FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooling Fans Not Working

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Cooling Fans Not Working

Hey all.

So earlier today I had mentioned that I was attempting to wire in DPNW's "Wings-B-Cool" cooling fan modification kit. Aside from being a pretty huge pain thanks to having issues with a missed wire causing the car not to start, the remaining problem I am having is that my cooling fans no longer work at all.

Is anyone familiar with this kit?

http://www.delorean-parts.com/Mercha...gory_Code=9475

I sent Toby an email a little while ago, but I'm still trying to run down the problem on my own. I need some help with this one.

To make absolutely sure I am not dealing with any backed-out relay connections, I pulled all of the wires from both sockets and connected them directly to the appropriate terminals on the relays. Still no go.
    - Chris

what

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

How did you test the fans? Did you get the car warm enough? Did you try jumping the otterstat? How about when you turn the AC on?
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

I tested by both running the AC and letting the temperature get up to (and past) 220.

The fans worked fine up until this morning before I attempted the wiring modification. The otterstat is fine.
    - Chris

what

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

I had a variation of that mod on my car for a long time. The instructions are pretty clear, but there is some ambiguity as to which way you are looking at the pins on the sockets. Make sure you aren't looking at the mating side when they show the wire side (or the opposite, I have not seen the instructions for years).

Rather than testing the circuit by overheating the engine , just put a jumper across the otterstat connectors.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    The fans worked fine up until this morning before I attempted the wiring modification. The otterstat is fine.
    Sounds like a loose connection, a break in the wiring, or incorrect wiring somewhere. Got a test light? Check out the Cooling Fan Schematic, find a good ground, then start testing.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?40...ing-Schematics

I've had my fans go out due to incorrect fan fail socket jumpering, and on another occasion with a bad breaker.
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    I had a variation of that mod on my car for a long time. The instructions are pretty clear, but there is some ambiguity as to which way you are looking at the pins on the sockets. Make sure you aren't looking at the mating side when they show the wire side (or the opposite, I have not seen the instructions for years).

Rather than testing the circuit by overheating the engine , just put a jumper across the otterstat connectors.
    I always wired everything based on the one vertical pin (#30) being at the top. Based on the instructions, everything is wired correctly since all of the existing wires were in the correct described places.
    - Chris

what

This modification requires you to pull the pins out of the sockets and move them around. At that point the original schematic is useless.

To me the biggest problem with this mod is that if someone comes along later and tries to put the normal fan jumper, a fan controller, or even a blue fan fail module in the socket, Bad Things will happen. When you are done please be sure to put a large label somewhere that explains what you did.
    Dave S
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    This modification requires you to pull the pins out of the sockets and move them around. At that point the original schematic is useless.
    No, I get that. What I'm saying is, the instructions detailed quite well where the wires were in the original setup, at least the ones that needed moving. Since all of the descriptions of those wires were correct, I was clearly looking at the correct orientation for the rewire.

Where's the otterstat located so I can jump it? Will that test work without the engine running?
    - Chris

what

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    No, I get that. What I'm saying is, the instructions detailed quite well where the wires were in the original setup, at least the ones that needed moving. Since all of the descriptions of those wires were correct, I was clearly looking at the correct orientation for the rewire.

Where's the otterstat located so I can jump it? Will that test work without the engine running?
    In the coolant pipe just to the left (driver side) of the engine usually facing down. Disconnect the two terminals and jumper them together. The key needs to be on for the fans to run. Engine can be off.

There are some diodes in the circuit that may be damage if a gross wiring error has occurred (see the above-referenced circuit diagram). They are in the large wire loom in the electrical compartment. If the diode(s) open up the fans will not turn on.
    Dave S
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    03572

Those diodes may have a bad connection after moving the harness around with the install. Find those diodes (in the harness at the far right side of the relay compartment). Unplug and plug back in one connection at a time on those diodes.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast