FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: So I'm planning to go Carbureted

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

What the problem is and always will be is consistency. Despite what we are told gas is not produced to that great of a regulatory rule book. In the early 2000's in school we tested the actual rating of fuel and the results were surprising then. The amount of cutting and additives has doubled since then.

Best results high end race gas for economy. That kinda negates the entire thing though with the price difference and or cost savings.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Chevron is garbage if it has ethanol in it. A high quality gas is one that is 100% gas. When I burn ethanol I get as low as 20mpg. I've seen gas mileage as high as 28mpg (actually 30 twice but I have doubts it was accurate) when I burn 100% pure gas.
    I recalculate my gas mileage with every fill-up and I pull between 25 and 28 MPG with whatever gas I use. That being said, I also don't ever drive aggressively and I've peaked between 38 and 41 on my Audi A4.

And I can't speak for your moon colony but it's damn near impossible to find non-ethanol gas around here.
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    You can get low pressure electric fuel pumps (even rail mounted) for 20-30 bucks.
    Wait, has anyone used a rail mounted pump in a DeLorean? I would LOVE to see that setup because I'd actually really like to get my fuel pump out of the tank. I wanted to have a wall mounted pump in my car anyway, with a pickup line running to the tank, but I couldn't come up with a good system.

Also I say do what makes you the most comfortable with the car. If you're better with carbs, carb it! IF you're better with EFI, do it! If you know K-jet inside and out, keep it original! Same goes with engines!

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The low pressure required for a carb is the one big advantage I see of going carb. A regulator with the OEM fuel pump should really make that pump run forever. Current draw of a regulated OEM pump should run close to a low pressure pump. So if you have a working fuel system why not leave it.

The two disadvantages of going carb are less MPG (your mixture will change with altitude and other variables) and non-regulated idle speed (AC on, cold engine warmup, etc).
    Agreed!
    Another advantage of a low pressure pump is that you don't have ~90psi running the length of the vehicle and 70psi in the engine compartment. If you mount it near the engine, you have no pressure (other than what might be in the tank and that due to gravity) until it's needed.

We have a fast idle thingie that can be set to make it idle high until the engine is warmed up. It works very nicely. We do loose a little gas mileage yes, but its a trade off I'm willing to accept for reliability.
    It's called a choke (lol), the K-Jet equivalent is the idle speed control.
    As for reliability, it seems you are comparing a (who knows how many times) rebuilt carb to a 30 year old system???
    ...and often "mechanics" that barely understand either.

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Regardless of the fuel delivery option MPG is dependent mainly on the fuel available. I have seen the exact same car with a difference of minimum 5mpg due to fuel quality.
    I basically agree with this. But if you put the same fuel in a carbed and a K-Jet, the K-Jet will give better mileage, good or bad gas....and w/o a lambda system the difference will be greater the worse the fuel.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

It's called a choke (lol), the K-Jet equivalent is the idle speed control.
    Nope. Its called a fast idle cam/screw. It holds the throttle plates open (to increase idle) until the choke plate is fully open. Once the choke plate is open the fast idle screw is released and idle returns to normal. This is basically used to make our carbs idle high until the thing is warmed up. It is fully adjustable and you can make it idle as high or low as you please.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    And I can't speak for your moon colony but it's damn near impossible to find non-ethanol gas around here.
    http://pure-gas.org/

Nope. Its called a fast idle cam/screw. It holds the throttle plates open (to increase idle) until the choke plate is fully open. Once the choke plate is open the fast idle screw is released and idle returns to normal. This is basically used to make our carbs idle high until the thing is warmed up. It is fully adjustable and you can make it idle as high or low as you please.
    It's not that simple...
    What sets the cam? -- The choke. (Which also adjusts the A/F ratio during fast idle.)
    You have to set the choke, which sets the cam, which you have to set correctly to open the throttle plates to the correct position. (Then you have to hit the pedal once to get it to work (if the engine is cold). And it will needlessly set there even after the engine is warmed up, wasting fuel, if you don't hit the pedal (on most of those older carbs anyway). K-Jet does most of this for you.
    Last edited by Ron; 06-23-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Banned

And what sets the cam? -- The choke.
    You have to set the choke, which sets the cam, which you have to set correctly to open the throttle plates to the correct position. (Then you have to hit the pedal once to get it to work (if the engine is cold). And it will needlessly set there even after the engine is warmed up, wasting fuel, if you don't hit the pedal (on most of those older carbs anyway). K-Jet does most of this for you.
    The choke releases the cam. Its the screw on the back of the carb that determines how high or low the thing idles until the choke is open.

The choke releases the cam. Its the screw on the back of the carb that determines how high or low the thing idles until the choke is open.
    Yes. You have to set the choke to corectly set and release the fast idle...it is in control!
    ???

Banned

Yes. You have to set it to corectly set and release the fast idle...it is in control!
    ???
    Ron sucks.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast