Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Delorean in Kansas City with 351 and Pantera trans.

My VIN:    6635

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Cool - the window sticker shows this car was originally from Shepard Chevrolet in Lake Bluff, IL.

As I understand it, Shepard sold and serviced Ds for quite a few years. Sadly, Shepard just sold out and closed at the end of 2011. I have a pic of my D by there from a few years ago. Had posted it on .com under the dealership thread - need to repost. I also see on this site that Rich W sourced some limo parts from Shepard.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    05429

Quote Originally Posted by vin6635 View Post
    Cool - the window sticker shows this car was originally from Shepard Chevrolet in Lake Bluff, IL.
    That car was built up in Schaumburg IL. The guys who did the work are still around (not in that business) and we had some fun discussions about it last year.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    dswingle@DeLorean.com

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    The car has 1911 original miles from the factory, it had about 900 miles when the conversion was finished.
    The real question should be what was the mileage when the speedo was replaced or modified? Stock is 85 mph. I saw a buyer with a 600 mile car, but didnt have the heart to tell him the speedo was replaced with a 160, bringing question to actual mileage. That and his frame had well over 600 miles....
    Soundkillr was here.

Yeah that under side looks like a bit more "weathered" than a car stored inside all it's life with less than 2k miles on it.

Also If I were selling a car worth 50k, I think I would have it detailed first, but I would at least wash that filthy layer of dust off before taking pics.

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

$50k for that thing? I hope it also comes with the Pantera!
    Hell, at least detail it.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    50k may sound steep...but try and find another, better yet try and build this one of a kind today with this much workmanship. Oh and start with a car with 1900 original miles. You can't do it for this price! Even the dash panel was professionally redone. No corners were cut on this car.
    If anyone wants a car with an LS1 V8 installed for $49,000 I know where you can find one. I'll gladly take the money and start a new project with an LS9

Personally, unless it's a concourse car, I think "original miles" doesn't mean anything; especially if the car doesn't have the original engine or transmission. All that really means to me is that the wheel bearings have only spun for 2000 miles and everything else on the car is still 30 years old. I dont have the original engine, transmission, shocks, springs, wheel bearings, radiator, a single original hose, and more. The fact that my odometer says 67,000 means crap to me; the only ones that car are the DMV.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 07-05-2012 at 05:33 PM.

"Pantera" DeLorean Surfaces Again

Looks this this one has surfaced again. This popped up on the old DML in 1996, and has been mentioned here a couple of times. I know more about it than ever as this time the current owner called me about it. Another interesting factoid is that one of the original builders is now the head of the automotive education department at our local junior college. He was able to fill in quite a bit of the story as well.

For the record, here's an updated history on the car.

It was built in Schaumburg Illinois in late 1984/early 1985 on a near-zero-mile 1983 DeLorean VIN16872. It appears to be one of the "two tone interior" cars with black leather and light grey carpeting. The proprietor of the shop was none other than "Lance" (sorry, no last name available) who originally helped Tamir (DMC Talk site owner for the unfamiliar) get his car going back in the late 90's. The instructor I know is named Mike. I first met up with Mike when we were looking for shop assistants from the local college. He mentioned that "I worked on a crazy hot rod DeLorean back when I was a kid, and I always wondered what happened to it". We compared stories and figured out it was the same car. But neither of us had any leads on its whereabouts at the time.

A few weeks ago I was contacted by the current owner, who is the same guy who picked it up from the shop in 1985 (more on that . . .). I mentioned to him that I was aware of the car, and that I happened to know one of the builders who had been anxious to connect with it again. Between the two of them, I've been able to fill in some of the blanks regarding the stories I'd heard over the years.

The car was contracted as a "make me a fast DeLorean" project. The "Pantera" name is a bit of a misnomer as only the transaxle is apparently out of a Pantera. The engine is a modified (for the day) Ford 351 Cleveland. Supposedly somewhere in the neighborhood of 350HP, at least that was the design target. Lance's shop did the drivetrain conversion, and when completed the (lack of) brakes scared them so much they modified the front suspension to use Chevy Monza vented disc brakes on Monza knuckles. Note the spindles sticking out through the front wheel centers. Looking at the photos you can also see a second front sway bar installed over the original. I suspect the sway bar bushings would have a pretty short life in this application!

Concurrent with the completion of the car, the owner who contracted the build happened to end up on the wrong side of the law and in jail. He got connected with the current owner, who paid him "a few bucks" and also paid off the bill at Lance's shop. He took posession of the car at the shop and hauled it off to his collection in Kansas City, where it still sits today. He swears it still runs and drives but I'm sure there are all the typical low mile original DeLorean issues. Not to mention the original tires. It's probably going to be like a typical barn find delorean in that in would need all the major systems cleaned up again.

I'm posting a couple of sets of photos here. The ones with "2012" in the name I had picked up somewhere, sorry if that imposes on anyone. I suspect I pulled them out of the ebay ad. Some of them were posted in this thread in 2012. The ones with "2015" in the name are the ones the owner sent me. The original poster in this thread is long gone, he appears to have joined the list to try and sell this car on ebay for the owner. Some interesting build details.

If there is any current interest in the car please contact me and I can reach out to the owner. He is still trying to sell it, and still wants a pretty tidy sum for it. Might be interesting to someone who is into Fords and carburetors.

2012:

pan_dmc 2012 (1).jpgpan_dmc 2012 (6).jpgpan_dmc 2012 (7).jpgpan_dmc 2012 (10).jpgpan_dmc 2012 (12).jpgpan_dmc 2012 (13).jpgpan_dmc 2012 (14).jpgpan_dmc 2012 (16).jpgpan_dmc 2012 (17).jpgpan_dmc 2012 (18).jpgpan_dmc 2012 (19).jpgpan_dmc 2012 (20).jpgpan_dmc 2012 (21).jpgpan_dmc 2012 (23).jpgpan_dmc 2012 (24).jpg

2015:
    pan_dmc2015 (1).jpgpan_dmc2015 (2).jpgpan_dmc2015 (5).jpgpan_dmc2015 (7).jpgpan_dmc2015 (8).jpgpan_dmc2015 (9).jpgpan_dmc2015 (10).jpgpan_dmc2015 (11).jpgpan_dmc2015 (12).jpgpan_dmc2015 (13).jpgpan_dmc2015 (14).jpgpan_dmc2015 (15).jpgpan_dmc2015 (16).jpgpan_dmc2015 (17).jpgpan_dmc2015 (19).jpgpan_dmc2015 (20).jpgpan_dmc2015 (21).jpgpan_dmc2015 (22).jpgpan_dmc2015 (23).jpgpan_dmc2015 (27).jpg
    Dave S
    dswingle@DeLorean.com

Delorean Guru

My VIN:    10757

Club(s):   (DMA)

Very interesting but in my experience, when you see a very modified car, and it hasn't accumulated many miles, it usually means it doesn't drive very well. Rarely do you see a well done swap and it works as well or better than what it was originally. On top of that it is very difficult to properly maintain such a car because it is never well documented. For example what part is the fuel pump or what is it from, and the air filter, oil filter, belts, etc. There is no wiring diagram or vacuum diagram. In some States you will never pass inspection. When is a Delorean no longer a Delorean? It will take a special kind of owner to want this one. Preferably one that is handy and can do a lot of his own work.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Wow; now that is an interesting exhaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Wow; now that is an interesting exhaust!
    Yeah- I'll bet it's insane with the cutouts open.
    Dave S
    dswingle@DeLorean.com

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast