I'm making a new thread as a previous thread has recently come up, and I figured rather than hi-jack that one, I'd start my own.
The first portion of this topic is identical to the one in the DeLorean Club of Ohio Sub-folder just FYI.
So who all here has replaced their rear wheel bearings? I ask this because I'm getting a clunking noise from the back passenger side of the car. It dominantly does it when turning left whether you turn left hard, soft, slow or fast. Turning hard and fast makes the noise happen much faster - almost cyclic or rotational. Going slow and turning softly makes the noise happen much slower. It almost sounds like loose metal on metal rubbing against each other.
I called Casey and we diagnoed everything to the best of our ability on the phone including:
1. We checked both inner drive shafts and all the bolts on each side of the drive shafts.
2. We checked both trailing arms - both sides leading to the TABs and the wheel hub carrier. No slack or looseness in either side of both trailing arms.
3. We checked the two 20mm bolts on the sides of the hub carriers that are right next to the wheel side of the inner drive shafts.
4. We checked the two 17mm bolts in the engine bay that attach the fiberglass underbody to the frame. I know there's more that we did but I don't know the proper terminology but to be frank, anywhere that a bolt goes into the frame - we checked it.
5. We checked for slack/looseness in the tires with the lugnuts really tight and the wheels in the air; there's no give in either rear tire. The tires are good; I actually swapped them out today and the noise has been present with both sets of rear tires.
6. The shocks are not leaking any fluid at all.
The noise is nearly IDENTICAL to the noise in this clip from Vacancy. I know it's crazy to compare the sound from a movie to a sound I am really hearing in my car, but at 0:03-0:04, that noise is VERY similar to what I am hearing whenever I turn left in the car. Never happens turning right.
What you guys think - rear wheel bearing replacement time ?