FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buzzing from center console while driving

My VIN:    3472 (former)

Club(s):   (DCVA) (DCUK)

Buzzing from center console while driving

I've had a buzzing noise coming from what seems to be the air vents in the center console for the longest time. See video:

It obviously sounds like something is vibrating, and I've pressed on every piece I could while driving to try and see what's loose but have had no luck. It seems most prominent when I'm going about 35-40mph, that creates the perfect resonance.

Anyone else experience this and been able to track it down?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I've had a buzzing noise coming from what seems to be the air vents in the center console for the longest time. See video:

It obviously sounds like something is vibrating, and I've pressed on every piece I could while driving to try and see what's loose but have had no luck. It seems most prominent when I'm going about 35-40mph, that creates the perfect resonance.

Anyone else experience this and been able to track it down?
    Check the black metal strip across the top of the windshield. If it isn't down hard against the glass, the wind can catch it and make it vibrate.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Sounds like something is loose somewhere.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Burns View Post
    Sounds like something is loose somewhere.
    LOL, most helpful comment to date!!

Have you tried having a passenger ride along and try to pinpoint the location while you drive?

Do you feel any vibration in the gearshift? I had a similar noise that ended up being missing bushings in the shift linkage.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    2506

my first guesses would be (since this happens all the time in my car):
    -loose nut, washer vibrating.. could be anywhere
    -loose change in the ash tray, or under the console sitting on the frame
    -aftermarket radio mount - thin sheet metal contacts all over. there's that hanging support that bolts to the back of the radio too.

Club(s):   (DCH)

Some good points but besides a visual check by rattle things up and down the only way I would say is to get a passenger to hunt around whilst you drive

Good luck
    Bozzzy | DCUK 003 | VIN 5740 | Yorkshire, UK

My VIN:    3472 (former)

Club(s):   (DCVA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Check the black metal strip across the top of the windshield. If it isn't down hard against the glass, the wind can catch it and make it vibrate.
    It feels pretty solid, but there may be some slight movement, so I won't rule it out just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Have you tried having a passenger ride along and try to pinpoint the location while you drive?

Do you feel any vibration in the gearshift? I had a similar noise that ended up being missing bushings in the shift linkage.
    I'll probably do this next, it'll be helpful to have someone move their ear around the cabin. As far as shift linkage, it seems the sound is more coming from the radio/vent area rather than under the armrest area.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox2506 View Post
    my first guesses would be (since this happens all the time in my car):
    -loose nut, washer vibrating.. could be anywhere
    -loose change in the ash tray, or under the console sitting on the frame
    -aftermarket radio mount - thin sheet metal contacts all over. there's that hanging support that bolts to the back of the radio too.
    Aftermarket radio mount seems most likely, as you can see I do have one. I might try to remove the radio and the mount and then go for a drive and see what happens.

Thanks, all!

My VIN:    3997

I'd pull the radio out and have my passenger then check for a noise. Could be coming from behind the radio! Have someone wire small hands go with you so they can get their hands into the small space
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    3849 (former 4117)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Any idea how to fix this? I'm pretty sure I have this same issue. When approaching 70mph I start to hear a vibration - sounds like someone taking a 9 volt battery to a speaker...very random. Anyway, I finally was able to pinpoint the sound from just above the rear view mirror. I can wedge a couple fingers at the top of the window next to the headliner, feel it vibrate and slightly change the sound.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Kozmatic View Post
    Any idea how to fix this? I'm pretty sure I have this same issue. When approaching 70mph I start to hear a vibration - sounds like someone taking a 9 volt battery to a speaker...very random. Anyway, I finally was able to pinpoint the sound from just above the rear view mirror. I can wedge a couple fingers at the top of the window next to the headliner, feel it vibrate and slightly change the sound.
    See the metal strip on the parts diagram here, part number 1:

http://store.delorean.com/c-395-8-3-...oor-frame.aspx

There are six screws holding it in place and they are accessed by removing at least partially the weather striping that is covering them. Three screws on each side. The screw is number 4 in the parts diagram. You might also find the side ones are loose to some extent or the little tab on each side of the top piece is not sitting snug under the lip of the side ones.

You might also find your six screws are rusted out and not doing a lot of holding anything tight. If you get it apart (which is the same sort of parts that need to come out if you need to reseal a windshield leak) you can goop some 3M Window Weld type windshield adhesive in there to help keep it tight and secure. Don't go too overboard on the goop or the next guy to need to get in there isn't going to be thrilled.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast