FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Probably selling Christine. Thoughts on its value?

Probably selling Christine. Thoughts on its value?

Hey everyone. I've just had Life's Great Hammer drop on me all at once and it looks like my participation in this dream is going to have to come to a close.

Some of you are familiar with my basket case of a car. I realize that its current condition is not exactly a highly marketable one. I also realize that some of you have been quietly chanting "gonna see that one for sale soon" for the past four years or so. Here's your chance: you were right.

Realistically (and I mean realistically, please don't console me with pie in the sky value) what could I get for it?

Here's the status.

August 1981 manual grooved hood gray interior, ~36,000 miles.
    Engine modified for 3.0L slightly higher compression pistons on odd-fire crank and block
    EFI conversion 80% complete. No throttle position sensor or idle, and no ignition control (stock ignition in place). Not completely tuned to the level of a modern car, but less quirky than K-Jet. Realistically it might be easier for the end user to swap for a carb or go back to K-Jet. I was not planning to sell this car this soon and my documentation of the modifications is nonexistant, although if the buyer wants to retain MegaSquirt I'd be happy to detail everything I know for them.
    Engine currently not running due to a tap broken off in the cylinder head in one of the manifold bolt holes. The most economical method to fix this is to replace the driver's side cylinder head and/or have the head professionally milled out and either carefully helicoiled (the tap was to helicoil an already damaged thread) or weld a stud in. The engine was running beautifully before I decided to chase that thread.
    Old Yokohama AVS tires on the front, need replacing
    Interior is about 60%. Headliners are slightly stained, both seats need recovers along with the rear speaker panels, binnacle is cracked and there is some miscellaneous wear here and there.
    Wiring... the wiring on this car is a mess. Much of the original harness was lost when I bought it and there's a lot of EFI wiring in place. Easily removed if necessary (I think there are two or three connectors into the factory harness) but if someone wants to go back to K-Jet it'll need basically all new harnesses.
    Carpets are acceptable, floor mats are not.
    Converted to R134a, compressor leaks slightly and could use a professional rebuild. All new hoses, accumulator only a few years old and barely run, VOV installed, evaporator box rebuilt and the entire system thoroughly flushed at the time.

Given all of this (and I could probably write a novel on the million tiny things wrong with it) I know the value isn't great. Here's the good:
    Frame condition is good. Minor non-structural rust but the plating is mostly intact.
    New (zero mile) Kumho Ecsta ASX rear tires, 225/60/R15
    Shift linkage recently updated with new bushings and shift cable, shifts beautifully
    Fascias recently repainted
    Engine covers recently repainted
    Tail lights unfaded
    Engine bay completely repainted. The fiberglass of the engine bay is probably the nicest feature on the car.
    Lots of incidentals, e.g. stainless engine cover inserts, Wings-a-Loft door launchers and locks, comes with new in the box DPI door seals, Motorola alternator in box (needs factory pulley but comes with the new alternator adjuster linkage design)
    Comes with original window sticker, warranty card, owner's manual, literally every piece of paper it came with
    Doors work really well, minor adjustment needed on driver's door

I will also be selling any and all of my DeLorean related paraphernalia including some posters, a Covercraft car cover, any parts I have of value, some books, T-shirts if anyone wants them, DCS 2012 merchandise (group photo, T-shirt, VIN plate), and anything else I can dredge up. Whoever gets the car will get the Full Owner Experience starter kit of everything I've ever accumulated.

Given the history of the car and its current state, I'd consider it slightly above a parts car or a moderately involved (i.e. not a frame-off but not easy) restoration. It could go either way. I have a figure in mind but I'm hoping it's low. The main problem is the engine not being able to be reassembled. If I could bolt it back together it would fire up on the first try.

My expectation is that I'll probably end up selling it to DMC Florida for them to tear down and rebuild eventually, or scrap it for the left fender and torsion bars and such. I'd prefer it to go to a good home but it'll take someone with Chris Burns' enthusiasm and Tony Ierardi's resources to make it what it should have been.
    Aka Adam S, aka Adam Wright
    1981 DMC-12 #3416, mothballed in preparation for motor swap
    2006 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    3997

Sell it to chris burns
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

If I were you, I'd toss it up on some For Sale areas with a price of what you would REALISTICALLY like to get for it. See if you get any bites. If you do, hooray, you got what you wanted. If you don't, adjust the price from there. Either way it's a good starting point.

You could also make a good bit more money if you parted it out, but that's over a much longer period of time and your timeframe for sale doesn't look like it would allow for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    Sell it to chris burns
    Time wasted. He'd never actually buy it.
    - Chris

what

I would love to sell it to Chris, but unless he has WAY more money than I do to sink into this, it's a bad idea. I don't want what's happened to me to happen to someone else. I managed to retain my enthusiasm, but I'm a glutton for punishment I guess.

It needs to go to someone with the understanding that it's going to be an arduous restoration.

Also, Ron, yes you are correct. I cannot sustain the timeframe involved in parting it. It's more that it has to LEAVE than that I need to make money on it. Also I'm going to be selling even the few tools I have shortly, so disassembly would be nearly impossible.

I'm just not sure what it's worth. I'm honestly pretty well crushed by what's going on in my life and I can't figure an accurate asking cost at the moment. I just need to have an idea if I'm looking at $5, $100, $3,000, etc. It'll be listed as a best offer listing when I'm at that point, probably within the next two weeks.
    Last edited by AdmiralSenn; 07-19-2012 at 11:03 PM.
    2006 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    3757

So...

What is it... price wise... that you would part... yes really tuff question.. if the number is low enough.. it is sold!

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Adam,

sorry to hear about the "Hammer". Life sucks sometimes.

To help your case, in determining a price, how about posting some pics of how the car looks today. I looked through your albums and its not always clear which are the current photos. Some pics of the frame obviously would be good.

good luck.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn View Post
    Also, Ron
    Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa... Whoa... Whoa.

Whoa.
    - Chris

what

That's the problem, I don't know what a car in this condition is worth. It's technically not running, but easily fixable for anyone with resources.

As long as what I get for it is a fair price I don't care what it is. I just don't have the first idea what a fair price for it is.
    2006 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    2681

Club(s):   (DMA)

From what it sounds like, all you have is some minor engine repairs to make the car runnable? Why don't you spend a little bit of time to get the car running again, and then sell it? You'd have a MUCH easier time unloading it, and could fetch a price closer to it's true value.

In terms of value, since the car hasn't been sitting for ages, and the frame + stainless is in good shape, I think you're looking at the $5-$10k price range if the car isn't running. Detailed pictures of the cosmetics would help to give a more accurate assessment. If the car was running I think you're in much better shape though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    Sell it to chris burns
    Cannot, for the life of me, figure out why this continues to appear. "Sell it to Chris Burns", "Let's all buy Chris Burns a DeLorean", "Chris Burns deserves a DeLorean!"

By his own admission, Chris is unemployed. Chris has also admitted he can't afford a DeLorean (indicating that he also does not have a pile of cash sitting somewhere which would obviate his need for employment).

Trying to keep these two facts in mind, how exactly would Chris be able to afford DeLorean ownership, or even the gas? How could the consequence of Chris somehow getting a DeLorean be anything but a catastrophic train wreck, financially? What happens to cars that are owned by folks with no money? They end up on eBay...not running...and with no LFF and no LH torsion bar.

I like my DeLorean, but it is a SERIOUS money pit if you want to keep it looking nice.

Chris will work out his situation on his own. We don't have to "help" him.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast