FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: List of Grounds

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

List of Grounds

At one point I had started a thread on a list of grounds. I thin it was under the old forum before it crashed. From the feedback on the old thread I have a list that perhaps is useful. The list may not be complete but for those wanting to clean the grounds on your car this might be useful.

List of Grounds
    1. Right side of the radio / A/C metal bracket (dash). Need to remove the center console to get to them.

2. Passenger side, right behind the parcel shelf wall. Need to remove the parcel shelf wall to access them.

3. Passenger side, Ground going to one of the bolts near the Trailing arm (not the trailing arm bolt itself).

4. Passenger side, Ground strap going from the engine to a bolt on the engine mount.

5. Drivers side, grounds going to bottom bolt that holds the ignition resistor to the metal bracket.

6. Single ground going to the bolt that holds the Vacuum advance solenoid to the throttle body.

7. Front of the car - at the mounting point of each radiator support brace. On page 1-3-1 of the parts manual the brace is parts ID #1. The bolt where it attaches to the frame provides grounds for much of the front of the car (lights, horns, etc.) There are ground points on both of the braces.

8. Passenger side from the frame (directly below the jump start lug) running up to a stud in the harness box.

9. Passengers side, on the forward side of the intake manifold, with a red heat shrink & blade connector. This one comes from a harness & if unplugged causes the Lambda system to not operate correctly.

10. Drivers side, under the parcel shelf with the ECU mountings & harnesses.

11. There's a connector with about 9 terminals, one is ground, that's parked inside the washer bottle cover. But it's not technically a "ground point". But it does ground much of the dashboard area! The black cover with the bottle inside it that's held on with way too many rusty screws. You can usually pull the cable out and get to the plug without taking the cover off. Carefully pull out the grommet that's right next to the cover.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Nice!

That is what I had in mind here:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...-Location-List

There are more to be found here:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...ound-Schematic

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1360-Ground-Bus

It would be great if someone familiar with them (such as yourself ;-) could pick out the ones missing and add to this.
    If you want, I can move this to the first link above (in the Resources Section) and make a sticky out of it....then append new findings to it as people post them in the thread?

I think Sean's idea of pics was good too (insert them in the sticky as people have a chance to take them).

Ron,
    Thanks for your links. I'm not familiar with many of them. The list is from what I gathered from others. A good comprehensive list would be good.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Your List is very comprehensive and to the point. If there was a picture to go with each description, that would make the perfect resource Stinky.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

I agree, a sticky with pics would be great.
    2004 Acura RSX Type S - Daily Driver
    1964 Chevrolet Impala SS - No, not a lowrider

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    At one point I had started a thread on a list of grounds. I thin it was under the old forum before it crashed. From the feedback on the old thread I have a list that perhaps is useful. The list may not be complete but for those wanting to clean the grounds on your car this might be useful.......
    Here is the document I was starting to work on before I had to take a little "siesta" from the forum.

It is a work in progress and mostly copied from the other thread on this same topic.

I just removed two of the photos to make it small enough to upload onto the forum. Bill's drawing was on the last page and Photo 1 was early on.

DeLoreanGroundsInProcess3.jpgDeLorean DMC-12 electrical grounds location list rev no photo.docxPhoto 1.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

I like the way you did it short form then expanded below in the .docx, Jonathan!

========

There is a lot of work different people have done on location lists and a buses separately floating around.

Let's collect it all and put it together!

I found these in the bit bucket:

Grounds (same as above with additions):
    Grounds.jpg

Grounds with Bill's Bus:
    GroundsWith Bus.jpg

Grounds with Bill's Bus & Pics:
    GroundsWithBus&Pics.jpg

GroundBusOverview.jpg

=====================

What do you guys think of doing it something like below (with better pics of coarse)?:

Locations:

1. Right side of the radio / A/C metal bracket (dash). .
    No1.jpg

2. Passenger side, right behind the parcel shelf wall.
    Image2.jpg

3. Passenger side, bolts near the Trailing arm (not the trailing arm bolt itself).

Details:

1. Need to remove the center console...

2. Need to remove the parcel shelf wall...
    Last edited by Ron; 07-14-2012 at 04:35 PM.

My ground from the battery is connected to the frame, not to the trailing arm. Someone had drilled a hole through the frame and bolted it on. They scraped away the rubber coating but not the POR-15. Obviously the ground is working but I wonder how much resistance there is in the POR-15?

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    My ground from the battery is connected to the frame, not to the trailing arm. Someone had drilled a hole through the frame and bolted it on. They scraped away the rubber coating but not the POR-15. Obviously the ground is working but I wonder how much resistance there is in the POR-15?
    I'd guess it is pretty high, but the fasteners bite into each other and if it is cranking your engine, the connection is handling 100+ amps....
    But then again, you can not get them too clean, and we're talking about deloreans ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I'd guess it is pretty high, but the fasteners bite into each other and if it is cranking your engine, the connection is handling 100+ amps....
    But then again, you can not get them too clean, and we're talking about deloreans ;-)
    I'm trying to make sure I connect the battery ground to the right bolt. There are two bolts on a plate holding the trailing arm to the frame. Is the cable suppose to be connected to one of those two bolts? I assume the cable needs to be next to that plate, then a washer on top of that and then the nut?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast