FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: LEDs for the car.

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

LEDs for the car.

Anyone got the old info on LEDs replacements?
    I am particularly interested to know if anyone has a good cross reference for the front parking lights.

SuperBrightLEDs is the vendor recommended in the past as a good source of LEDs for our car.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

here is a thread on Cheap/basic LED interior lights... it could have some pertinent info.

My VIN:    03572

I'm happy with the LEDs I got off Ebay for the front parking lights (signals and park). There was no brand name with those LEDs but they had 18 LEDs. Three facing front and 5 rows of 3 facing sideways (angled slightly to the back). Of course you want the amber LEDs. I think the dual intensity are 1157 type bulbs.

The same types but RED and (1156) also work good for the 4 brake lights.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I'm happy with the LEDs I got off Ebay for the front parking lights (signals and park). There was no brand name with those LEDs but they had 18 LEDs. Three facing front and 5 rows of 3 facing sideways (angled slightly to the back). Of course you want the amber LEDs. I think the dual intensity are 1157 type bulbs.

The same types but RED and (1156) also work good for the 4 brake lights.
    Any possibility you could post a picture or a eBay link with a picture of these lights? I want to drop the cash; I'd just hate to accidentally get the wrong kind of LED. Thank you, sir!
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    Any possibility you could post a picture or a eBay link with a picture of these lights? I want to drop the cash; I'd just hate to accidentally get the wrong kind of LED. Thank you, sir!
    I'm pretty sure these are the ones I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1157-...Q5fAccessories

They are a lot cheaper now because every one is offering more LEDs in the bulbs now. You may get better results with those higher count ones but I can not comment on those. I think the angle back of the side facing LEDs may help but the total hight is also important. If the bulb is to high then everything changes in reflector housings.
    Dave M vin 03572

I'm pretty sure these are the ones I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1157-...Q5fAccessories

They are a lot cheaper now because every one is offering more LEDs in the bulbs now. You may get better results with those higher count ones but I can not comment on those. I think the angle back of the side facing LEDs may help but the total hight is also important. If the bulb is to high then everything changes in reflector housings.

Thanks Dave, that's what I was looking for. If they worked for you then they'll be fine for me. With these, my car will be 100% LEDs (interior, tail, sides, doors) on the first headlight switch position (parking lights). I imagine the overall resulting current draw will be significantly different now, and it will probably be ok to even leave all of them on at a night time car show, with a well charged battery.

Once I get these, I'll test that in my garage first, taking voltage reading every hour or so.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Thanks Dave, that's what I was looking for. If they worked for you then they'll be fine for me. With these, my car will be 100% LEDs (interior, tail, sides, doors) on the first headlight switch position (parking lights). I imagine the overall resulting current draw will be significantly different now, and it will probably be ok to even leave all of them on at a night time car show, with a well charged battery.

Once I get these, I'll test that in my garage first, taking voltage reading every hour or so.
    I think the low power selected for the 1157 was less than 100 ma. You still need to find something for the rear "park lights". I built three strings of 4 LEDs for my rear park lights.
    Dave M vin 03572

I think the low power selected for the 1157 was less than 100 ma. You still need to find something for the rear "park lights". I built three strings of 4 LEDs for my rear park lights.
    Actually, now that you say that. I did replace my brake lights to LEDs only, not the rear parking lights. Won't one of those bright 1156 LED (red) equivalents work?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Actually, now that you say that. I did replace my brake lights to LEDs only, not the rear parking lights. Won't one of those bright 1156 LED (red) equivalents work?
    I think the socket is the same as an 1156 but there is no reflector. You need the light dispersed over a very wide area. Hence, why I built my own.
    Attached Images
    Dave M vin 03572

Oh, I see.

I think I'll try one of their 39 light LEDs and see how it looks.
    I really don't do a lot of night driving anyway, so hopefully it will fit and be fine (at 6 bucks for a pair, it's worth a try).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast