FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: LEDs for the car.

My VIN:    ex-01678

Led's for the car

DSC01582.jpgDSC01584.jpg

Ozzie,

In the old DMCTalk thread on LED's, I had mentioned adding some chrome mirror gloss silver vinyl to act as a reflector on the inside of the running lamp position. I did this in 2008 and have run LED's there since. I cannot prove it is better than before but it seems more uniform. I bought them cheaply in a few sheets from a UK seller. It is worth a try.

Jeff

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

Great tip Jeff. I'll see what I can find similar.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    2964

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I'm pretty sure these are the ones I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1157-...Q5fAccessories

They are a lot cheaper now because every one is offering more LEDs in the bulbs now. You may get better results with those higher count ones but I can not comment on those. I think the angle back of the side facing LEDs may help but the total hight is also important. If the bulb is to high then everything changes in reflector housings.
    Which is the exact device that has to be used on the LEDs for the front and rear blinkers?

Thank you!
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    Which is the exact device that has to be used on the LEDs for the front and rear blinkers?

Thank you!
    The front are the amber 1157.

I did not like the rear signals with LED replacement bulbs. I designed my own LED signals for the rear. But those would be the 1156 type bulb since they don't also do parking lights.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

What I meant was, there is supposed to be some sort of device that makes the LEDs blink. BEcuae I had bought for both my cars, they would light up but not blink, and I was told LEDs need some sort of device for that.

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

For this application, like the incandescent bulbs, in order to make them "blink" as in turn signal indicators, it's just done through an application of cycles of 0V, then 12V.

The taillight ambers are 1506, which blink on and off, by cycling voltage as per above.
    The front driving light ambers are 1507, which means they are dual energized to stay on and "blink" on a second input of cycled voltage.

What LEDs do not do w/o a separate device or electronics, is to dim. This is typically encountered when you replace interior dome incandescent dome lights with LEDs, the LED ones will not dim. However, for our cars, Dave (Bitsyncmaster) solved that with a replacement solid state LED/Incandescent dimming module.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    For this application, like the incandescent bulbs, in order to make them "blink" as in turn signal indicators, it's just done through an application of cycles of 0V, then 12V.

The taillight ambers are 1506, which blink on and off, by cycling voltage as per above.
    The front driving light ambers are 1507, which means they are dual energized to stay on and "blink" on a second input of cycled voltage.

What LEDs do not do w/o a separate device or electronics, is to dim. This is typically encountered when you replace interior dome incandescent dome lights with LEDs, the LED ones will not dim. However, for our cars, Dave (Bitsyncmaster) solved that with a replacement solid state LED/Incandescent dimming module.
    Huh?? English doc english!! haha lol!!

I don't think the LED turn singal bulbs will blink, I've tried them on 2 of my other cars. They just turn on and thats it, don't blink at all.

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    Huh?? English doc english!! haha lol!!
    Basically, Ozzie is saying that the lights turn on (12v) and off (0v). When they flash, it is like looking at a graph on a screen where 12v is represented as a "1" and 0v is represented as a "0". As the light turns on and off, the graph is similar to that of a heartbeat monitor as seen in hospitals, but rather than it being a triangular shape, it is a solid square. It looks like this:

Boy, I sure hope I interpreted that correctly D: ....
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

allow me to 'splain...

The LED is bright when the 12V is on - Yes

She is dark when the power goes away - Okay!

Now - the big question - why does power go away? Are tips of fingers pressing on handle and letting go? NO! It's blinkie blinkie thing under dash!

But blinkie blinkie thing needs a few amps of power running through it to make bi-metal temperature reactive arm to bend and then go flat again - and the LED's....

OH - OK then!

Big question then is what you need to make lights blink when LEDs don't eat enough power, right? Right!

You gotta take out the John Delorean Blinkie Blinkie and put in a Bill Gates Blinkie Blinkie! She digital! She don't care how many amps - she just Blinkie Blinkie and don't care (like my daughter when I say "take out garbage").

You need something like this http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...l/?Ns=Rank|Asc

but not so 'spensive.

Okay? OK!

My VIN:    03572

You will need to get a new flasher for the cars you install LEDs in for turn signals. It will say on the package that they work with LEDs. The original flasher will do what you found, turn on but not blink.

Any auto parts store has them. Cost about $10.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast