FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "Black" Decal Project - VIN 500 **Split From Matt's Graphic Overlay Projects**

My VIN:    06960

This thread goes through all of the different designs of the HVAC decal. If you look at my post you'll see that is the version which was installed on most cars, and seems to the favorite of most people. Everyone has their preference though. The reason I think mine is the best, is because it is almost the only type which actually matches the typeface of the instrument cluster. There is also a version of mine that lacks the "HEAT" and "COOL" lettering.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1640
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    06960

And jumping strait to the good stuff, here are all 6 known decals, not in any particular order, except VIN 500.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?16...ll=1#post20511

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    I got confused, so I have sorted them into what I see as 6 different types, in what I assume is the chronological order, but am probably way off

Type 1: Original blacked out type

Type 2: Solid Font without “heat” & “Cool” text, non-outlined heater colors, semi-blacked out warning lights

Type 3: Solid Font with “heat” & “Cool” text, non-outlined heater colors, semi-blacked out warning lights

Type 4: Solid Font with “Heat” & “Cool” text, outlined heater colors, blacked out warning lights (current DMC offering)

Type 5: Outline Font with “Heat” & “Cool” text, outlined heater colors, blacked out warning lights

Type 6: Outline Font with “Heat” & “Cool” text, outlined heater colors, highlighted warning lights

Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    And jumping strait to the good stuff, here are all 6 known decals, not in any particular order, except VIN 500.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?16...ll=1#post20511
    Many thanks Jim! The type 2 looks the most pleasing to me (is that the fan favorite?) and would be the easiest to reproduce. I have a low-res scan of that one that I am using to re-create and then go blackout. If anyone can get a high-res scan of that to me, that would be amazing! Jim, would you be willing to get me a high-res scan of yours? What I will do is a blackout version of that one (possibly with some minor tweaks), and then an exact replica of the true blackout decal from VIN 500. Once that is done, if anyone wants a custom variation, it would be fairly easy to make it happen.
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by kajcienski View Post
    Many thanks Jim! The type 2 looks the most pleasing to me (is that the fan favorite?) and would be the easiest to reproduce. I have a low-res scan of that one that I am using to re-create and then go blackout. If anyone can get a high-res scan of that to me, that would be amazing! Jim, would you be willing to get me a high-res scan of yours? What I will do is a blackout version of that one (possibly with some minor tweaks), and then an exact replica of the true blackout decal from VIN 500. Once that is done, if anyone wants a custom variation, it would be fairly easy to make it happen.
    Matt - type 2 is a photo of my panel. In the thread that Jim linked to there was some talk of favorites. Universally it seemed like people preferred 2 and 3.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Matt - type 2 is a photo of my panel. In the thread that Jim linked to there was some talk of favorites. Universally it seemed like people preferred 2 and 3.
    I hate to even ask, but would you be willing to take a high res scan of your "type 2" panel? I might be able to do without it, but would be very helpful. I'm working on it now to see how it goes.

I found some pictures of my HVAC panel! I can't believe I didn't remember this before, but I took a few pictures of my shifter knob since it's one of the areas that at some point needs repair. Visible plainly in the background is the HVAC panel! Here's a couple pictures (click for full size):

From both angles, it's very obviously a textbook Type 3. So it looks like that mystery is solved! Now to get a closeup and a scan!
    Last edited by Shep; 07-14-2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Small grammatical change

The Reproduction Type 2 Decal Has Arrived!

Phew... Okay, I'm pretty proud of this. I just finished an "exact" copy of the "type 2" HVAC Graphic Overlay. Pictured below is just the top layer of the decal - I got anxious and wanted to just post what I had so far! I had to recreate the font based on original scans (so it is a perfect match) as well as all graphics and enriched colors. I couldn't imagine anyone could tell this apart from the original unless they looked very close at the modern printing method. I think it actually looks better than the original. While I am waiting to get a photo of VIN 500's decal, I'm going to go ahead and make this into a "blackout" decal for fun. I would be curious to send a few of you some samples of this type 2 (like a half decal) and get your feedback. If I ever went ahead and made reproductions of this type 2 version, I would want to be sure everyone was happy with it. If you feel this should be split into a new thread, just let me know. More to come in a few days and will hopefully have this backlit by then.

Here are pictures of the new reproduction decal:
    photo-9.jpg
    photo-10.jpg
    photo-11.jpg
    photo-12.jpg
    photo-13.jpg

NOTE: Attached is a compiled master file so you can see the pure text and graphics.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by kajcienski; 07-14-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Phew... Okay, I'm pretty proud of this. I just finished an "exact" copy of the "type 2" HVAC Graphic Overlay. Pictured below is just the top layer of the decal - I got anxious and wanted to just post what I had so far! I had to recreate the font based on original scans (so it is a perfect match) as well as all graphics and enriched colors. I couldn't imagine anyone could tell this apart from the original unless they looked very close at the modern printing method. I think it actually looks better than the original. While I am waiting to get a photo of VIN 500's decal, I'm going to go ahead and make this into a "blackout" decal for fun. I would be curious to send a few of you some samples of this type 2 (like a half decal) and get your feedback. If I ever went ahead and made reproductions of this type 2 version, I would want to be sure everyone was happy with it. If you feel this should be split into a new thread, just let me know. More to come in a few days and will hopefully have this backlit by then.

photo-9.jpg
    photo-10.jpg
    photo-11.jpg
    photo-12.jpg
    photo-13.jpg
    Damn you and your ridiculous talent. Yes, I will remove the panel from my car and scan it at work for you on Monday... that is, if you still want/need it!!
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Damn you and your ridiculous talent. Yes, I will remove the panel from my car and scan it at work for you on Monday... that is, if you still want/need it!!
    Hi Jon! Thanks man. I think I am good with the scan now. Was going to email you and let you know. This was tough but turned out amazing!

Hi Jon! Thanks man. I think I am good with the scan now. Was going to email you and let you know. This was tough but turned out amazing!
    It sure did. I'd be glad to compare a sample to my original one if you want, you know how to find me.
    Jon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast