FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: DMCH Reproduction Fiberglass Front Facia

My VIN:    16419

I am thinking of getting the fiberglass facia too for my car, but the guys here at the DMC in cali said that it is such a tight fit, if you ever need to replace your headlamps you have to remove the whole facia first. There is no room to get in there to unscrew the head lamps. Just wanted to get others opinions on it.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jfirios View Post
    I am thinking of getting the fiberglass facia too for my car, but the guys here at the DMC in cali said that it is such a tight fit, if you ever need to replace your headlamps you have to remove the whole facia first. There is no room to get in there to unscrew the head lamps. Just wanted to get others opinions on it.
    This is true. The Fiberglass is ridged but the fit is near perfect. The OEM urethane one flexes enough to access the bezel screws. The fiberglass does not flex. It is suggested you replace the Headlight bulbs with New or whatever flavor you like before the Facsia is installed. It reduces the likely hood you would need to replace one ever again given the typical minimal use of the headlights on a car that is not daily driven at night.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    03572

One guy suggested inverting the headlight buckets. Not sure if that would help in this case but it's worth a try.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    One guy suggested inverting the headlight buckets. Not sure if that would help in this case but it's worth a try.
    I believe it's been tried but did not work out.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I thought I remembered reading that the suggestion was to leave one or two of the more difficult headlight screws out completely.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    4087

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by jfirios View Post
    That would be far too inconvienient.

My urethane fascia was refurbed a few years ago, and reinforced with stainless strips. Its now as straight as an arrow, and I can still change a bulb without taking the whole fascia off!

My VIN:    16339

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

Very nice op.good job.the future is bright with dmch.

Has anyone had any problems with the fiberglass cracking after installation? Just wanted to know how these hold up to the elements and road debris.

My VIN:    10442

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Yes It's just the way the light is hitting the facia.

I'll see if I can find out. As I mentioned, they matched the color from the rear facia and what was left over from the old front one.

The guy who worked on it was very skilled. I had some fiberglass body damage that he also repaired. The shop I used was very eager to work on the car. They weren't afraid to take on the job. They were thrilled when I showed them where to get all the parts. I have to give a shout out to Toby at DMCNW. He coordinated everything with the body shop and Houston. He was extremely helpful throughout the process, and I'm glad he got credit for the sale.
    I think I may consider having my front fascia replaced next Spring with one of these new fiberglass parts, rather than trying to straighten out the eyebrows with reinforcement. Thanks for sharing your pics!

My VIN:    6585

Hmm.... Allow me to borrow a picture from another thread here (thanks in advance to Kenny_Z!).

Look at the area behind those buckets. There is a pretty decent amount of space there, and I think that we've got a couple of options here. However, both options would require you to abandon the Sealed Beam bulbs and convert your car over to Composite units, and the easiest one I can think of would just be this one:

Option 1

1. Pull front grille off to detach it.
    2. Reach into fascia, and behind High Beam Bucket to detach Bulb and Harness.
    3. Remove High Beam Composite housing from bucket.
    4. Reach through High Beam Bucket to remove/replace Low Beam Bulb.

There are other options, but they're allot more complicated.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast