FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sticky throttle!

My VIN:    11596

Sticky throttle!

Hey all, Just wrapping up the restoration of 11114. One problem I haven't spent much time on yet is a sticky throttle. If you drive gently and slowly let off the gas with the clutch in, such as when coasting to a stop, most of the time the throttle gets stuck at around 1300 rpm. If you tap the gas it drops back down to idle. I've had it stuck, then I get out, open the engine bay, and the spool is about 3 mm away from the stop. I can then barely turn the throttle back to the stop and it idles fine.

I have slackened the throttle cable so i know that's not hanging up. I have totally disassembled the spool and cleaned and greased it. Greased the linkage ends. Turned the return spring to the tighter notch. Anyone know what the problem is? I'm sure I'll figure it out when I look at it again tonight but just thought I'd throw the question out there in case the solution is not so obvious.

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    03572

Pull the clamp that holds the cable on the valve cover. Mine had worn through the cover on the cable and made the metal cable sheath rust.

But sticking throttle is a common problem. You may want to get the lower pressure idle switch John sells and up the spring pressure on the throttle spool.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Remove the inner cable, spray with brake cleaner and wipe off with towel. Place towel in floorboard and shoot the cleaner through the outer cable so it comes to the footwell and onto the towel. Reinstall and it should work better, especially if you see all kinds on gunk and buildup on the inner cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    Remove the inner cable, spray with brake cleaner and wipe off with towel. Place towel in floorboard and shoot the cleaner through the outer cable so it comes to the footwell and onto the towel. Reinstall and it should work better, especially if you see all kinds on gunk and buildup on the inner cable.
    Nice. Maybe some silicone spray afterwards. Or liquid graphite?

Andy
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Nice. Maybe some silicone spray afterwards. Or liquid graphite?

Andy
    I wouldn't see anything wrong with a little silicone spray afterwards. If VIN 11114 had the throttle "updates" as recommended by the factory that included the antifreeze mixture being put in the throttle cable, then this is likely what is causing some issues. I don't think the factory thought about what 30 years of antifreeze in a cable sheath would do eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    I wouldn't see anything wrong with a little silicone spray afterwards. If VIN 11114 had the throttle "updates" as recommended by the factory that included the antifreeze mixture being put in the throttle cable, then this is likely what is causing some issues. I don't think the factory thought about what 30 years of antifreeze in a cable sheath would do eventually.
    Yes it had the recall done, but during the engine work I removed the plastic nipple and the black throttle shield because I think it looks tacky. I'm sure you are right.

Andy
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I would relubricate the throttle cable with anti-freeze as per the recall. The way I do it is to disconnect the inner and outer cables, slide a hose over the outer cable and secure with a hose clamp. Fill the hose with anti-freeze and then attach a hose connected to compressed air to shoot the anti-freeze in till I see it by the pedal. Keep a rag on the carpet to absorb the anti-freeze that comes out. Your main problem though is not this. It is looseness (play) in the rod ends of the quadrant link between the throttle spool and the throttle arm. Lengthen it. It works like a turnbuckle with left hand and right hand threads. You should also put some oil on the rod ends. You can also lubricate the throttle shaft.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Yes it had the recall done, but during the engine work I removed the plastic nipple and the black throttle shield because I think it looks tacky. I'm sure you are right.

Andy

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Your problem most likely likes at the actual throttle plate pivot point. The metal rod that contains the two adjustment screws for your micro switch and ball stud is attached to a brass component. Check to see if you have any slop at this point. There is a steel 13mm lock nut that attaches on the brass threads. If this is slightly loose you can see a throttle rpm pop up issue. Tightening the nut will only make it worse.
    Last edited by Delorean Industries; 07-05-2012 at 04:14 PM.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I would relubricate the throttle cable with anti-freeze as per the recall.
    I really don't get this. Have you seen what anti-freeze looks like sitting in air for just a few weeks? Not something I really want on my throttle cable.

I have no idea what the factory guys were thinking here, other than it is better than plain water in the middle of winter when the customer comes in what a frozen cabler, and they were not worried about what happened a few years out.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    I really don't get this. Have you seen what anti-freeze looks like sitting in air for just a few weeks? Not something I really want on my throttle cable.

I have no idea what the factory guys were thinking here, other than it is better than plain water in the middle of winter when the customer comes in what a frozen cabler, and they were not worried about what happened a few years out.
    Agreed. I tend to leave that part out....
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast