FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Trouble with the battery light

Trouble with the battery light

So i am new to the world of Delorean, and I am having a problem with the battery light.

With the car at a low idle the light is on but dim, then i hit the gas and the light gets bright along with the voltage meter going from 12ish volts up to 13/14 volts. I have a new belt from delorean of Texas and i have it tight. (A post on here told me to try that). If i drive with the vent fan off and the cooling fan off the voltage will stay at 13 volts. I cleaned the terminal on the alternator and the wiring harness that goes through the fire wall in the engine compartment.

I have to take and get the alternator tested (the small wire is rusted on there so i am still trying to disconnect it.) but is there anything else i should test before spending the money on a new alternator?

Thank you for the help

My VIN:    3937

Hello Some Guy!!

To try and fix Some Electrical Problem on That Car, I'd suggest cleaning your grounds.

Seriously though, search for the threads on the forum here for cleaning electrical grounds and see about ruling that out as your issue. You mentioned a couple "rusty" electrical components so my gut feel is cleaning your grounds is a good place to start.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

I will for sure try that, I keep hearing about a ground under the dash that causes issues. Can i get to that with out taking apart my dash. I think it could be that, because my blinkers will make all my gauges act up.

so the light worked

After thinking it was a bad ground and other stuff, it turned out to be a bad alternator. I did the Saturn alternator fix and it worked so far. Fingers crossed.

If you are reading this to do this fix it was not hard. I just drilled out the alternator to make it fit the stock alternator bolt and used the wiring harness from a parts store. If you are looking for this harness, you have to ask for the harness from a Chevy lumina. It was 9.99 from my local parts store.
    After that, you just have to make a spacer so the alternator will line up correctly. the wiring of the alternator was not hard either.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

"some guy" - can you post your questions in the main area of the "General Discussion" sub-forum in future. That's the best area for problems, and it ensures you will get the most attention and help.

Mods - can you move this?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

I would move it, but i don't know how. I was having a tough time finding out how to post. I still have to learn the little differences of this sight.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Mods - can you move this?
    Done