sandblasted and powder coated as long as there is no damage to the valley and such. However I may have an alternative if my block is no good. my brothers 06' chevy cobalts tranny is shot leaving a perfectly good motor up for grabs. I havent looked into the specs of it yet but if it is adaptable this could possibly be a solution and save me the expense of buying a new motor. I still would prefer to keep my engine or atleast still use another donor delorean motor but this is just an idea im tinkering with. Any thoughts on this one guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick774 View Post
    ...My plan is to have it sandblasted and powder coated...
    this sent up a red flag in my mind. IIRC it was previously mentioned by a knowledgeable member that powder coating can trap heat in the engine... i.e., blocking or reducing the metal's inherent heat-dissipating capacity.

however, i could be wrong. can someone confirm or refute this?
    Last edited by dvonk; 06-08-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    as of 2016/08/04

I don't believe is true. Rust, dirt, oil and grease will trap more heat than a clean painted surface. Black will disipate more heat than bare metal.

LEVY

Quote Originally Posted by dvonk View Post
    this sent up a red flag in my mind. IIRC it was previously mentioned by a knowledgeable member that powder coating can trap heat in the engine... i.e., blocking or reducing the metal's inherent heat-dissipating capacity.

however, i could be wrong. can someone confirm or refute this?
    Last edited by LEVY; 06-08-2012 at 09:33 PM.
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

My VIN:    000774

Club(s):   (DMA)

Ok so after looking into the specs on the cobalt engine I am not impressed with it. 130hp, 4cyl. engine? id rather take my chances with my block being rebuilt.

The ecotec can be built up to make HP, but torque might be limited by it's displacement. There was a turbo version that came in the Solstice GXP and Saturn Sky Turbo, 270hp and 270tq if memory serves. But again I'm not sure how much of that torque is usable in real life situations instead of full throttle dyno numbers.
    2004 Acura RSX Type S - Daily Driver
    1964 Chevrolet Impala SS - No, not a lowrider

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The motor is water cooled. This means you do not dissipate much, if any heat directly from the metal of the motor to the surrounding air. The heat is transferred to the anti-freeze in the cooling system which gets circulated to the radiator (heat exchanger) which then transfers it to the air. Roughly 1/3 of the heat energy of the fuel is handled this way. Another 1/3 goes out the tailpipe and 1/3 is converted into mechanical energy and propels the car. Painting the motor will have no effect on it's temperature. You do need a certain kind of paint. It must adhere to a casting which can never really get cleaned perfectly and the paint must be able to take a large temperature range without losing adhesion or cracking.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    I don't believe is true. Rust, dirt, oil and grease will trap more heat than a clean painted surface. Black will disipate more heat than bare metal.

LEVY

fair enough, i like to be proven wrong (especially with a logical explanation) because it means i learned something new.

now if i could just figure out what exactly i was trying to remember... unfortunately, i believe it was in a thread from the old forum, so i may never know for sure.
    as of 2016/08/04

If you can feel your engine is hot, then your engine is dissipating heat directly to the atmosphere. When sizing a radiator for a specific application, engineers take in consideration all the heat dissipated through the engine, cooling system lines, exhaust pipes, transmission etc.

LEVY

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The motor is water cooled. This means you do not dissipate much, if any heat directly from the metal of the motor to the surrounding air. The heat is transferred to the anti-freeze in the cooling system which gets circulated to the radiator (heat exchanger) which then transfers it to the air. Roughly 1/3 of the heat energy of the fuel is handled this way. Another 1/3 goes out the tailpipe and 1/3 is converted into mechanical energy and propels the car. Painting the motor will have no effect on it's temperature. You do need a certain kind of paint. It must adhere to a casting which can never really get cleaned perfectly and the paint must be able to take a large temperature range without losing adhesion or cracking.
    David Teitelbaum
    Last edited by LEVY; 06-09-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2