FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: DMC Mirror Switch

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I loved the old ISA 16 bit modems that USR sold back in the day.
    YES. That, and the serial versions. The "Sportster" series of USR modems were the best modems ever manufactured. Nobody uses modems anymore and I STILL hate every winmodem ever made. I still hate plug-and-play because it's so goddamned unreliable. Let me set Address/IRQ/DMA and Baud with jumpers, goddamn it.

But we're a bit off-topic here. Heh.
    - Chris

what

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    YES. That, and the serial versions. The "Sportster" series of USR modems were the best modems ever manufactured. Nobody uses modems anymore and I STILL hate every winmodem ever made. I still hate plug-and-play because it's so goddamned unreliable. Let me set IRQ/DMA and Baud with jumpers, goddamn it.

But we're a bit off-topic here. Heh.
    Yep. That ISA modem had physical jumpers on it you could set to determine what COM port it would work on. You could even arrange the jumpers to make it plug in play.

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Yep. That ISA modem had physical jumpers on it you could set to determine what COM port it would work on. You could even arrange the jumpers to make it plug in play.
    I don't give a shit what anyone says, ISAPnP was never buggy for me and always worked immediately. Anyone who had issues with it wasn't setting their jumpers correctly or didn't have their BIOS configured to detect it. Period.
    - Chris

what

Banned

I just remembered, that modem cost something like $200 back when I was a kid. Lets just say me and a friend managed to acquire two of those things and we were only 15 year old kids. It involved some nerd mischief but we pulled it off.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    As far as I know, they are all new parts. Not used.
    Yes - all new parts, (the outer shell is NOS).

PS - I fully expect Steve to make a binnacle competely out of fiberglass using about $14 worth of resin, cloth, and spray paint. And then complain that we can't sell binnacles for $14.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post

PS - I fully expect Steve to make a binnacle competely out of fiberglass using about $14 worth of resin, cloth, and spray paint. And then complain that we can't sell binnacles for $14.
    Hehe. That would be awesome.

All they sold you was a SAAB mirror switch. They can be found on eBay for about $20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAAB-9-3-9-5...6c2480&vxp=mtr
    That's close, but not it. It's a domestic car manufacture(s) switch.
    I'm looking forward to your reproduction binnacle being available (as a high quality/low price part) to the community.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post

Knowing Steve's penchant for accuracy, it would cost him $14.5416
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Knowing Steve's penchant for accuracy, it would cost him $14.5416
    This is what I am hoping to produce with $14.5416 in materials. I hope to sell the first unit to a beta tester for about $100. Once I know it is a solid piece unit it will sell somewhere between $200 to $250 depending on what DMCH decides to sell their binnacles for. The goal is to keep the price $100 below the Houston price.

fiberglass binnacle.JPG

I suppose if they came out with an exact duplicate of the OE switch for $200, everyone would be happier?
    I for one would be. That switch does not look period correct for a car built in 1981-1982. From the outside this looks like another case of DMCH taking a low-cost approach when it comes to their reproduction/"improved" replacement parts as opposed to the emphasis being on quality and or being the correct part for a DeLorean. Frankly that looks like a round peg stuck in a square hole, and is completely out of place with the rest of the interior and looks hacked in. Fortunately at this time I don't have to but I'd rather live with a broken switch then put that part in my car.
    "your delusions are yours and not mine!"

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast