FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need to Refuel slowly to avoid gas pump kick-back

My VIN:    6313

Need to Refuel slowly to avoid gas pump kick-back

When I fill my D with gas, I can't leave the pump to fill at full rate. If I don't meter the fuel in at a slow pace the pump will kick and interrupt the fuel flow (like when the tank is full). I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem before and what the solutions are?
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

this happens on my 2000 Jeep Wrangler if i stick the nozzle in all the way--"to the hilt," if you will. must be the angle of the filler neck or something. the solution is to pull the nozzle out about an inch, then it fills with no problems. not sure if it will help on a DeLorean with the different orientation of the filler neck, but it could be worth a try.

im sure actual DeLorean owners can provide more pertinent information.
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

My VIN:    966

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Try changing the angle you put the fuel into the car. Different stations often have a slightly different nozzle and they all behave differently. I have a grooved gas flap hood & I find it's easier to get a better angle if I pop the hood than trying to work through the flap.
    -Mike, Professional Geek, owner of VIN966

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    When I fill my D with gas, I can't leave the pump to fill at full rate. If I don't meter the fuel in at a slow pace the pump will kick and interrupt the fuel flow (like when the tank is full). I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem before and what the solutions are?
    Yes this behavior is rather common with DeLoreans. What I do is just set the filler at the first stop and deal with the slightly slower refill time.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    7075

I have the same. If I fill the car and the fuel comes from the front of the car, it is better. I mean the nozzle is looking towards the windscreen.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Yes this behavior is rather common with DeLoreans. What I do is just set the filler at the first stop and deal with the slightly slower refill time.
    And it's actually nice as you get to chat with the guy asking what happened to the white lines on the road, or about the flux capacitor even that much longer.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    4534

Just be thankful that it does kick off and doesn't fill your trunk with fuel. Yes, I was not paying attention.

Fill problems are common with all older cars. If I don't pay attention to the Mustang she'll fill and then pour down the paint and bumper. Even my Astro give me trouble sometimes and she's an 89.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    And it's actually nice as you get to chat with the guy asking what happened to the white lines on the road, or about the flux capacitor even that much longer.
    Ha ha ha it's like you read my mind.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    Ha ha ha it's like you read my mind.
    I'm good like that
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It also matters how you place the nozzle into the car. If you rotate it so it points upwards it will seem to handle the fuel better. I also set it on the 1st notch and fill slowly. It goes quick enough, it is only a 12 gallon tank and fills faster on slow than my Tahoe on fast (much bigger fuel tank). By going slower you can also fill it fuller. Be aware on many Deloreans if you fill it to full you get a fuel odor. This is NOT normal and can be fixed. usually because the fuel pump is not installed properly, the rubber boots are deteriorated, or the sending unit is not sealed up well.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast