FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: So I'm planning to go Carbureted

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Forum: Carb

The purpose of this subforum is for someone to take a swipe at carburetion, which is okay, and is allowed to stand, then to complain when someone responds.
    Fixed for accuracy.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    Fixed for accuracy.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Forum: Carb

The purpose of this subforum is to provide technical references for the conversion of the DeLoreans to carburation and for documenting individual project progress. It is not for debating one form of fuel delivery over any other and the thread author reserves the right to audit/edit or have removed, any posts at his discretion. These guidelines are clearly presented in advance and if you do not wish to abide by them, please feel free to refrain from contributing to this subforum.
    Unlike EFI guys, we (carb trash) like drama. I welcome all white trash comments.

Nothing witty here lest it offend

I keep having sync loss issues!
    \
    Fixed again. Love ya!

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Squall67584 View Post
    It's been about 3 years, but in an issue of Hot Rod, someone mailed in a question about carbing a Fox body Mustang (80's-early 90's 5.0) on the cheap. In the reply, they mentioned keeping the high volume EFI fuel pump and using a fuel pressure regulator to keep the 8-9lbs of pressure (or whatever is needed) and using the stock return line for the bypassed fuel. Since I can't remember the issue it was in, the brand they suggested slips my mind, but I remember it was something you had to call the manufacturer and order since most regulators are made to regulate high pressures or low but not in the way the one they used was. Seems like using a regulator like that would be the best way.
    You can get low pressure electric fuel pumps (even rail mounted) for 20-30 bucks.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    You can get low pressure electric fuel pumps (even rail mounted) for 20-30 bucks.
    The low pressure required for a carb is the one big advantage I see of going carb. A regulator with the OEM fuel pump should really make that pump run forever. Current draw of a regulated OEM pump should run close to a low pressure pump. So if you have a working fuel system why not leave it.

The two disadvantages of going carb are less MPG (your mixture will change with altitude and other variables) and non-regulated idle speed (AC on, cold engine warmup, etc).
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The two disadvantages of going carb are..................cold engine warmup, etc).
    We have a fast idle thingie that can be set to make it idle high until the engine is warmed up. It works very nicely. We do loose a little gas mileage yes, but its a trade off I'm willing to accept for reliability.

Whats funny is in some instances I get high gas mileage compared to a poor running K-Jet system. Properly tuned/running K-Jet or EFI should be us in gas mileage any day though. We would have to be complete idiots to argue against that.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Regardless of the fuel delivery option MPG is dependent mainly on the fuel available. I have seen the exact same car with a difference of minimum 5mpg due to fuel quality.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Regardless of the fuel delivery option MPG is dependent mainly on the fuel available. I have seen the exact same car with a difference of minimum 5mpg due to fuel quality.
    What would you consider high quality fuel versus low quality?

Personally I put Chevron in my cars, but if there isn't one around I'll use Shell.
    - Chris

what

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    What would you consider high quality fuel versus low quality?

Personally I put Chevron in my cars, but if there isn't one around I'll use Shell.
    Chevron is garbage if it has ethanol in it. A high quality gas is one that is 100% gas. When I burn ethanol I get as low as 20mpg. I've seen gas mileage as high as 28mpg (actually 30 twice but I have doubts it was accurate) when I burn 100% pure gas.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast