FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hand brake light stays on when car is OFF

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Hand brake light stays on when car is OFF

When I turn the car off, the brake light in the dash stays very dimly lit if the hand brake is not engaged, but will go off if I pull on the hand brake. If I turn the key to the ON position, the light also goes off. The light also never comes on when the engine is running, but only when the key is in the off position and the hand brake is not engaged.

I just switched the lights in the binnacle to LEDs while I was in there to replace a burned out battery light, and this started happening after I put it all back together. Either this didn't happen with the incandescent bulb, or it didn't light up enough before for me to be able to see it. Any ideas?
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    When I turn the car off, the brake light in the dash stays very dimly lit if the hand brake is not engaged, but will go off if I pull on the hand brake. If I turn the key to the ON position, the light also goes off. The light also never comes on when the engine is running, but only when the key is in the off position and the hand brake is not engaged.

I just switched the lights in the binnacle to LEDs while I was in there to replace a burned out battery light, and this started happening after I put it all back together. Either this didn't happen with the incandescent bulb, or it didn't light up enough before for me to be able to see it. Any ideas?
    If you changed all of the bulbs out with LEDs, you need to put the incandescent bulb back in the BATT socket, in any case, so the alternator will work properly.

Did you really mean "never" - even when you pull the handle?
    Did you do anything else to it?
    Does the light go out if you pull fuse #5, #6 (Or other)?

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

My brake light in the dash has started to faintly glow. Bad connection somewhere? Fluid levels are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    If you changed all of the bulbs out with LEDs, you need to put the incandescent bulb back in the BATT socket, in any case, so the alternator will work properly.

Did you really mean "never" - even when you pull the handle?
    Did you do anything else to it?
    Does the light go out if you pull fuse #5, #6 (Or other)?
    I'll to to be more clear.

Brake light comes on full and bright when the car is either running or the key is to the ON position and the hand brake is engaged. This is what it's supposed to do.
    The light goes completely off if the key is to the OFF position and the handbrake IS engaged.
    The light is very dimply lit if the key is to the OFF position and the handbrake is NOT engaged. If I pull up slightly on the handbrake, the light immediately goes off.

All dashboard lights were replaced with LEDs except the battery light, but nothing else changed. I also replaced the broken trip reset shaft.

I have not done any troubleshooting beyond this.
    Jared L.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    I'll to to be more clear.

Brake light comes on full and bright when the car is either running or the key is to the ON position and the hand brake is engaged. This is what it's supposed to do.
    The light goes completely off if the key is to the OFF position and the handbrake IS engaged.
    The light is very dimply lit if the key is to the OFF position and the handbrake is NOT engaged. If I pull up slightly on the handbrake, the light immediately goes off.

All dashboard lights were replaced with LEDs except the battery light, but nothing else changed. I also replaced the broken trip reset shaft.

I have not done any troubleshooting beyond this.
    I have the same problem, after converting to LED in the binnacle as well. It's just that there is a tiny bit of connection being made at your handbrake switch that's allowing a minute amount of current to the LED, which is far more sensitive than the incandescent bulb. You might try taking the cover off your handbrake and cleaning the switch, and possibly adjusting it so it lies a little further away from the bracket/engages after more handle travel. I am usually able to correct mine by slightly sliding the handbrake cover forward a bit, but it tends to slide back.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    I have the same problem, after converting to LED in the binnacle as well. It's just that there is a tiny bit of connection being made at your handbrake switch that's allowing a minute amount of current to the LED, which is far more sensitive than the incandescent bulb. You might try taking the cover off your handbrake and cleaning the switch, and possibly adjusting it so it lies a little further away from the bracket/engages after more handle travel. I am usually able to correct mine by slightly sliding the handbrake cover forward a bit, but it tends to slide back.
    That sounds about right. I could have also bumped the cover out of position while I was removing/installing the driver's seat to remove the binnacle. I don't think I could have done this job for the first time with the seat still being in there since I'm 6 1/2 feet tall. I'll see if I can get it to go off after work tonight by playing with the switch/cover.
    Jared L.

There shouldn't be any power going to that bulb to be 'sensed more', with the key off.

I'd guess that where/however the power is getting to the bulb, it is weak and that pulling the handle grounds the circuit (as it is supposed to do), so the light goes out.

There are several diodes involved in the line that feeds that mess...one of them that is hot at all times could be leaking.
    The fuses and most anything with a bulb in it turned on, or open (eg door, hood, etc.) holds a clue here...so I'd turn off and close everything, try #5 and #6 at least, then operate or open the others one at a time to see if one changes things, before pulling it back out or dragging out the meter....

There shouldn't be any power going to that bulb to be 'sensed more', with the key off.

I'd guess that where/however the power is getting to the bulb, it is weak and that pulling the handle grounds the circuit (as it is supposed to do), so the light goes out.

There are several diodes involved in the line that feeds that mess...one of them that is hot at all times could be leaking.
    The fuses and most anything with a bulb in it turned on, or open (eg door, hood, etc.) holds a clue here...so I'd turn off and close everything, try #5 and #6 at least, then operate or open the others one at a time to see if one changes things, before pulling it back out or dragging out the meter....
    Ron - you're absolutely correct! I missed his bullet point of "The light is very dimply lit if the key is to the OFF position and the handbrake is NOT engaged. If I pull up slightly on the handbrake, the light immediately goes off."

I do NOT have that problem. If the key is off, there should be no power to that circuit. My occasional dim light is only when the car is on.
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    If the key is off, there should be no power to that circuit. My occasional dim light is only when the car is on.
    Yeah dirty switch...maybe the one in the fluid resivoir....

Yeah dirty switch...maybe the one in the fluid resivoir....
    Nah I know mine's the handbrake, I can turn it off by fiddling with the handle. I need to get in there again and glue the rubber cover back down (it slides around) and properly position the carpet cover (it's not screwed in place for some reason) and adjust the switch. OP's issue is definitely more sinister.
    Jon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast