FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Creak When Braking

My VIN:    6679

Creak When Braking

I am hearing a creak from the front.

It does occur when:
    Braking from any kind of speed
    When going over anything on the road that causes the suspension to expand/compress

It does not occur when:
    Manually pushing down on front of car to compress the suspension
    Braking very very gently from a slow speed
    Pushing hard on the brakes when not in motion

Looking at the exploded view in the parts manual I am wondering if breaking and suspension while in motion could be putting pressure on, and revealing a problem with, the anti-roll bar end bushes (108912), the mid-point anti-roll bar rubbers (100774), and/or the lower arm bushes (100154)?

Appreciate a "noise" is hard to diagnose but wondering what others thoughts are on potential culprits could be so I can order and replace the lot.
    Chris

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Often you can find a squeak by hitting a few parts at a time with a water hose then try to reproduce it. Of coarse you don't want to use silicone spray on the pads or rotors, but it works even better on rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Often you can find a squeak by hitting a few parts at a time with a water hose then try to reproduce it. Of coarse you don't want to use silicone spray on the pads or rotors, but it works even better on rubber.
    Great idea thanks Ron. Water though? What about a displacement/lubricant such as WD40?
    Chris

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

I found that the nut that holds the front axle shaft was finger tight instead of 150+ lb., made brakes squeal at any speed.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Tillsy View Post
    Great idea thanks Ron. Water though? What about a displacement/lubricant such as WD40?
    It's safe since everything gets wet all of the time anyway (cheap, and it's usually handy ;-) I've used WD in the past but use PB/Seafoam these days (for bound parts). They make a stinky mess which is why I said silicon..it penetrates pretty well, not as harsh on surroundings, and seems easier to clean up to me. Did I say they others literally stink? It just depends on what/where I'm testing and the mess it will make...

Another reason for water is I can wet the whole area and see if it will help, then narrow down (by half) until I just pick and choose....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    It's safe since everything gets wet all of the time anyway
    That's a good point - cheers!
    Chris

I filled a spray bottle with water and squirted the left side anti-roll bar bush as that is where I thought the sound was coming from. Drove a few metres and hit the brakes, reversed, and retried several times - no change.

I then sprayed the right side anti-roll bar bush, drove a few metres, and braked - the sound seemed a little different this time. Reversed and tried again - SILENT!!! Repeated quite a few times and it was still dead silent!

Have now applied WD40 and taken her out for shakedown cruise #6 - she was an absolute beauty!

Thanks for the tip Ron! Next question is whether it was simply dried out and is now happy, or the bush still needs replacing. I am figuring I should replace them both anyway...

BTW SS Spoiler thanks for your help too, really appreciate your first post being to help someone I quickly checked both front axle nuts last night when I read your post but they were on nice and tight!
    Chris

Just a quick wrap-up.

Like most of the 30 year old rubber bushings they were looking a little worse for wear so decided they should be replaced. Took the opportunity to import and install Toby's polyurethane upgrade kit last week.

WOW what a difference - love it
    Chris