FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Concours for lemons

My VIN:    Formerly 2744

Club(s):   (DCF) (DMCNE)

Concours for lemons

I was watching "Chasing Classic Cars" the other day and this episode was about Wayne finding a car to show at a concours for lemons. Basically this was a show for cars in the worst condition you can imagine. For a very brief moment, the camera cuts to a shot of a DeLorean. The shot was from the front and the bonnet was up so the rest of the car wasn't visable. I'd like to get people's opinion on this. Especially those who are done with car shows because of the comments/disrespectful people. Do you think a car show like this is good to bring DeLoreans to?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

If you stay away from shows because the people are disrespectful around nice cars, think about how they will act around Junk cars.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

There was an award given at DCS for dirtiest DeLorean. Read into that what you wish. How can we get mad at the "outside world" when our own community does the same thing? Granted, it was a gag/joke award......but still.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Stanley View Post
    I was watching "Chasing Classic Cars" the other day and this episode was about Wayne finding a car to show at a concours for lemons. Basically this was a show for cars in the worst condition you can imagine. For a very brief moment, the camera cuts to a shot of a DeLorean. The shot was from the front and the bonnet was up so the rest of the car wasn't visable. I'd like to get people's opinion on this. Especially those who are done with car shows because of the comments/disrespectful people. Do you think a car show like this is good to bring DeLoreans to?
    The first car show that I took 10921 to was the British Car Show in 2001 at Brown's Island, Richmond, VA. The winners in each category were actually selected by the spectators and car owners who were given ballots. One category that I will always remember was " Car With Most Opportunity For Improvement". A Metropolitian won in that category.

There were four DeLoreans at the show and mine actually won in the DeLorean category. It was my first car show and I still have the engraved silver tray.

Rod

My VIN:    5482

I saw it the other day on a marathon. I had seen the episode once before but didn't notice until the second time I saw it. I paused the DVR and took a pic w/ my phone. Looks like a later model with the flat hood. Hard to tell but looks nice from what I can see.

ChasingClassicCars-Episode.jpg

My VIN:    6585

There is no such thing as bad publicity for DeLoreans. The marque has already been through controversy, countless jokes have been made, and really how much worse can it get?

In truth of course it's not that bad. Most car shows are never going to be a positive experience if you've got something outrageous like a DeLorean. Why? It's a competitive arena, and you've got the one thing that is going to draw all of the attention away from everyone else's car. You WILL piss people off on various levels. It's also been a car that has defied many, MANY experts over the years. People have said they won't last, they'll just be obscure footnotes in automotive history, they'll never be anything more than a cult car for a handful of people, etc. In truth of course the popularity of the car has increased over the years, values have gone up, and the naysayers have been proven wrong on so many levels. But the naysayers and the jealous get easily pissed. Those are the people that we don't just need to yell louder than, but we should recruit other people to speak against them as well.

The public loves DeLoreans. Competitors and proclaimed *car experts* don't, but they're not the majority. Get your cars on the road and show them off wherever, and whenever you can. For every one person who dismisses a DeLorean, there is a whole other group of people who would buy one and restore it. Those are the people that we need to stay relevant with. Whether it's BTTF, the pop culture geek chic, or the stubborn who love to just defy everyone, we should attract these people to our cars whenever possible. If not for that, I can attest that my infatuation with the car would never have started.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    There is no such thing as bad publicity for DeLoreans. The marque has already been through controversy, countless jokes have been made, and really how much worse can it get?

In truth of course it's not that bad. Most car shows are never going to be a positive experience if you've got something outrageous like a DeLorean. Why? It's a competitive arena, and you've got the one thing that is going to draw all of the attention away from everyone else's car. You WILL piss people off on various levels. It's also been a car that has defied many, MANY experts over the years. People have said they won't last, they'll just be obscure footnotes in automotive history, they'll never be anything more than a cult car for a handful of people, etc. In truth of course the popularity of the car has increased over the years, values have gone up, and the naysayers have been proven wrong on so many levels. But the naysayers and the jealous get easily pissed. Those are the people that we don't just need to yell louder than, but we should recruit other people to speak against them as well.

The public loves DeLoreans. Competitors and proclaimed *car experts* don't, but they're not the majority. Get your cars on the road and show them off wherever, and whenever you can. For every one person who dismisses a DeLorean, there is a whole other group of people who would buy one and restore it. Those are the people that we need to stay relevant with. Whether it's BTTF, the pop culture geek chic, or the stubborn who love to just defy everyone, we should attract these people to our cars whenever possible. If not for that, I can attest that my infatuation with the car would never have started.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9