FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Lets Talk Radiators Because there is some BAD information out (just replaced mine)

For any Radiator Guru

I have a friend who owns a Radiator factory. Last time he made a Delorean radiator for me he wasn't there, so I spoke to a lady there, before she saw the radiator she asked if it was for a forklift or for a stationary machinery, I asked her why, she explained that they use different type of core because no much air ciculation on those applications.

My question is, would a Delorean benefit if that kind of radiator core is used instead of the one currently used?

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Hey Nick, any chance of an installed pic? I'd like to see how everything lines up.
    What do you want to see? The mounting brackets? The ports? Fan shroud? I'll try to take a photo or two but the area is tight so I want to know what to focus on.

The radiator truly dropped right in though. No modifications anywhere. I actually helped Cliff S. install one of Ed's radiators on a car a few years ago and we had to modify and notch both the fan shroud and the radiator shroud to get it all to fit. Ed has definitely updated and refined and updated the design since then for better packaging and now fits perfectly.

With regard to the mounting bolts, yes, SS bolts are fine. This is by no means a high load area. A 10.9 grade bolt has a tensile strength of about 150,000 psi where the SS bolts are around 80,000-100,000 psi (depending on quality). The cross sectional area of an M10 bolt is ~ .1in^2. Even to fail the SS bolt it would take a minimum 8,000lb tensile loading on one bolt just for it to fail. The mounting brackets that are held on by M6 bolts would be destroyed long before the M10s holding the radiator were affected. The only loading these bolts will see is the opposing force from compressing the rubber bushings, lol

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post

The radiator truly dropped right in though. No modifications anywhere.
    Awesome, that's what I like to hear No word from Ed but he said it was a 4 day ship time. Looking forward to seeing it!
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

As for the pics, just a couple showing the fit of the fan shroud and the mounting brackets/SS bolts and maybe one from the side. Thanks man!
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    2964

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Awesome, that's what I like to hear No word from Ed but he said it was a 4 day ship time. Looking forward to seeing it!
    I got it in 3 weeks, and was missing the rubber bushings. He sent them once told him they were missing.
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    I got it in 3 weeks, and was missing the rubber bushings. He sent them once told him they were missing.
    I remember via the tracking that mine did hold up in customs for a few days. I guess it all depends how long that takes.

I'll try to get pics soon. I've got my final final exams the next 2 days so it may not get to it until the end of the week but I'll try.

Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    True to his word, it looks like mine is already past customs in New Jersey after 2 days. Will end up being 6 total because of a pesky weekend in the mix, but still not too bad
    Jon

True to his word, it looks like mine is already past customs in New Jersey after 2 days. Will end up being 6 total because of a pesky weekend in the mix, but still not too bad
    Wow. Just got the radiator in, 4 business days exactly. For a custom designed part. All the way from the other side of the planet. Meanwhile I've been waiting 3 weeks for a lousy pack of copper washers from a vendor a few hundred miles away.

Props to Ed, this thing looks bulletproof. I love the welded side tanks - there's no way those will leak. And all the bushings/hardware were included. Looking forward to the job!
    Jon

Wow. Just got the radiator in, 4 business days exactly. For a custom designed part. All the way from the other side of the planet. Meanwhile I've been waiting 3 weeks for a lousy pack of copper washers from a vendor a few hundred miles away.

Props to Ed, this thing looks bulletproof. I love the welded side tanks - there's no way those will leak. And all the bushings/hardware were included. Looking forward to the job!
    That was pretty much my reaction too when I saw it!

As for that other vendor you're waiting on.... yea... WTF is going on? I ordered 8 bushings on April 8th (nothing else, just 8 bushings), he said he finally shipped them yesterday, April 24th, 16 days later (I've already missed lost days when I planned to install them). "One man operation" or not, there is no excuse for that. That is simply bad business.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    That was pretty much my reaction too when I saw it!

As for that other vendor you're waiting on.... yea... WTF is going on? I ordered 8 bushings on April 8th (nothing else, just 8 bushings), he said he finally shipped them yesterday, April 24th, 16 days later (I've already missed lost days when I planned to install them). "One man operation" or not, there is no excuse for that. That is simply bad business.
    No fooling. Not to turn this into yet another thread about the one man operation, or anything.

I'm really looking forward to installing this radiator now. I had it sitting on my desk at work all day (I'm like a little kid when parts come in, I have to open them right away and play) and this one got a lot of attention, especially from other gearheads. I especially like the bolt-into-radiator lower mounting as opposed to the nut-on-post of the original.
    Jon

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6