FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: tap tap tap

My VIN:    05257

The level is at max. Probably starter, did not know that it has seal with the motor.
    So I decided to change the oil. It is not very dirty (jest a couple of hundred kilometres) but very thick. It's +15C here. What worries me is the amount of metal on the magnet (new style oil drain plug).
    The filter looks clean - does it make sense to cut it and see what's inside?
    I have a small camera on the cable and put it in but couldn't find the oil pickup tube. I suspect it might be plugged. I will start the engine tomorrow and note the pressure.
    Currently with the cold start it's approx 20 psi (fluctuating 15-30psi due to idle hunt) and 45 psi at 3000 Rpm (according to panel gauge).

Gesendet von meinem Mi 9T mit Tapatalk

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

To be clear, the starter doesn't have a seal. If there is oil leaking from the rear main seal, it can get slung'/drip and come out around the starer where it goes through to reach the flywheel... Wind can blow it back and make it spread.

That looks like a lot of metal to me too, especially if you recently changed the oil.
    Can't hurt to look inside the filter...could be clogging up from the looks of things. Dunno.

I wouldn't get too worried until you get a mechanical gauge on it.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

That is a LOT of ferrous metal! Way more than you should see. I would do a compression test, get an accurate pressure gauge on the oil system, and a leak-down test to see what has been damaged. My guess is rings. When you pull the spark plugs, see if they are oily. Might want to measure valve lift to see if the cams are damaged too. With that much metal, it is no surprise you have low oil pressure. When you cut the filter open you will probably find a lot more metal.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    That is a LOT of ferrous metal! Way more than you should see. I would do a compression test, get an accurate pressure gauge on the oil system, and a leak-down test to see what has been damaged. My guess is rings. When you pull the spark plugs, see if they are oily. Might want to measure valve lift to see if the cams are damaged too. With that much metal, it is no surprise you have low oil pressure. When you cut the filter open you will probably find a lot more metal.
    that kind of dark gray sludge like grease is ground up metal. time to rebuild. my fear with low oil pressure is that you have an excessively scored/worn oil pump bore.
    before you tear down the whole thing, maybe pull the timing cover and the oil pump and inspect that, in addition to what David T said

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    +1 ...that much/quick and it not knocking, sounds like cam (?now adjusted out?).

Quote Originally Posted by mark w View Post
    that kind of dark gray sludge like grease is ground up metal. time to rebuild. my fear with low oil pressure is that you have an excessively scored/worn oil pump bore.
    before you tear down the whole thing, maybe pull the timing cover and the oil pump and inspect that, in addition to what David T said
    +1... Showing 45lbs, but, the pump has definitely had a bad diet.

Hmm,...the pics of cams don't look like they've been eating at the same place, to me. (Too 'clean'??)

Thanks to all! I will measure the compression and will try to measure the oil pressure. My neighbours are not very happy with me running DeLorean since "it stinks"...

Yes, the cold oil pressure is there (but these numbers, 15 idle and 57 at 3000 rpm should be also with hot oil), the cams look not bad.

I have a feeling that the oil pickup tube/mesh is dirty, probably it's a good time to drop the oil pan and inspect? Will I also see the pump?

I am wondering what is the reason for all this wear...the car ran only a couple of hundred miles since last oil change. Before that it was standing for half year (according to the previous owner, may be longer since it was not running and we had to rebuilt whole gas tank pump unit).

Filled in 10W-40 Castrol GTX. Interestingly, the gauge showing more stable pressure, and higher after cold start (+16C) than with the 20W-50. 30-40 psi at idle cold and 50 at 3000 rpm. When the temp gauge showed 130 F the idle went down to 10 and 3000 rpm at 30psi. Further increase in temp (190) showing idle 0 psi and 3000 Rpm 20psi. The fans turn on on 190 and cooled down to 170F.
    Interestingly, the oil warning light did not come on today during idling hot at all. The temp was about 5deg lower, too.
    Driving down the hill cooled down the engine to 120F so my thermostat is definitely stuck open?

I did not have a chance to hook up the pressure gauge instead of pressure sensor, will do it in one week after my return.

My plan is to drop down the pan and inspect the motor from underneath. Cut the oil filter to check. Perhaps will send the oil sample for testing in the lab.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    Hello, bringing up this thread. Did it sound similar? It is louder when warm. Oil is fresh, Castrol GTX 20W-50. The oil pressure is very low at idle and warm though....
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/hd1tysQgsW8xZsis5

Thanks!
    I had something similar a few years ago, it was a plugged oiler orifice.

Have you tried using a listening rod to pinpoint the location? When I had the noise, I was able to easily determine where the noise was originating.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I had something similar a few years ago, it was a plugged oiler orifice.

Have you tried using a listening rod to pinpoint the location? When I had the noise, I was able to easily determine where the noise was originating.
    Thanks. Yes these were the valve clearance issue (please see the discussion above). Yes will drop the pan and inspect the orifice.

My VIN:    4519

My issue was an oiler orifice on the rocker (didn't need to drop the pan.)

I used a listening rod to find the location, then a small mirror to inspect the orifice & confirm the blockage.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast