FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Amp pulls power even with key out

My VIN:    03572

The lockzilla draws the same current as the OEM lock unit. And accually the fanzilla draws 2 or 3 mills also.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Well I was trying to focus on the dead battery first, but here is some more info on the hard starting.

1. Actually is worst if the car is hot, then sits a couple of hours. That's when I usually crank it about 8 times, let off the key, then it starts right away second try. Embarrassing.

2. New accumulator lasy year. Verified rest pressure with a kjet tester. It is there and correct.

3. So far all I have done to try to fix it is I slightly richened my mixture. I have a dwell meter and until I did that everything was dialed in perfectly. The car perfectly and idles as it should. No vacuum leaks.

So I have two problems : parasitic draw and hard starting.

Andy
    I had another user get my RPM relay for the same problem I found with my car. That was it would not start hot after sitting for 3 to 4 hours in the hot sun in the summer months. It turns out my car would hold rest pressure for 3 hours but the engine heat and heat of the pavement and sun would be enough to cause the symtoms of the bad accumulator hot start. My relay lets you set it to hold your rest pressure for an addional 3 hours and that fixed the problem on both cars.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    11596

Dave, PM sent!
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Oh, and I don't have Dave's relay. Just a replacement one from either DMCH or Grady a few years back.
    I forgot about the extra Pressure bump feature in Dave's relay. I've never needed to use it, but makes sense that it might fix your symptoms.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 06-11-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    11596

Just a quick update on this issue - I ended up bringing my battery in to NAPA to be positive the battery is OK - it tested bad so I bought a fresh one. I think it discharged too many times and became damaged.

I sent in my old RPM relay to Dave M so now I have the priming feature. I've only driven my car for a day with this relay but right away I've noticed a HUGE difference in how easy the engine starts no matter if it's cold, hot, or warm. Very happy with it so far!

As for the amp, I still haven't determined if the 5mA is out of spec or not, but I don't want to spend $300 on a new amp that might do the same thing. I have decided to install a normally-open relay like this one, second from the bottom:

http://www.wiringproducts.com/conten...ive-relay.html

Dave M advised controlling it off the Aux relay, running off the small white/blue and the small black wire. With this installed the amp will be isolated from the battery unless the key is on so it can't draw down while the car sits in my garage. Some have said to just put in a battery switch - but then I lose all my settings on my Alpine HU, so it would be best in my case to just isolate the equipment that causes problems.

I'm hoping between the fresh battery, priming relay, and amp relay all of my problems will be solved!

Thanks for all the advice! And definitely get Dave's solid state relay!!

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3