FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: LEDs for the car.

My VIN:    2964

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    You will need to get a new flasher for the cars you install LEDs in for turn signals. It will say on the package that they work with LEDs. The original flasher will do what you found, turn on but not blink.

Any auto parts store has them. Cost about $10.
    Thank you for the info!!
    So I found on ebay for $13, I'll checkout my local auto parts store as well. Where is the Deloreans mechanical flaher located? Is it just one unit or 2, 3??
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    Thank you for the info!!
    So I found on ebay for $13, I'll checkout my local auto parts store as well. Where is the Deloreans mechanical flaher located? Is it just one unit or 2, 3??
    There is just on under the drivers side knee pad. It works both the directional signals and the 4 way flashers. Take the old one into the store so you get the correct one. I think it's a 3 pin unit.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

EDIT: This is the standard part in our cars.

Location is #14 above.

Pic and diagrams above from delorean.com
    Last edited by Ozzie; 06-22-2011 at 08:38 PM.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Any auto parts store has them. Cost about $10.
    Hey Dave,

Sorry to ask such elementary-style questions; I'm just very careful with electrical stuff. You're saying nearly ANY auto part store will have a flasher relay? I'm a bit nervous about going to Auto Zone and telling them I need a "flasher relay" as I don't trust some of these guys behind the counter. Could you - or anyone else for that matter - please post a picture or a part number of a flasher relay we could use for installing LED's in our front and/or rear turn signals? I'm very interested in installing LEDS for these bulbs.

And on that note, what LEDS would we use for the front turn signals/marker lights? If memory serves me correctly, those are 1157 bulbs. What kind of LEDS support two filament needs like our front marker/turn signals? Thanks guys for any help!
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

If I may..
    Here's an example: http://www.topsellings.com/en/3-pin-...n&currency=USD

I think that is a wholesaler price/website, but the point is, that is the hazard relay suitable for LEDs, and has the correct pin configuration of the part in our cars (my previous post).
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    03572

I think I got mine at auto-zone. They were on the rack and you don't even have to ask for them. I'm almost positive if the number of pins is the same it will work (they have a standard design).

You should see two types with the three pins. One only for incandescent bulbs that indicate when a bulb has burned out by not flashing.

The other type does not indicate a burned out bulb and should say good with LEDs.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    3299

Wow, thanks guys for such fast responses! My bad ,Ozzie, with missing your previous post. I saw the standard DMCH picture, and I assumed it was a "non-LED" flasher.

I assume suppliers of LEDS carry a unit that is 1157 compatible? Sorry for all the "duh" questions. It's been a long long time (years) since I've done LEDs after posting the list for the whole car years ago. I'll try to update the list accordingly and get it back up so everyone can know what to use.

I know basically everything but the rear end lights of the car. A lot more people here have experience in that area than I do. I covered basically the entire interior and side marker lights - so if anyone has suggestions when I post the list for the LEDs I use, hey, by all means - let me know. I'm about to install lights in the running and brake lights for the rear of the car based on what everyone else is doing =D !
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    2964

Well the relay was easy to get to, because I have all the panels off the car! The only thing was it was hard to get off, which the bottom of the relay broke off. Then I had to gently pry it off with a screw driver, then the harness started to crack! SuckS!
    Last edited by 1batt4u; 06-25-2011 at 01:47 PM.
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Oh, I see.

I think I'll try one of their 39 light LEDs and see how it looks.
    I really don't do a lot of night driving anyway, so hopefully it will fit and be fine (at 6 bucks for a pair, it's worth a try).
    Have you already purchased this 39 LED unit?
    Is it not too "tall" for the space between circuit board fitting and lense?

If you got it installed, please post a pic of the illuminated tail light section, preferable one with both units (LED and non LED) as reference material.

Thanks,
    Welmoed.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

Quote Originally Posted by WelmoedJ View Post
    Have you already purchased this 39 LED unit?
    Is it not too "tall" for the space between circuit board fitting and lense?
    Yes, purchased, received, installed.
    Fits just fine. There's a lot of room in there, the 39 LED blub diameter and height are close to the incandescent 1506 bulb, so it went fit right in, the new bulb doesn't touch any surrounding surface.

Quote Originally Posted by WelmoedJ View Post
    If you got it installed, please post a pic of the illuminated tail light section, preferable one with both units (LED and non LED) as reference material.
    It's really tough to get good pictures of taillights. I checked it during the day (full sunlight) and from behind the car, you could see they were on, but not like overly bright (you wouldn't have them on anyway during the day). A few hours ago (night time) I went into the garage to try them out. I'm pleased, I think they do the job. Below is a the best picture that I could take, all LEDs at that point.

Also, I did not do anything to internally reflect the bulbs output (got lazy). The LED bulb has an array of LEDs on the sides, and at the flat tip, in trying to emulate the incandescent bulb's spread of light. Looking at the lit taillight at night, it doesn't really fill in the entire lens with the same amount of light, and there does seem to be a circular hot spot which is the flat end of the LED bulb, but it seems to do the job nicely. - it sorta kinda depends on your viewing angle (and that may have more to do with the multi-faceted red lens shape). Oh btw, the front amber ones are just as bright as the incandescent originals.

I'll write here further, if I get feedback otherwise while in use, but for now I'm happy with the results. I am curious as to what my standby draw is now (all LEDs now) with the first light switch click, I'll take some reading sometime this week.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast