FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Pump replacement

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

He could just replace it with a tuna fish can and not have all the headache of worring about colapsing hoses and any other problems. I have been using a tuna can for about a year without any fuel pickup problems at all. Shoot, I have even driven until the fuel light has come on with no problems.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jmrydholm View Post
    Does anyone know the type of screws used in the covers placed over the fuel pump/filler and clutch cylinder area in the hood?
    M5x.8's. 10-32's are almost identical, but you'll need to run a tap down the rivnuts first (10-32's are just a micron bigger diameter).

Bill Robertson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    He could just replace it with a tuna fish can and not have all the headache of worring about colapsing hoses and any other problems. I have been using a tuna can for about a year without any fuel pickup problems at all. Shoot, I have even driven until the fuel light has come on with no problems.
    Not exactly an apples to apples comparison -- a carbureted DeLorean will run just fine with no baffle in the tank whatsoever (the fuel bowl itself acts as a baffle). In the bad old days gas tanks didn't have baffles -- just pipes stuck into the tank.

Hervey's fuel injection baffle is basically the same size as a tuna fish can, but it doesn't have a solid bottom (a tuna fish can holds fuel better, IMHO).

Bill Robertson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Not exactly an apples to apples comparison -- a carbureted DeLorean will run just fine with no baffle in the tank whatsoever (the fuel bowl itself acts as a baffle). In the bad old days gas tanks didn't have baffles -- just pipes stuck into the tank.

Hervey's fuel injection baffle is basically the same size as a tuna fish can, but it doesn't have a solid bottom (a tuna fish can holds fuel better, IMHO).

Bill Robertson
    He probably wouldn't be able to run the tank as low as I have but I'm sure it would work. Like you said, Hervey sells a similar device but it leaks out much more fuel than a tuna can. If Hervey is willing to sell something it is a pretty good indicator that it works and makes things more reliable.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jmrydholm View Post
    Does anyone know the type of screws used in the covers placed over the fuel pump/filler and clutch cylinder area in the hood? I had a bunch of work done on my D and somehow the screws were misplaced. I also seem to have lost my workshop manual... kicking myself over that. I may have to invest in another. This would be part 106002 according to the diagram.
    http://www.delorean.com/store/p-9589-screw-m5-x-16.aspx
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My suggestion is before starting this job, disconnect the battery. Have lots of ventilation and keep a fan at a distance blowing air over the open fuel tank. Others have given good advice. My in tank system is stock and I am satisfied with the setup but I have always felt that the tuna can/Hervey modification is a clever option.

Rod

Banned

Plus if you replace your baffle with a tuna can you can sell your old baffle. I believe there is at least one vendor who offers to buy old baffles. Some people just prefer them to tuna and that is perfectly fine.

I would have sold my old baffle but I ended up trading it for a replacement engine. I have never regretted that decision.

My VIN:    06683

Club(s):   (TXDMC)

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    just did this one....here's some photos that might help you get an idea
    Thanks John, the pictures help,

And thanks everyone else for the pointer. One question; when removing the fuel return hose (with a flare ended wrench) which nut do I turn while holding the other static (as not to kink the line.) i'm guessing its the lower (larger one) that stays static.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Don't undo the nuts. If you do you will likely find that the fittings are stuck together anyway. There is no need. Slit the old hoses, and install the new hoses on the barbs in place.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I would have sold my old baffle but I ended up trading it for a replacement engine. I have never regretted that decision.
    How on earth did you trade your baffle for an engine!? Did you just get a discounted price or was it a straight trade?
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast