FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Scan Tools

My VIN:    03572

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/

Innovate has some units to convert analog signals into USB. I think they even had a WIFI unit.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/

Innovate has some units to convert analog signals into USB. I think they even had a WIFI unit.
    Now you are talking about throwing patches on top of band-aids to make the car into something it is not. Even the wiring harness and the ground system is not up to what it would take to make the car digital. It would take a re engineering of the whole car to try to do what modern cars do. I see no point in doing that. Even trying to graft an EFI onto the motor is way more than what is necessary. It is so big an undertaking just to try to do the EFI right, and most never get it right, shows how big a job it can be. Just to get the car to work with an I Phone?
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6313

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It would take a re engineering of the whole car to try to do what modern cars do. I see no point in doing that. Even trying to graft an EFI onto the motor is way more than what is necessary.
    Necessary for what? Reliable running, being able to be repaired by modern available parts, reduced fire risk...

Obviously it doesn't take a "re-engineering" to implement EFI as many people have done it successfully.

The Delorean community have managed to make many, varied and reliable improvements to the car. Personally I am one who believes the car has another 30 years of running ahead of it, and that that 30 years of driving will be enabled by a community willing to tinker and improve the car. I fully anticipate that a Delorean with a CAN network (not limited to EFI) will happen in the next few years.
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

I don't want to be part of the Human race Roman Legion's Avatar

My VIN:    VIN in progress.

Club(s):   (DCVA) (LVDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    This is the one I have:
    http://www.canobd2.com/Products/Tool...5B57B28C545F05

It says $460 but I dont think I paid nearly that much. For the life of me I can't remember how much it was but I dont think it was much more than $300.

I love it. Super easy to use. It has about a dozen different plug-ins for OBDI systems then the standard OBDII plug.

I like it because if there's an issue it doesn't just tell you the code number, it actually tells you whats wrong, and also tells you exactly what was going on in the engine when the code was thrown (Freeze-Frame data).

It also does live data while the engine is running. Actually came in really handy with the LS1 swap because I could verify the accuracy of my gauges. Tells everything from coolant temp, rpm, air temps, map, maf, O2 readings, engine load, and more.

I really just want to use that on my current car, would love to see if anything pops up, but I doubt something would pop up.

My VIN:    16619

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    Necessary for what? Reliable running, being able to be repaired by modern available parts, reduced fire risk...

Obviously it doesn't take a "re-engineering" to implement EFI as many people have done it successfully.

The Delorean community have managed to make many, varied and reliable improvements to the car. Personally I am one who believes the car has another 30 years of running ahead of it, and that that 30 years of driving will be enabled by a community willing to tinker and improve the car. I fully anticipate that a Delorean with a CAN network (not limited to EFI) will happen in the next few years.
    So I work at Nissan, in Body Electronics Testing and I do quite a bit of CAN Bus testing. If you made unique parts, it would take an insane amount of work to have Modern electronics in the DeLorean. However, if you were to essentially take the parts from a new vehicle and put it all on the DeLorean, then it would be a lot easier. The main problem you would then have is just fitting the parts to the vehicle, even stuff like power tilt, power seats. You would also need to essentially carry over every part(Engine, Transmission, etc).

I personally would love to have Modern stuff in my DeLorean and still ponder for hours the idea of installing new electronics. Though I also put some thought into making my own Integrated Power Distribution Module to start with, along with new harness. But then again, Harness design itself is a gigantic engineering task, they may seem simple but there is a ton of work and thought that goes into those.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3