FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Looking at air compressors...

Looking at air compressors...

So I'm wanting to get an air compressor for the garage, mainly to use for the occasional car work sessions. I don't need a professional sized one, all I'm wanting to use it for is an impact driver, an air ratchet, and maybe a sander/grinder but that's not really a deal maker/breaker, mainly just the first two. I've looked at Sears and Harbor Freight and am leaning towards something in the 21 gallon range. Anyone have any suggestions? Oiless or oiled?
    2004 Acura RSX Type S - Daily Driver
    1964 Chevrolet Impala SS - No, not a lowrider

My VIN:    6883, 6146-Acura Powered, Formerly 10310 and 628

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

The bigger, the better. The smaller ones get frustrating when using tools like sanders and grinders as they cannot keep up with the CFM required. The down-side is they are less portable, but if it is for the garage, it doen't need to be. Another good thing to have is a hose/reel located near the center of the garage so it can easily reach all 4 corners of the car. It beats dragging out and rolling up hoses by hand all the time. Just my $.02
    Tom

My VIN:    6125

I have a 10 gal oiled compressor from harbor freight. I definitely should have gone with the larger size (+20 gal) because using an orbital sander, impact, or sand blaster quickly gets me down in the 40psi range where the compressor runs almost continually to keep up.

From my own experience and the reviews I've read the compressors at HF are pretty well built and last a long time as long as they are maintained and kept at the proper oil level. I've had mine for several years with no issues ans I use it at least a few times a week.

My VIN:    03572

You probably should also have a dedicated circuit. Go with 220 volt is you can. Your compressor will be more efficient with 220 volts. The sanders usually need 7 CFM at 90 PSI. Tank size does not really matter if your compressor can supply the maximum air you will need.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Get one with pistons. The diaphragm type will drive you crazy (noisy). Avoid anything that says "oil-less". If at all possible get one that runs on 220V, at least 3 HP for your home shop. Gallons is not important. Horsepower and CFM is what counts.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

I've got 220 for a dryer in the laundry room next to the garage that isn't being used. All of the compressors I could find online appear to have to be hard wired as they don't list cords. An Ingersoll Rand unit with a 2hp and a SCFM of 5.5 at 90psi seems to be enough to use an impact wrench and air ratchet for car projects. While a 3hp one with a higher SCFM rating would be nice, they're a little out of my budget range.
    http://www.sears.com:80/ingersoll-ra...&blockType=G11

Opinions on this one?
    2004 Acura RSX Type S - Daily Driver
    1964 Chevrolet Impala SS - No, not a lowrider

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

Quote Originally Posted by tommyrich View Post
    The bigger, the better. The smaller ones get frustrating when using tools like sanders and grinders as they cannot keep up with the CFM required. The down-side is they are less portable, but if it is for the garage, it doen't need to be. Another good thing to have is a hose/reel located near the center of the garage so it can easily reach all 4 corners of the car. It beats dragging out and rolling up hoses by hand all the time.
    +1. i have Harbor Freight's 50' Retractable Hose Reel mounted on my ceiling at the rear of the garage. my garage is 20'x20', and the hose even reaches far enough outside to work on vehicles in the driveway. it is solid, well made (i.e., heavy!) steel, and the instructions even tell you how to replace the hose if it wears out. Harbor Freight also makes a 25' hose reel, but just spend a few more dollars and get the 50' reel, its well worth it. they send out coupons regularly that knock the price down to $69, so dont spend full price either.

i have a tiny compressor, so i am looking for a larger one as well. i am thinking about getting this one, but would definitely like the giant 5HP one someday...
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

In the last two houses I've had, I actually installed the compressor in the basement and plumbed it to the garage. This has a couple of advatages - I found it easier to run air line (1/2 or 3/4 copper) than conduit/wiring (220 V wiring in the basement is easy), its quieter in the garage (noiser in the house, but when I'm in the garage I'm not in the house!), and cooler which is better for the compressor. The only disadvantage is that the humidity is higher in the basement (at least where I live) so you need a good drier on the air line (which you should have anyway).
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    In the last two houses I've had, I actually installed the compressor in the basement and plumbed it to the garage...
    ive actually been strongly considering this when i get a larger compressor for the reasons you mentioned. my garage isnt climate-controlled, and it gets to be ridiculously hot/humid in the summer which wouldnt be good for the compressor.

also, my 20'x20' garage doesnt have a whole lot of extra floor space for a big compressor.
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%