FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: New carpet, soundproofing, and dynamat - any tips?

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    For the floors and that, whats the best method for sectioning the peices? seperate for the floor, center console, etc?
    First I cut out a template using regular paper (you can see the brown roll in the first picture) and used it to outline the shape on the FatMat with a marker, then I cut the FatMat. Also make sure the surfaces are completely clean.

It's simply a matter of getting creative with the shapes. Don't make them too large. You can always fill in with smaller patches if needed. The area behind radio was a little tricky to get to and to get all the wires out of the way and to make sure the fiberglass was clean. The round shapes of the rear wheel wells also took a little time but again, you have to get creative with slitting the material so it fits right.

interior1.jpginterior2.jpginterior3.jpginterior4.jpg
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Cool..yeah, I got paper still from my fascia painting.

What about material to put between the carpet and fatmat? Not sure where to get that.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Cool..yeah, I got paper still from my fascia painting.

What about material to put between the carpet and fatmat? Not sure where to get that.
    I didn't add any padding on the floor surfaces, other than what was attached to the bottom of the carpeting already. If you did it would make the fore-aft seat adjustments very difficult, for example. I did, however, add a ton of padding behind the vertical board of the parcel shelf and the firewall, as well as to the horizontal part of the parcel shelf. I had a bunch of sound-proofing butyl material from a different project that was able to use.
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

The stuff that was on my carpets was seriously past it and all crumbly and nasty, so I scraped it off.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

Henrik, did you notice a discernible road noise/sound difference inside the car after the Fatmat? I'm just trying to decide if the extra $$ and weight is worth it.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

In the process of putting it all in using the 70mil fatmat. The total package weight is only 25lbs so it's less than a passenger and the cost was good.
    Taking forever and my back is letting me know that I been doing things it wasnt made for...lol

Still debating on harvey's pads or finding something else...sadly a few of the insulation pads are NLA from DMC.

Any points to a resource would be great.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

So I was looking around for padding to glue to the floor carpets ( to replace the icky stuff I scraped off)...and ran across this...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/bonded-logi...?filterid=u0j1

Wondering if that would make a good replacement for the pad that were along the rear area? seems similar, other than the different outer material.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

We just replaced some carpet in a rental house and wondered if this stuff would work for padding under the carpet? Not worried about its sound deadening quality since I put fatmat all over anyway.

Padding.jpg
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Just something to consider when selecting padding, how flammable is it? In a confined space like an automobile cabin it is something to think about.
    David Teitelbaum

Its the same color as the stuff I scraped off the carpets...and I dont plan on using it on the firewall...hehe. Cant imagine its any more flammable than the carpets.

Just wondered if anyone thinks it would be decent to use.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7