FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: DMC Mirror Switch

My VIN:    11596

+1. I'll never buy that new switch for this exact reason. I hope someone comes up with an improved original style switch. Dave M.? :-D

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by tjd View Post
    I for one would be. That switch does not look period correct for a car built in 1981-1982. From the outside this looks like another case of DMCH taking a low-cost approach when it comes to their reproduction/"improved" replacement parts as opposed to the emphasis being on quality and or being the correct part for a DeLorean. Frankly that looks like a round peg stuck in a square hole, and is completely out of place with the rest of the interior and looks hacked in. Fortunately at this time I don't have to but I'd rather live with a broken switch then put that part in my car.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

I for one would be. That switch does not look period correct for a car built in 1981-1982. From the outside this looks like another case of DMCH taking a low-cost approach when it comes to their reproduction/"improved" replacement parts as opposed to the emphasis being on quality and or being the correct part for a DeLorean. Frankly that looks like a round peg stuck in a square hole, and is completely out of place with the rest of the interior and looks hacked in. Fortunately at this time I don't have to but I'd rather live with a broken switch then put that part in my car.
    But at the same time, if an exact reproduction costs $300, how many are actually going to sell? I'd go for functionality and price over form when it comes to this part. Seems like a great replacement to me.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

if an exact reproduction costs $300, how many are actually going to sell? I'd go for functionality and price over form when it comes to this part.
    Not having the correct switch may be OK with you and obviously others who don't mind modifying the car from stock in many ways. But this switch does not work for me. And it stands out as not belonging in or being correct for the car. Of course DMCH would have difficulty selling a higher price part to the "majority" when they have already taken the short cut by providing a low cost incorrect part. But if they did not cut the corner in the 1st place and the correct "$300" replacement was your only alternative to a broken switch they would still sell mirror switches regardless of price. Sure some like Steve would still modify a $20 Saab switch and that would be good enough for him, but I would not assume that to be the majority. People will pay whatever it costs for the off the shelf plug and play replacement within reason. The DeLorean hobby is not an inexpensive one.
    "your delusions are yours and not mine!"

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Of course DMCH would have difficulty selling a higher price part to the "majority" when they have already taken the short cut by providing a low cost incorrect part. But if they did not cut the corner in the 1st place and the correct "$300" replacement was your only alternative to a broken switch they would still sell mirror switches regardless of price.
    This is absolutely wrong for a few reasons. First, DMCH is a business, not a charity. Their purpose of existing is to make money. If they came out with a $200 "correct" replacement, they would sell around half a dozen or so and never ever recoup their R&D costs for making the thing. That's an unprofitable venture which translates to a bad business decision. So instead, they make available an inexpensive alternative that will work for more people (certainly the majority) because that's a smart business decision which falls in-line with the requirements of the clientele.

Sure some like Steve would still modify a $20 Saab switch and that would be good enough for him, but I would not assume that to be the majority. People will pay whatever it costs for the off the shelf plug and play replacement within reason.
    Then you have no idea how business markets work. If the choice was between a $300 part versus a $20 part with an hour or two worth of work, the "majority" of the market is going to choose the latter, even if they need to outsource the effort for proper assembly. The key phrase in your statement is "within reason", and a $280 difference in cost (or even $180) is definitely far outside that realm. However, DMCH making a smart business decision means that they've determined that a $50 cost for a functional plug-and-play replacement is absolutely within that realm.

For something as small and out-of-the-way as a mirror adjustment joystick that's around two inches big and appears ONCE in an inconspicuous area of the entire interior, most people just don't give a shit. You might be anal about having every inch of your car meeting concours standards, but most people aren't and would be happy with a functional replacement versus an aesthically-correct as well as functional replacement.

Why do you think the Saab hack is so freaking popular?
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

If the look of the Saab switch was a concern, you could always buy the Saab switch and a blank plate. Plug in the Saab switch, adjust your mirrors where you like them, unplug the Saab switch, and finally install the blank plate. If you are the only driver, you really shouldn't have to move the mirrors much after that. At least I never do, even in my daily driver.

Better yet, remote the mirror switch under the dash to hide it and install a blank plate in the old switch location. Would involve chasing some wires and doing a little re-wiring if you were up to it.

The mirror switch in my DeLoran is half-operative, I seriously considered just pulling the thing out and shorting the wires to get the mirrors in their optimum position, and closing everything up, leaving the broken switch there.

If they came out with a $200 "correct" replacement, they would sell around half a dozen or so and never ever recoup their R&D costs for making the thing.
    That is your opinion, not fact.

Fact is this switch is an incorrect replacement part, a part which I find unacceptable for my car. It is a "low cost" If the $200 estimate for a correct replacement switch quote posted by Dave Swingle is rooted in fact and not just an example.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post

I suppose if they came out with an exact duplicate of the OE switch for $200, everyone would be happier?
    If my original part failed I would only be satisfied with a correct replacement. I would not purchase this switch from DMCH for any amount nor would I install an aesthetically period/DeLorean incorrect replacement in my car, especially somewhere where it can be seen. This part IMO detracts from the original design of the cars interior and is a visible eyesore.

I would not buy a DeLorean if I noticed that switch installed without deducting $$$ to source a correct working part.

This is not a cheap hobby and you never get ahead $$$ wise by taking shortcuts.
    Last edited by tjd; 06-25-2012 at 07:20 PM.
    "your delusions are yours and not mine!"

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

That is your opinion, not fact.
    No, that's pretty much a fact.

Your basis for your posts is what YOU would do on YOUR car and what YOU find to be "an incorrect replacement" for YOUR car. If YOU want to spend an inordinate amount of money to replace a minor part to match your interior detail then you are free to do so and nobody is stopping you. But don't for a minute assume that it your rationale somehow translates to many, or even the majority of DeLorean owners.

If my original part failed I would only be satisfied with a correct replacement.
    Therein lies the difference. Most people would be satisfied with a functional replacement. If it were bright pink and had flashing lights then I can certainly see where there would be some objection, but for most installations the "new" part will work just fine for most people needing a replacement switch. DMCH recognized this need and sourced the appropriate part, then fabricated a drop-in replacement.

Like I said, the reason the Saab switch hack is as popular as it is, is because the majority of owners don't give a shit about a switch that's aesthetically identical to the stock switch. They just want something that works as well as being similar in size to the original so it can fit into where the original switch sat.

That's also why I bought that exact same Saab switch (before I realized that my switch wasn't the problem). I'm a really good example of a "typical" DeLorean owner, if one can be defined.
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Notifier View Post
    If the look of the Saab switch was a concern, you could always buy the Saab switch and a blank plate. Plug in the Saab switch, adjust your mirrors where you like them, unplug the Saab switch, and finally install the blank plate. If you are the only driver, you really shouldn't have to move the mirrors much after that. At least I never do, even in my daily driver.

Better yet, remote the mirror switch under the dash to hide it and install a blank plate in the old switch location. Would involve chasing some wires and doing a little re-wiring if you were up to it.

The mirror switch in my DeLoran is half-operative, I seriously considered just pulling the thing out and shorting the wires to get the mirrors in their optimum position, and closing everything up, leaving the broken switch there.
    This is funny to me because my mirror switch works however I have a wiring problem somewhere between the switch and the passenger side mirror. Not having the time or necesity to tear off the t-panel, etc to run the problem down just yet I temporarily ran jumpers from the switch accross the car to the mirror connector to adjust it. Haven't needed to re-adjust since and that was about 2 motnhs ago.

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I never realized that mirror switches were such a failure prone part. Guess I should be happy my original still works.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I never realized that mirror switches were such a failure prone part. Guess I should be happy my original still works.
    My original one still works as well. When it fails I'm going to replace it with a carburetor.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast