FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Coolant starts leaking 15-20 minutes after car is off?

My VIN:    6272

Coolant starts leaking 15-20 minutes after car is off?

I'm noticing that after I drive my Delorean around for a bit, and then park it, roughly 15-20 minutes afterwards I can look under the car and see a small puddle of coolant on the ground. It seems to be dripping off of the frame, right beneath the passenger-side trailing arm bolt. I saw a similar post on here talking about a leak in the same area, but I'm wondering why it takes a while for the coolant to start leaking after I turn the car off?

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

1. how do you know it isn't leaking when you are driving?
    2. the leak could be caused by the slight increase in pressure realized when the cooling fans shut down but the engine is essentially at its hottest temperature since it just shut down.
    3. check those hose clamps at the bottom of the solid pipe coming down from the engine compartment where they connect to the rubber hose at the transition to the solid pipe running under the car.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by eldusto84 View Post
    I'm noticing that after I drive my Delorean around for a bit, and then park it, roughly 15-20 minutes afterwards I can look under the car and see a small puddle of coolant on the ground. It seems to be dripping off of the frame, right beneath the passenger-side trailing arm bolt. I saw a similar post on here talking about a leak in the same area, but I'm wondering why it takes a while for the coolant to start leaking after I turn the car off?
    Cold = no pressure, no leak.
    Hot = high pressure (15psi), but the heat swells the hoses = no leak
    Cooling off = high pressure (lower that 15 but higher than zero), but as the hoses cool the leaks open up.

OR something like that.

In any case, don't over-analyze it, just fix the leak.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    03572

Make sure it's not gas. I had the same problem. It turned out to be a leak only after the car was off and parked in the fuel return pipe fitting.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/