FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 3rd Brake Light - "Corvette" style from Special T Auto

Quote Originally Posted by john 05141 View Post
    Jut a question; I do not want to drill holes into the louvre. Did you guys use double sided tape?
    Question 2, if no holes are drilled, what about the cable? There are 2 options, very close to the T-panel, or near the rear edge of the top louvre, where the cable bends underneath the louvre?
    The way I set mine up, I used commercial-grade (and outdoor-rated) velcro strips to attach the third taillight to the louvers. Makes it easily replaceable by just buying new strips. I wiped the louvers down with water and scrubbed with a paper towel to clean off as much as I could before attaching, and did the same for the taillight. No idea how long it'll last since it hasn't been road tested as of yet, but it's important for me that everything is easily reversible, which this is.

As far as wiring, I routed mine through the gap between the top louver and the second from the top until it reached the left side, then I put some slack so it wouldn't rip apart when I raised the louvers. Where you route it from there depends on what you plan on tapping into. I ran mine down the left rear quarter panel so I could tap directly into the rear taillight, which is why I chose that route. When you're showing it off with the louvers up, spectators really can't see it unless they're looking for it. Try a length of string and binder clips and see for yourself how hidden it is. Picture below. Please excuse the binder clip, I'm still looking for a more long-term attachment method and binder clips hold better than anything else I have in the house right now.

IMG_7331.jpg

My VIN:    05141

I am planning to install the 3rd brake light thisd evening.
    I too do noat to drill holes into the louvre. I was considering just one for the cable, as this could also double as a safety when the unite would come loose.
    Agreed, it is not hard to fill the holes in the louvre, but I do not want to go this permanent.
    So I will install it without holes. If I still like it by next winter, maybe I will drill one hole for the cable.

Dave's remark about the sanding, good idea, it is kind of a long piece and the louvre bends. I will see if that can be done.

I'll post pictures when ready.

John

Steering with power

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3