FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Illustrated Buyer's Guide to Delorean Automobiles Review

My VIN:    3299

I bought a copy of this book while I was picking up my car at DMCMW. This is a little gem of a book. $30 is a bit much to swallow for about 110 pages - BUT - the knowledge in the book is well worth it. Most of it is stuff we already know, but there were definitely some lil zingers and "I didn't know that !!" moments.

Overall, worth the money if you want to really go into some unique details about the cars and get caught up on some DeLorean lore. I don't regret buying it!
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    16409

Just got my copy in the mail! It looks to be a good read. I think the $30 seems reasonable for all those color photographs. This will join my other DeLorean related books.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    10084

Copy is on its way from Ebay.
    Michael Todd
    St. Louis

My VIN:    4266, Previously 11056

I got my Copy of the book today and have started going through it. As a non-owner who is looking to buy (hopefully soon!) I can tell you there is a lot of good information in here for someone who isn't as familliar with the cars. (I have only seen a few cars in person on my quest to buy one.) I'll update this post with my thoughts when I am finished as this book is honestly aimed at someone like myself.

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

One of the questions I get asked from time to time is “what documents came with the car when new?” In this posting at deloreanguide.com, I’ll show these documents and briefly describe them.

There were two significantly different versions of the handbook, and the valet (vinyl pouch/handbook holder) that should have accompanied it. These were put into the cars not at the factory, but at the QAC as part of the final inspection.

http://deloreanguide.com/?p=71

James
    James Espey, President
    DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
    http://www.lcassicdmc.com

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    One of the questions I get asked from time to time is “what documents came with the car when new?” In this posting at deloreanguide.com, I’ll show these documents and briefly describe them.

There were two significantly different versions of the handbook, and the valet (vinyl pouch/handbook holder) that should have accompanied it. These were put into the cars not at the factory, but at the QAC as part of the final inspection.

James
    James - any plans to reproduce these and sell at DMC? I see original versions come up on eBay and this forum from time to time but they always seem to command top $. Probably too much cost to produce on a small scale (as is the case with lots of DMC repro parts) but figured I'd ask nonetheless.
    Jeff

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post

James
    Thanks for the info James!
    6599 came with all of the original paperwork, (In Perfect shape), Minus the, Notification of Ownership and/or Address postcard.

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

After being in print for a little more than two years, I just completed and have available an updated second edition of The Illustrated Buyer's Guide to DeLorean Automobiles. I've added about 7-8 pages to include some information that has become more relevant since the first edition was released in 2012. I was also able to significantly update the lists of company cars used at the factory for various purposes.
    James Espey, President
    DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
    http://www.lcassicdmc.com

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

That's great news, when will it be available for sale?

My VIN:    4519

I liked the book and glad I have it, but I agree that it's too light for $30. It also references web links that are (or were) non-existent. James appears to be a warehouse of knowledge; he could have filled twice as many pages, and I think he should have.

The book was good for my situation because I wasn't yet knowledgeable enough when I bought my car, and didn't have someone to bring with me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast