FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DAMNED close call

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

DAMNED close call

I was driving home tonight after a day of helping Ian with his continuing electrical issues. Buzzing along nicely at 75 mph, admiring how well the car is running and how peppy it now is. Center lane on 249 in Houston, a major artery......start feeling a "clanking" metallic feeling in the steering wheel for a mile or so. Definitely felt like something banging in the steering column or under the plastic cover. Then, without warning a giant THUD on the passenger side front. I instantly thought I had a blow out but the steering went all squirrely on me and starting drifting left and right. Amazing how that left front fender defensive instinct kicks in! I immediately started wrestling it to the right shoulder (started at 75 mph remember) and was lucky that there was sufficient gap in the traffic that I didn't have a problem. I can hear things grinding at this point and control of the car is marginal at best. Started smelling rubber too. Got stopped on the shoulder, hazards on, popped door and went for a look. Wheel is at an odd angle and not at all healthy looking. Looking under car, I can see the lower control arm is totally disconnected from the wheel and is riding inside the bottom of the wheel. No nut on top. I know with 100% certainty that it had a cotter pin locked castle nut on it last week when I was under there checking my A/C drain.

I called AAA (first time I've needed it for any car in 9 years) and half an hour later a flat bed picked me up and took me home, just a couple of miles away. He backed it into my driveway and the two of us got it in the garage where tomorrow I will get it up on the lift and fully assess the damage. Rolling on/off the flatbed, the wheel is now at a 45* angle and certainly not pointed in the right direction.

I so very, very easily could have put that thing into another car or the barriers on either side of the road. I was extremely lucky. Moral of the story is if something doesn't sound or feel right, STOP and check it right away!!!
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    4534

That sounds terrifying. I'm glad you and the Delorean got out of it safely.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    6679

Scary story mate - most important thing is you came out of it okay.

Keen as mustard to learn what it is that happened to your D
    Chris

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

HOLY SHIT! Very glad you are alive and uninjured, Owen!
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Holy crap. Glad you are OK.

Looking forward to the forensics.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Your one lucky dude! Was the ball joint completely out of the spindle taper? I wonder if you lost the nut or snapped the ball stud? Are the lower ball joints OE or Replacements?
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    6125

Glad to hear you are OK and there was no major damage. I'm really interested to hear what failed...lower ball joint?

My VIN:    3997

Clearly your DeLorean knew you were satisfied with its recent stellar performance and decided to mix things up.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

Duuuuuuude yeah, it'll be interesting to read more about it! I hope it's nothing too serious!

My VIN:    #01748 #20011 #10902

Bad story, but good enought ending...! What was your first thoughts when you lost control ?
    Let's see some photos... of control arm, balljoint...
    Andrea - #01748 3.0lt Twin Turbo EFI, custom brakes, suspensions, manual trans - black interior -
    PRV's lover. Club Italiano Delorean www.dmc12.it

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast