FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Delorean Back From The Dead

My VIN:    10099

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Delorean Back From The Dead

I drove my DeLorean, has to have been at least 15 years since it was last driven. Not many issues but one big problem was the brakes need to be slammed all the way down to work. I checked the hydraulic fluid and there seems to be plenty in there, the mechanic checked all the brakes and they were good. Is there something simple I can do to fix this problem?

Also the AC needs to be recharged, I was planning on using Freeze 12 and avoid the AC conversion. Have any of you used this refrigerant before?

The doors need a major overhaul, the electric lock makes it almost impossible to unlock the car doors. Also the power windows don't work, I believe I hear a click from the power window when I close the circuit. I am thinking it needs to be lubed up or possibly take a power supply and send power directly to it?

Any Thoughts?

Damn misleading thread title!! I thought this was about John Z DeLorean comming back as a zombie!!

No really, that's awesome man!! As a temporary fix you can turn your automatic door locks into manual by disconnecting this little red wire in the fuse box area. Lemme know if you need a picture.
    Last edited by thirdmanj; 07-06-2012 at 04:42 PM.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

yea I definitely expected a restoration thread, lol.

Did your mechanic actually bleed the brakes or just look at them? Most brake inspections by mechanics are "visual inspections" meaning they just look at them. If bleeding them doesn't work you may need a new master cylinder.

If the windows dont work and you're hearing a click, you probably need new window motors. Power is getting to them, just nothing is happening.

I've never heard good things about freeze 12. Any reason why not to use R-12? It's not as though it isn't available at all.

My VIN:    06960

What about your fuel system?!? Please say that its been drained, flushed, and filled with fresh gas! 15 years is just too long.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    yea I definitely expected a restoration thread, lol.

Did your mechanic actually bleed the brakes or just look at them? Most brake inspections by mechanics are "visual inspections" meaning they just look at them. If bleeding them doesn't work you may need a new master cylinder.

If the windows dont work and you're hearing a click, you probably need new window motors. Power is getting to them, just nothing is happening.

I've never heard good things about freeze 12. Any reason why not to use R-12? It's not as though it isn't available at all.
    I don't know if they actually bled the braking system, I know they replaced some of the calipers and at the moment the parking brake doesn't work.

I suspected that I need new motors but I was hoping it might be something electrical for a quick fix, driving around in a car with windows that can't come down and no AC during the summer kinda sucks.

I heard mixed reviews on freeze 12 but the majority found it worked good, I am trying to hunt down an AC repair place that does the R-12 that I can trust. No way I'm taking it to meineke, and I would be surprised if they do R-12.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    What about your fuel system?!? Please say that its been drained, flushed, and filled with fresh gas! 15 years is just too long.
    The entire fuel system was rebuilt and the old gas was dumped. The only thing that wasn't replaced was the tank. One of the prior owners was an idiot and used radiator hose in the gas line. The hose turned into jelly and as soon as it was taken out it turned rock hard.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    Damn misleading thread title!! I thought this was about John Z DeLorean comming back as a zombie!!

No really, that's awesome man!! As a temporary fix you can turn your automatic door locks into manual by disconnecting this little red wire in the fuse box area. Lemme know if you need a picture.
    Thanks Man!

I have the shop manual but that sounds simple enough, if you do have a picture handy that definitely wouldn't hurt

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

[QUOTE=Nicholas R;63810]Did your mechanic actually bleed the brakes or just look at them? Most brake inspections by mechanics are "visual inspections" meaning they just look at them. If bleeding them doesn't work you may need a new master cylinder.
    QUOTE]

Mechanics are not used to inspecting brakes that have not moved in 15 years. You have a combination of stuck pistons and plugged rubber lines. No quick fix, do it right. This is your brakes.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Although I will not mention things that need to be gone over and checked before putting a car sitting 15 yrs. back in service, I can say that freeze 12 has always done exceptional in my cars. I had a '89 Accord as a D.D. that I used Freeze 12 in and the AC worked perfectly(38 degrees on a hot day). It is in my Delorean right now and has always done just fine. Its a great drop in replacement and I would go that route before changing over to 134....although my guess is that it will not stay in there long, your AC seals are most likely shot.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

[QUOTE=DMCMW Dave;63817]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    QUOTE]

Mechanics are not used to inspecting brakes that have not moved in 15 years. You have a combination of stuck pistons and plugged rubber lines. No quick fix, do it right. This is your brakes.
    When I bring it back on Monday I'll ask him to look more into it and check out the pistons, lines, master cylinder, etc. Thanks for the advice!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast