FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: My Delorean revs continuously in park

My Delorean revs continuously in park

Hello everyone I have been an owner of a Delorean for about 10 year now, and ever since I've had the vehicle it revs from low to high rpms when I start it up. The delorean has an automatic transmission so once I put the vehicle in drive or reverse the reving stops, but will continue if i put it back into park. It usually will rev for about 5 minutes in park and then stabalize, and it wont continue to do rev up and down as long as I don't turn the car off. I recently took it to an automotive shop that I feel is trustworthy and they told me that this is normal in volvo engines from that time, something about it trying to find the optimum fuel & air combination. I wanted to know if you all have had experience with this and also if you all know if this is a normal process when starting up the Delorean?

Thanks,
    Mike

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by mikego_34 View Post
    Hello everyone I have been an owner of a Delorean for about 10 year now, and ever since I've had the vehicle it revs from low to high rpms when I start it up. The delorean has an automatic transmission so once I put the vehicle in drive or reverse the reving stops, but will continue if i put it back into park. It usually will rev for about 5 minutes in park and then stabalize, and it wont continue to do rev up and down as long as I don't turn the car off. I recently took it to an automotive shop that I feel is trustworthy and they told me that this is normal in volvo engines from that time, something about it trying to find the optimum fuel & air combination. I wanted to know if you all have had experience with this and also if you all know if this is a normal process when starting up the Delorean?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Sounds like you may have a vacum leak or an ECU issue (which is behind the driver's seat).

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

A failure in the temp sensor for the idle ecu or its wiring can cause this symptom.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?40...otor-or-wiring

See other "High idle" threads...

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by mikego_34 View Post
    ...something about it trying to find the optimum fuel & air combination. I wanted to know if you all have had experience with this and also if you all know if this is a normal process when starting up the Delorean?
    Wow, a shop that doesn't specialize in DeLoreans that actually has a clue.

Short answer, yes, it is normal with DeLoreans. There are so many factors that decide how long your DeLorean does this. For instance, in the summer, my car fires right up and idles perfectly (open lambda system). In Florida winters (30 degrees or so), I fire the DeLorean up, and it will do what you described for about 2-3 minutes and then idle perfectly.

Bottom line: don't fret over it as long as your car runs and drives smoothly once the idle levels out. As stated, there are so many tiny little things that can add up to doing the behavior you described, or it could be one thing like a massive vacuum leak. Don't worry about it - drive your car and enjoy it. You should be ok!

And welcome to the forums!
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You probably have vacuum leaks and I would check all of the connections around the Control Pressure regulator. It should not do that but it is common.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    'Was' 2412

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    Wow, a shop that doesn't specialize in DeLoreans that actually has a clue.

Short answer, yes, it is normal with DeLoreans. There are so many factors that decide how long your DeLorean does this. For instance, in the summer, my car fires right up and idles perfectly (open lambda system). In Florida winters (30 degrees or so), I fire the DeLorean up, and it will do what you described for about 2-3 minutes and then idle perfectly.

Bottom line: don't fret over it as long as your car runs and drives smoothly once the idle levels out. As stated, there are so many tiny little things that can add up to doing the behavior you described, or it could be one thing like a massive vacuum leak. Don't worry about it - drive your car and enjoy it. You should be ok!

And welcome to the forums!
    +1

If the car is driving fine, I wouldn't touch it...