FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Average mileage on a tank of gas

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Average mileage on a tank of gas

How many miles do you normally get on one tank of gas in the following situations:

1. City only?
    2. Highway only?
    3. A mix of city and highway?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

Edit: Sorry, you were asking for miles, my numbers below are mpgs. The most I've let myself see has been 230 miles on the odometer, could have probably done more, but at a reading of 220 miles on highway driving, I typically start looking for a gas station. Based on mpgs below, you can calculate miles based on approximately a 10 gallon tank - but you'd be slurping from the bottom of the tank by then.

My experience:
    1. 17-19 mpgs ...depending on how much fun i want to have, or had, driving OR traffic.
    2. 27 mpg ..steady 65mph cruise for several hours
    3. low 20 mpgs

This all assumes, in my case, spec idle, spec A/F mix, good plugs/rotor/cables/coil/injectors, and my car is standard tranny.
    Last edited by Ozzie; 06-18-2011 at 10:27 PM.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

With my D I do a good mix of city and highway. From full to empty it's pretty consistent at about 250 miles.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    04915

About 250 miles on a tank for me, too.
    I seem to get about 25 MPG no matter how I drive ... within reason....
    Jack Skeens

My VIN:    03572

City driving makes a big difference where you live. Highway expect high 20s for a 5 speed and low to mid 20s for an auto.

It also depends how low you let it get. Driving in the mountains I would fill it at 1/4.

I have only let the low fill light come on once.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I was able to achieve 30.25 all highway driving on the flat I-70 highway from Columbus to Dayton, OH...this even with performance camshafts! I also did not have the A/C on.

On the way back I got around 27 highway with the A/C running...

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Thanks folks.

I'm running this tank down to the bitter end to see what I get. I dont think my Lambda system is working properly.
    Attached Images
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

My mileage is going to be a little different since I am carbureted but I estimate that I got 27 mpg last night on the highway cruising around 70 mph. This is with a manual transmission and with the AC running.

The reason it is estimated is because my speedometer is off and needs to be re magnatized. My speedometer said I drove 96 miles and Google Maps said 107 miles.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

250 is a good rule-of-thumb and is what I use when planning. Depending on the type of driving it can be stretched to 300 but remember that the automatics get slightly less. And if you have any non-original things attached or have a lot of stuff on the luggage rack the range will be less. 300 miles divided by 12 gallons = 25 MPG. If the car is not in good tune the mileage can be significantly less. 250 miles at 50 miles per hour is 5 hours. By then most people will want to have a pit stop. If not for gas then for other things. Especially if you have a female passenger. The gas tank is supposed to hold 12.5 gallons. Now, if you are driving the Delorean with 2 motors you will be stopping a lot more often!!!!
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    16867

I keep wondering why the constant reference to "10 gallon" tank. My tank, and yours - I might add - holds 13.2 gallons. At an easily achievable 24/25 mpg on the highway, that means a range of 300+ miles. I do understand using 250 miles for a safe cut off point, but driven reasonably*, you can stretch that to 300 miles. I have done that on more than one occasion.

Dick

*I drive a twin turbo D and that is the mpg I get on the highway at a constant 70 mph.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast