FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Swapping the stereo and airvents the other way around (maintaining stock operation)

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

very clever design with the slave flap piggybacked on the original flap.

looks amazing, bravo!
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

My VIN:    01955

Quote Originally Posted by dvonk View Post
    looks amazing, bravo!
    +1! Awesome conversion!

My VIN:    05255

Quote Originally Posted by john 05141 View Post
    Great work! You did this with great finesse and attention to detail. Looks factory made, that is the idea.
    Does the airflow have any effect? Do you consider this a hard job to do?

John
    Cheers John. The original rubber sock/boots are put on to point up instead of down as they are slightly angled and they direct the airflow as well as before. The vents are lower than before but the vents allow you to still aim the air directly to where you want it to go.

The difficult part was making the pivot work correctly so that the slave arm would pull the flap all the way up. It took three tweaks in the design to reach the optimum result I was looking for. The job that took the most work/hours was the cutting of the aluminium to shape. All worth it though for the long term benefits

well done!

looks good.

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

That looks very nice. I've wanted to switch my radio and vent to but never plunged into the project. Let me know if you come to Houston.

My VIN:    6934 @ 6201

Club(s):   (DMA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

That's Awsome!!! I've always considered doing that it would make sense for a screen.

My VIN:    05255

http://dmctalk.org/archive/index.php/t-2979.html?

http://ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-07-PAFallTech.htm

Photobucket is trying to hold me ransom, so I'm re-hosting the images and video published in 2012 to elsewhere to make them available again.

The above was what I could find prior to my conversion done in 2012 as per above but no one to date had shown how to tackle the operation of each ventilation mode to work like stock. The below is how I went about it.

In 2006 I fitted a flip up head unit so the stock setup results in ambient airflow once the screen is open.

When the orifice tube broke up inside my evaporator core this became the catalyst for the conversion.

Side on when measured you can see how tight swapping them around will be (around 5mm of tolerance if I recall)

You don’t have to remove the entire airbox from the car just the part below:-

The green flap has two functions. In the down position it stops the air from coming through the centre vents and allows airflow up to the windscreen

And in the other position

I re-modelled the airbox

I did not want any loss of functionality so the solution was to create a ‘slave’ ventilation door which would be located where the original door was have it driven by an arm to the actuator as before

The pivot arm can be seen in action below:-

>>> movie clip showing the pivot arm in action - click image below <<<

>>> movie clip showing the pivot arm in action - click image above <<<

Swapping the stereo and the vents around requires a new piece of aluminium (old piece from an old PC was ideal)

Sourced vinyl from my local trimmer which is an exact match (I have spare if anyone needs some)

End result

I'm really pleased with the end result as it is a subtle mod that most people won't even notice, but makes all the difference on a hot day [/QUOTE]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2