FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How To: Removing intake manifold

My VIN:    5302

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I'm about 75% of the way through this, and when trying to loosen some of the fuel lines from the distributor, the entire fuel mixture unit tilts up at the rear and rocks towards the firewall. Maybe there's nothing wrong with that, but it seems like the W-pipe should be removed AFTER the fuel lines are disconnected, to hold the mixture unit more firmly in place. Is the rocking anything to worry about? It's pretty bad with the horizontal banjo bolts, and no assistant to hold the mixture unit in place.
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DL4567 View Post
    I'm about 75% of the way through this, and when trying to loosen some of the fuel lines from the distributor, the entire fuel mixture unit tilts up at the rear and rocks towards the firewall. Maybe there's nothing wrong with that, but it seems like the W-pipe should be removed AFTER the fuel lines are disconnected, to hold the mixture unit more firmly in place. Is the rocking anything to worry about? It's pretty bad with the horizontal banjo bolts, and no assistant to hold the mixture unit in place.
    No one has replied to this, so let me take a stab. For some of the jobs, there's actually no need to remove the fuel lines. The mixture unit can be pushed far enough out of the way. This is what I did when I removed my manifold for painting.

As for supporting the mixture unit, as long as it's not banging around or causing undue stress on things, I wouldn't overthink it. And I certainly don't think there's any reason not not remove the W-Pipe first if that
    works better for you.

My VIN:    5302

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    No one has replied to this, so let me take a stab. For some of the jobs, there's actually no need to remove the fuel lines. The mixture unit can be pushed far enough out of the way. This is what I did when I removed my manifold for painting.

As for supporting the mixture unit, as long as it's not banging around or causing undue stress on things, I wouldn't overthink it. And I certainly don't think there's any reason not not remove the W-Pipe first if that works better for you.
    Thanks for your reply. I pushed on and am much further in the process now (almost done). Just this morning I removed the 4 manifold bolts after letting them soak in PB Blaster overnight. Having never done the manifold removal project before, I've learned a lot and have a feeling of accomplishment.
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2