FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Illuminated Ashtray Audio/iPhone Panel **Split from Matt's Graphic Overlay Projects**

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Illuminated Ashtray Audio/iPhone Panel **Split from Matt's Graphic Overlay Projects**

I had a couple requests to post this as a separate thread from "Matt's Graphic Overlay Projects" with more detail so here you go. This is the illuminated ashtray audio/iPhone/USB panel that now pairs with my new Parrot stereo. The process was pretty simple once I figured out a plan - just took time. I ordered an NOS ashtray from DMCMW, took it apart, and came up with the design to best compliment the car. The ashtray "bin" actually has indentations in the part you normally don't see (so I flipped the opening around so the cigarette snuffer is covered) where a thin, but very sturdy sheet of Lexan plastic rests perfectly when cut exact to fit. I then ordered a panel mount 1/8 inch audio jack and a panel mount double USB jack (had to do some tampering so it could pop through the Lexan. I then designed the graphic overlay and used that as a template to cut the Lexan to firmly hold the USB and audio jack mounts. I had to cut a section of the bottom of the ashtray in order for the USB mount to fit inside. I then took everything apart again and started to permanently assemble everything. I started with some super bright LED ribbon and placed it directly under the sections I wanted to illuminate - glueing it down to the bottom of the ashtray. Next I used "Steel Stick" to mount the Lexan panel followed by the USB mount using the putty as well. Then came the graphic overlay (a whole project in itself) affixed to the Lexan panel with a light spray of glue. Next came the 1/8 jack that popped into place. As you can see from the pictures, I used more Steel Putty to enclose and stabilize all of the wires (everything was soldered inside for long life) and mounts. To make it so I can take the unit in and out easily, all wires use snap connectors I got from Radio Shack. I used a few resistors to get the LEDs to the light level I wanted and then hooked the power into the shifter marker light. I snapped the top of the ashtray back on and voila! When shut, it appears stock. Works perfectly and should be there to stand abuse for the next 20 years.

photo-1.jpg
    Photo1-2.jpg
    Photo1-1.jpg
    Photo1.jpg
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

That is an absolutely brilliant idea!

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Fan...wait for it .... Tastic !

Even open, it looks OEM,
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Very nice indeed.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    3944

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Fan...wait for it .... Tastic !

Even open, it looks OEM,
    Agreed! Very professional! Where do you intend to cradle your iPhone?

I thought about trying to incorporate something into my ashtray as well, but i am not experienced in these sorts of things.
    David, Companion of 3944: 1981, Stage II engine, manual transmission, black interior, lined hood with no gas flap.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Wow, this is definitely one of the coolest mod's I've seen!

Quote Originally Posted by David_NYS View Post
    Agreed! Very professional! Where do you intend to cradle your iPhone?

I thought about trying to incorporate something into my ashtray as well, but i am not experienced in these sorts of things.
    Many thanks! I'm personally not a huge fan of the cradle (especially what DMCH did on the EV - why would you put it there only to block the A/C controls?). The cradles I have seen look a bit clumsy in the ashtray spot as well and also wanted to include a USB and audio port. I designed this so you just plug your iPhone in with USB and easily keep it in the console tray. The Parrot allows you to operate the iPhone on its own screen so no need to even touch the iPhone when plugged in. Just my preference

My VIN:    3944

Quote Originally Posted by kajcienski View Post
    I designed this so you just plug your iPhone in with USB and easily keep it in the console tray. The Parrot allows you to operate the iPhone on its own screen so no need to even touch the iPhone when plugged in. Just my preference
    Ooo! I see! I hadn't thought about that. I suppose it actually forces you to be safer as well!

Not to derail the thread, but do you find any of the features on the Parrot useful? How about the navigation?
    David, Companion of 3944: 1981, Stage II engine, manual transmission, black interior, lined hood with no gas flap.

Quote Originally Posted by David_NYS View Post
    Ooo! I see! I hadn't thought about that. I suppose it actually forces you to be safer as well!

Not to derail the thread, but do you find any of the features on the Parrot useful? How about the navigation?
    I actually have not been able to dive too far into the Parrot yet (will give my two cents in the stereo thread once I have time and know more). I WILL say that (contrary to some comments) I find it very intuitive and easy to operate. It syncs up right to the iPhone and displays all songs/podcasts and such with album art. The navigation is very basic and no match for my Tom-Tom, but useful as a guide. I would check out their site to see all it can do - pretty cool when tethered to the iPhone.

Master Fabricator protodelorean's Avatar

My VIN:    02650

Club(s):   (DMA)

That looks great. Nice work!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast